CSP Monitoring on APX7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan3294

Hey everyone. I'm wondering if I buy a Motorola APX7000, can it be programmed to CT State Police frequencies (legally) so I can monitor them (as a handheld scanner would do) but not transmit?
I'm looking at getting a new radio for my EMS job (VHF) and was going to get the APX7000 in VHF/800MHZ if I could use it to monitor CSP on the 800MHZ side. Not sure if this is possible...

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think you would be better off with a digital scanner, it would be the simpler approach.

n9zas

ryan3294

Yes, but then I would have to carry two radios. The question is, is it possible? If so, I think it would be worth the original headache of programming...

bezking

I haven't heard of anybody sneaking past affiliation on the APX yet. I would say if you are going to pay the $5000+ retail for a new APX, it's not worth having it killed by the system operators...

PJH

Premium Subscriber
No you cannot. The radio requires active affilation and the system is setup to kill radios with ID's out of range. In short, it sends the kill command and your radio will not turn on, and you CANNOT get it reactivated unless sent to Motorola, who will want to know why it was inhibited.

In addition you would need certain settings that you will not find here on RR that must be properly programmed in.

Again, not a wise choice.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wrong. Search around a bit, the "forced affiliation" thing has been worked around.

Maybe, but the point being that the APX7000 is NOT a scanner and it's highly unlikely that the average person without the correct commands would get it to function as such.
Let us know if you find anyone walking around with his new APX7000 "scanner", I just don't see it.

n9zas

PJH

Premium Subscriber
It zaps. If Someone with a hijacked Id or similar manner, the radio will regroup to a certain talk group.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
On the APX? Source?

The APX handles it the same as the XTS5000 series. It works on there, why wouldn't it work on the APX?

Either way, its a bad idea unless you know what you're doing. If you have to ask on here, you don't know what you're doing.

P25CT

Not to mention this small little detail:

It's illegal, even to the extent of possibly violating anti-terrorism laws, and that's not a comfortable position to be in.

And to boot, if the CSP Comms team happened to have the time despite their huge workload to track you down, I'm pretty damn sure they would prosecute.

Good luck with that.

Like the man said, buy a scanner.

Don't take me wrong, I and some others here are trying to help you.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Terrorism, a VERY large reach. Authorized access to a computer system in Connecticut, yes. Specifically 53a-251(b)(2)(C), prob in the fifth degree depending on how they want to word the "amount of loss" they want to claim.

As an aside, a few months back some fire chief's and others got jammed up over the same thing down south...but it was more along the lines of programming up radios to be used without proper authorization. Same general principal though. Usually they swing it as a felony but depending on what happens knocked down to a mis.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Well, not only there, but has been a problem nationwide on several systems...local and statewide. Either way, still a good example.

XTS3000

First, if your not an USMSS Certified Electronics Technician and Certified Astro 6.x/7.x Repeater Site Technician, you probably don't know what can and can't be done and how to do it properly.

An XTS3000/AstroSaber/Astro25/APX radio can be programmed so it is 100% silent and invisible to any Astro6.x/7.x repeater. Those who say it can't, just don't know how. A scanner site/forum is not the best place to ask for two-way radio information. Your almost certain to get the same reply: "buy a scanner".

In the Michigan AG case, Felde and his friends were charged with feleny's pertaining to stolen property, illegally manufatured radios, unauthorized access to computer networks (used to embezzle $1000-$20,000). This is an encrypted TRS, so these guys needed someone on the inside to provide the encryption keys. All these guys activities leading up to selling these radios is what the crime was. Not putting radios on the TRS. If this was a "radio" crime, the FCC would have been involved.

XTS3000

I haven't heard of anybody sneaking past affiliation on the APX yet. I would say if you are going to pay the $5000+ retail for a new APX, it's not worth having it killed by the system operators...

It CAN be done. P25 auth, no.

Marky102770

RE: Monitoring on APX

I am looking into it myself. Because I have a XTS5000 and I monitor Philadelphia PD with It. The person who programmed it programmed it where it will not affiliate so the radio will not get bricked. he made it where I couldn't accidently hit the PPT button I am sure there is a way to monitor any police department as long and you don't enter the transmit frequencies.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
and not to mention i heared from a good few sources including one of my good friends manny who is on here that the state police will probably be going to the 700 csern system TDMA 2 in the near future, so even if you were lucky enough to get this radio programmed it would be a brick when they do the switch over. Besides the fact the state police have MDTS in their cars, so alot of stuff probably get dispatched over them. and listen to what PJH says he knows what hes talking about,i been on here along time and has not steered anyone wrong yet,hes very smart and knows his stuff.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I have a Motorola Astra Saber set up to scan the Connecticut State Police system, it works perfectly. Forget that I have physically removed the PTT on the radio and speaker Mic, the radio does not affiliate.

There are ways to make these radios work without them affiliating with the system.

I am around Staties fairly often in my job, many have seen the radio, some have even checked it out, no one has ever had an issue or investigated the radio further. A few have pressed the PTT though and never said anything further once they realized it was unable to transmit.

Status
Not open for further replies.