CSP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Premium Subscriber
They are not fully up to the P25 standard. They still use the 3600 baud control channel. All voice traffic is digital to the P25 standard.
What the did complete is the rebanding project as well as installing a new controller (which is 9600 baud CC capable). It is very likely they will change but not in the near future and very unlikely that it would even be in the next 3 years.

chris

scanningisfun

They are not fully up to the P25 standard. They still use the 3600 baud control channel. All voice traffic is digital to the P25 standard.
What the did complete is the rebanding project as well as installing a new controller (which is 9600 baud CC capable). It is very likely they will change but not in the near future and very unlikely that it would even be in the next 3 years.

chris

This is what I was wanting.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
There is steam to move to full 9600, however the funding in the past year or so for any further advancement has basically disappeared (state and federal funding).

The system as it stands now is very capable, and other than 3rd party manufactures to get on the system, there isn't a true need to cover over to full APCO25 trunking...right now the cost doesn't justify the benefit. If anything, capacity expansion and coverage enhancement is at the time of the list where its needed. DOT was rumored to be the next major user of the system but I don't know the status of that (again, funding).

What I would love to see is it become more available to local municpailities to sign onto the system and make it a true "state system" than primarly a CSP system. There is no policy that local users can't come onto the system, but no one is really knocking on their doors to come over either.

KB1JHU

Does anyone have an accurate updated channel/TG list? The database here and the Wiki at ScanNewEngland don't match up and I think there were a few things I heard when they did the mass reband/update that didn't jive with either list. Unfortunately my notes are all on my old computer that is currently OOS.

wesct

Does anyone have an accurate updated channel/TG list? The database here and the Wiki at ScanNewEngland don't match up and I think there were a few things I heard when they did the mass reband/update that didn't jive with either list. Unfortunately my notes are all on my old computer that is currently OOS.

I know this is a little old, but the info on Scan New England is current and up to date. The info on this site is very old.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Unless someone changed information, the list on rr was current with the rebranding effort for CSP specific talk groups.

RKG

There is steam to move to full 9600, however the funding in the past year or so for any further advancement has basically disappeared (state and federal funding).

The system as it stands now is very capable, and other than 3rd party manufactures to get on the system, there isn't a true need to cover over to full APCO25 trunking...right now the cost doesn't justify the benefit. If anything, capacity expansion and coverage enhancement is at the time of the list where its needed. DOT was rumored to be the next major user of the system but I don't know the status of that (again, funding).

What I would love to see is it become more available to local municpailities to sign onto the system and make it a true "state system" than primarly a CSP system. There is no policy that local users can't come onto the system, but no one is really knocking on their doors to come over either.

Bringing non-state entities onto a state trunked system by subscription has not, in other states, worked out too well:

a) The costs charged by the system to the subscribers is quite large;
b) Many times the system requires subscribers to buy their subscriber equipment from them, at inflated prices;
c) In site where the number of voice channels is limited, non-state subscribers find themselves busy'd off the system by a higher priority state-agency ISWs;
d) Likewise, the allocation of voice channels to failsoft function usually excludes the non-state entities, who are essentially off the air in the event that trunking control fails.

Finally, there is always the lesson of Katrina -- or, more properly, the observation from Katrina of an age-old rule -- about placing all one's eggs in one basket. For lack of a radiator missile shield, virtually all public safety communications were taken off the air in the New Orleans area.

There's probably also a bunch of other reasons that I haven't heard about that further diminish the attractiveness of local subscription to a state trunked system.

wesct

Unless someone changed information, the list on rr was current with the rebranding effort for CSP specific talk groups.

Current frequecies for Troop H :

09 853.2625 852.7625 852.4125 851.9375 851.4000 851.0375 Troop H & W (Rebanded)
As seen on Scan New England (Thank You Scott and CG)

The 6th channel has been in use for almost a year. 851.0375

The RR database is not current. The database admin was aleady told to use that info, but it was never changed.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Bob, oh I agree... especially with the subscription based service. I've seen some rates of $20 per radio plus airtime. That can add up to a lot of money. For some reason the IL StarNET comes to mind, but thats actually owned by Motorola, so somewhat different there.

Westct... I'm not sure who was told what, but I did see anything in the database submission log.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Yes, and we haven't been out to dinner for quite some time. Will need to round everyone back up next time when everyone is back in town.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Current frequecies for Troop H :

09 853.2625 852.7625 852.4125 851.9375 851.4000 851.0375 Troop H & W (Rebanded)
As seen on Scan New England (Thank You Scott and CG)

The 6th channel has been in use for almost a year. 851.0375

The RR database is not current. The database admin was aleady told to use that info, but it was never changed.

I just made the changes and added 851.03750 for Troop H and W.

- Chris

RKG

Yes, and we haven't been out to dinner for quite some time. Will need to round everyone back up next time when everyone is back in town.

I've suggested to Alex that his rep as cruise director is in some jeopardy.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Haha.. very true. I'll try to get a heads up next time I am back in the area since a career path relocated me a little further out...but thats for a topic on another board :)

Status
Not open for further replies.