CSP Special OPS Dist 1, Dist 3 & Dist 6. Aircraft Frequencies from Watching speeders from above

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me what counties these are in, and are they any in Larimer/Weld Counties CSP Special Ops 1, 6 & 3 and what mainly does special OPS do?

What traffic frequencies does CSP aircrafts use for mainly for
Larimer/Weld Counties and from Denver North to Wyoming Border I-25 & highway 85?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
The "special ops" stuff seem to be a whatever talk channel for whomever knows that they exist. Ops 1 is often used by the academy for radio training with dispatchers. In theory, Ops 1 is assigned to Denver Dispatch, Ops 2 to Pueblo Dispatch, Ops 3 to Alamosa Dispatch, Ops 4 to Montrose Dispatch, and Ops 5 to Craig Dispatch. In reality, it does not seem like the dispatchers or troops really care for what is assigned to where on the books because they are rarely used.

CSP aircraft use either Air Tac (TG 2362) or one of the Simplex frequencies depending on what the pilot feels like for the day. They do not go north too often, maybe once a quarter or so.

KE0HIN

Spirit the last few weeks (and regularly in the past) the Airplane has been doing lots of speed trap work between Berthoud and Longmont on 287 due to the rash of major wrecks and deaths ...................

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Spirit the last few weeks (and regularly in the past) the Airplane has been doing lots of speed trap work between Berthoud and Longmont on 287 due to the rash of major wrecks and deaths ...................
Do you know any frequencies they have been using?

Spirit

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone hear no the NAC Codes for the Mutual Aid for CSP on there 700's Frequencies, on the 800's I have 293 Nac Codes but none for the 700's just P25.

ScannerSK

Does anyone hear no the NAC Codes for the Mutual Aid for CSP on there 700's Frequencies, on the 800's I have 293 Nac Codes but none for the 700's just P25.

Are you referring to the following:
764.05625700 Simplex (700 M/A-1)
764.06875700 Simplex (700 M/A-2)
775.99375700 Simplex (700 M/A-3)
794.05625700 Simplex (700 M/A-4)
794.06875700 Simplex (700 M/A-5)
805.99375700 Simplex (700 M/A-6)

ScannerSK

Thanks for checking. Do you know any frequencies for CSP Aircraft for speed traps
On rare occassions they can still use the old VHF frequencies: 154.770, 154.905 & 154.935. At times, I have heard them use one of the five 800 MHz simplex frequencies over I-25. I have heard them on the CSP Special Ops channel catching speeders however not likely in Weld County.

I'm thinking the simplex frequencies and VHF frequencies would be a good place to look.

crazy88

Premium Subscriber
I feel like I have heard Airborne 1 or Airborne 2 check in on the 3A/3C DTRS channel. It's extremely rare, but I have heard them say "this is airborne 1, 10-41 in the 3C area" or something of that nature, and go back to whatever normal channel they operate on. It was quite obvious they were communicating via an aircraft headset. After those check ins, I never really hear them communicating with ground units on 3A/3C for speeders.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
They are listed in RadioReference without a NAC: Colorado Mutual Aid (Colorado) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I program them in with a NAC Search so I receive all the radio traffic no matter what NAC code is used. I don't believe I have ever heard anything on these mutual aid channels.
I am not sure what the origins of those 700 MHz frequencies are other than it probably being something that was nationally listed for a very short period back when national mutual aid frequencies were included on that page. They are not listed in either the national or state Field Operations Guides for interoperable communications or by CCNC.

As far as I can tell, it is likely some residual stuff from the early days of 700 MHz when everyone was drafting all sorts of plans for the band before things got settled and all of those frequencies got allocated to FirstNet. It seems like an FCC license was required to use those frequencies, most of which were granted around 2006 to a grand total of 17 entities, but no one in Colorado had ever applied for a license for those frequencies. Almost everyone who licensed those frequencies ended up cancelling the license or letting it expire.

It seems like those frequencies were likely replaced with the new 700 MHz itinerant frequencies that are listed in NIFOG and the national database. One may notice that the new itinerant frequencies are offset from the old frequencies so that they fit into the current 700 MHz narrowband allocation.

They should probably be removed from the database at this point considering that all of the other national stuff got floated up to the Nationwide database more than a decade ago, and I am not aware of anyone who has heard them being used in the state.

Troop

Typically Air Tac is used for SPEED OPERATIONS rather than traps….nobody is trapping anyone in an established speed limit. Most flight originate from Centennial and once the plane is airborne they switch to air tac or a simplex channel….sometimes a Troop tac channel. Our ops channels are typically used for special events and or special enforcement events or checkpoints

Troop

It’s also worth noting, the radio in the planes is multi agency, statewide to include all of Denver/Springs metro area

Troop

Troop, can you tell me what the Air Tac Freq.'s are?
I think the TG was somewhere in this string. It's on the DTRS. The planes have no VHF radios as far as the police side of things. It's all DTRS, FRCC and all the other ones floating out there.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I think the TG was somewhere in this string. It's on the DTRS. The planes have no VHF radios as far as the police side of things. It's all DTRS, FRCC and all the other ones floating out there.

From post #2
CSP aircraft use either Air Tac (TG 2362) or one of the Simplex frequencies depending on what the pilot feels like for the day.

This is in the db as:
2362 CSP Troop 8A Troop 8A Aircraft

Last edited: