CSP Town Constables vs. Resident Troopers

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference between constables and resident troopers.

I've noticed that there are resident trooper office consoles 1809XXX as well as constables using municipality-specific radio ID's.

In Barkhamsted, it would appear that there is only one constable listed (BC79) and I happen to know we have a resident state trooper so I'm assuming that's him.
In several other towns, there are multiple constables listed for one town (BCXX for New Hartford and LCXX for Woodbury and Burlington)

Do these towns have multiple resident troopers, and are resident troopers and constables interchangeable terms?

TIA

smartconnect

astro25 v7.17
I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference between constables and resident troopers.

I've noticed that there are resident trooper office consoles 1809XXX as well as constables using municipality-specific radio ID's.

In Barkhamsted, it would appear that there is only one constable listed (BC79) and I happen to know we have a resident state trooper so I'm assuming that's him.
In several other towns, there are multiple constables listed for one town (BCXX for New Hartford and LCXX for Woodbury and Burlington)

Do these towns have multiple resident troopers, and are resident troopers and constables interchangeable terms?

TIA
Constables operate under the town’s resident trooper. They are usually retired troopers, but are POST certified law enforcement officers. Some towns use resident troopers alongside the constabulary. Some use Resident troopers when the Constables can’t work, ie night shift.

It all depends.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
The numbers go with the troop BCXX= Troop B ACXX Troop= A and so forth

Some towns have a lot of constables like Southbury and some have none and just use the troop

nhfdcadet

GCT-1
Premium Subscriber

TIA
BC79 is Officer Wood who is the SRO at NWRMS. 596 is Trooper Attmore who is the Resident Trooper.
Resident troopers are troopers, constables are municipal officers.

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Good info, thanks!

How about New Hartford? I've heard BC-87 on the same radio as #320. Assuming #320 is the resident trooper, is BC-87 a separate officer?

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thanks!

So according to the website, Rafael Figueiral is the resident trooper (presumably #896 or #1123), and Rob Janco and Pat Berardinelli are the two active constables, with two constable vacancies (I'm assuming BC63/BC78/BC84/BC87).

Any idea who is who?

Last edited:

nhfdcadet

GCT-1
Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thanks!

So according to the website, Rafael Figueiral is the resident trooper (presumably #896 or #1123), and Rob Janco and Pat Berardinelli are the two active constables, with two constable vacancies (I'm assuming BC63/BC78/BC84/BC87).

Any idea who is who?
Figueiral is day shift resident, 1123, wedge 896 is eves resident. Constables are BC87 R Janco, BC84 P Berardinelli, and BC78 M Puzzo. BC63 recently left and BC84 is leaving within the year.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
There are a few towns that that have their own police force under the authority of a Resident State Trooper. They are Police Offices versus Constables. A lot of that has to do with the meaning of Constable within the state and their duties. That is a whole other subject.

Any "police officer" working in a town with a police force come from other police departments in the state or were a trooper, but there have been some newer hires in the past if the town has a police force under the RST system. When I worked Troop I as a dispatcher, Prospect and Beacon Falls had police officers, Bethany did not. Bethany did have a couple part-time constables at the time, but the RST and troops patrolled the town. The police force in Beacon Falls if I remember right called them "Constables" but Prospect called them "Officers". Both had arresting powers, were POST certified and just used the different terminology. Things probably have changed since I left many moons ago.

Here is the link to the state site for towns who are under the RST system: Resident Trooper Towns

Also more information here: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/rpt/pdf/2016-R-0246.pdf

This link to the PDF gives an in depth explanations on who have RSTs, which ones have a police department affiliated with the RST, who has 2 resident troopers, who shares a RST, etc.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
There are a few towns that that have their own police force under the authority of a Resident State Trooper. They are Police Offices versus Constables. A lot of that has to do with the meaning of Constable within the state and their duties. That is a whole other subject.

Any "police officer" working in a town with a police force come from other police departments in the state or were a trooper, but there have been some newer hires in the past if the town has a police force under the RST system. When I worked Troop I as a dispatcher, Prospect and Beacon Falls had police officers, Bethany did not. Bethany did have a couple part-time constables at the time, but the RST and troops patrolled the town. The police force in Beacon Falls if I remember right called them "Constables" but Prospect called them "Officers". Both had arresting powers, were POST certified and just used the different terminology. Things probably have changed since I left many moons ago.

Here is the link to the state site for towns who are under the RST system: Resident Trooper Towns

Also more information here: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/rpt/pdf/2016-R-0246.pdf

This link to the PDF gives an in depth explanations on who have RSTs, which ones have a police department affiliated with the RST, who has 2 resident troopers, who shares a RST, etc.
Were you the voice of " I Land" when the "Hawk" was around?

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I noticed that. I sent DESPP a message pointing that out...Bonetti hasn't been our resident for like a decade LOL

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the input on the constables. I've updated constables for Woodbury, Burlington, New Hartford, and Barkhamsted

bmeehan282

Premium Subscriber
"Resident State Trooper" is a misleading term, people thinking the Trooper is a resident of that town would be mistaken. In most of the RST Towns, that Trooper is either the lone law enforcement guy who is assigned to that town, usually doing the typical 4 on 3/5-2 off type of schedule, and covers the office and majority of calls in that town. The thought process is that townspeople can go talk to the local law enforcement guy rather than the remote troop location. In most of these small towns, the RST is more of a social worker/problem solver than battling crime like in bigger communities. In larger "small" towns (oxymoron) the RST would supervise the "Constables" who as stated earlier are certified police officers, typically retired guys, or part timers who work for another force. Smaller communities cannot afford to hire someone, send them to the police academy, only for them to move on to a larger department five minutes later. Some even larger small towns have multiple "RST's" and even a supervisory RST Sergeant to watch over multiple officers. With the staffing challenges the CSP has now, it's harder and harder to keep these places staffed up, some are moving on to their own departments. Southbury has had a number of RSTs and more than 20 constables employed, and are moving on to their own police force now...

adamfancher

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the additional info!
I recognized your username as I was just updating fire coordinators the other day....HQ-98, right?

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Were i am in old lyme we have a few full time constables and a couple part time

a constable has full police power. just means there dispatched by the troop.

there are a few town here in CT that dont have any of the above and rely on the local troop