COLORADO STATE PATROL

NEWS RELEASE

Public Affairs Unit

700 Kipling St. Denver, CO 80215

Trooper Ryan Sullivan

Public Information Officer

(303) 239-4583

PREPARED STATEMENT

This is news release confirming the incident from Douglas County this morning. On March 22, 2010 at approximately 7:00 a.m., Colorado State Patrol Trooper David Dolan was contacted by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office for erratic driving on westbound C470 at Platte Canyon. Trooper Dolan was taken into custody for the investigation of Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Department is conducting the criminal investigation in reference to this incident.

“I am very concerned and disturbed regarding the events of this morning. The Colorado State Patrol takes any violation of law and/or policy seriously and we will move quickly and thoroughly through this administrative investigation. While any violation of law is serious, this alleged act is very concerning given the nature of the mission of the Colorado State Patrol. We have a 75 year history of combating impaired and drunken driving and are deeply committed to eradicating this senseless crime on our roads, said Colonel James Wolfinbarger, Chief of the Colorado State Patrol.”

Trooper Dolan will be placed on unpaid administrative leave pursuant to Colorado State Personnel Rules. The Colorado State Patrol has launched a concurrent administrative investigation.

Colorado State Trooper David Dolan was hired January 22, 1989 and is a 21 year veteran of the patrol assigned to our Selections Unit out of Colorado Springs.

Photo attached.

speard

Premium Subscriber
There is audio in the DougCo archives, and a little bit on the 1C archives.

dw2872

I heard the Denver State Patrol dispatch call on a statewide channel for "CSP car 544" and he actually answered the radio at 6:58 am. The dispatcher was flabbergasted and told him, after a long pause of her keyed-up mike that they had a complaint on car 544 and it was not in the system. He answered with only "10-4". They had no further comms after that.

Douglas County Sheriff pulled him over a few minutes later.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Dolan then chose to take a breath test and blew a .194, a level more than double the .08 legal limit.

A spokesperson for Douglas County Sheriff's Office says Douglas County dispatch received multiple calls from people reporting that a marked Colorado State Patrol vehicle was driving erratically northbound on Interstate 25, just before the Castle Rock area.

Dolan was in full uniform at the time of his arrest.

Jim<

jfab

this is very disapointing. don't you think its ironic that he was on the ART, investigation numerous fatal dui accidents, and he chooses to do this? very upseting. I can't imagine the things he saw and dealt with, and I feel sorry for him. But when you take the oath and put on that badge, you have certain obligations, especially for the biggest DUI enforcement agency in the state.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
It is disappointing that an individual's problem was exposed in such a way as to embarrass all of us in public safety. I worked in the DUI unit for several years and know many CSP officers, as well as state troopers from across the country. Ours easily rate among the top 10 in the United States, and an incident like this shouldn't be allowed to take away from that.

Troop

It is disappointing that an individual's problem was exposed in such a way as to embarrass all of us in public safety. I worked in the DUI unit for several years and know many CSP officers, as well as state troopers from across the country. Ours easily rate among the top 10 in the United States, and an incident like this shouldn't be allowed to take away from that.

I agree....the best part about the patrol, after a deal like this we move forward and do our jobs better than before.......I dont know if they had put it in the releases...this guy didnt work ART anymore, he was part of the Selections Troop (South)

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
I agree....the best part about the patrol, after a deal like this we move forward and do our jobs better than before.......I dont know if they had put it in the releases...this guy didnt work ART anymore, he was part of the Selections Troop (South)

What is the "Selections Troop"? Is that something to do with recruitment?

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Yup, recruiters and background investigation.

Thanks!

It is a shame that one bad apple puts a black eye on the others. All my interactions with CSP Troopers (and none as a violator!), have all been pleasant and they have all been very professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.