CSP - Weird Squelch Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budman231

I re-banded my Pro-96 and seem to receive voice fine. On occasion the control channel static opens the squelch with no voice to be heard. This didn't happen before the re-banding that I remember. Anyone notice this on a Pro-96 ?

Any ideas why this would happen on a digital system ?

Thanks,
Bud

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I re-banded my Pro-96 and seem to receive voice fine. On occasion the control channel static opens the squelch with no voice to be heard. This didn't happen before the re-banding that I remember. Anyone notice this on a Pro-96 ?

Any ideas why this would happen on a digital system ?

Thanks,
Bud

I get an open carrier on voice channel 853.500 on the Troop G zone once in a while. Whenever the control channel calls on that frequency, after the voice transmission is finished, sometimes the carrier locks the channel on and you hear the squelch noise. Nothing you can do about it except turn your squelch all the way up and hope that the carrier is weak enough so the squelch control would eliminate it.
I have the Pro-106 but I had the same problem with my Pro-96 before I got rid of it.
Incidentally, my Uniden BDC-396XT does not do this. That radio has a "digital only" mode for trunked systems which eliminates any analog carriers.

Bob

garys

Premium Subscriber
On Motorola trunk systems, at least in Uniden XT scanners, the fix is to turn on the "Motorola End Code" feature. That will solve the hanging audio channel problem. I had that exact problem with the Mass. State Police trunk system and that was the fix.

I haven't had that problem with my Pro197 so I guess it's not an issue with the RS or GRE OOS scanners.

Remember that although the voice on the CSP channel is P25 compliant, the control channels are Motorola 3600 baud, so the system is not a true P25 trunk. I don't know that the CSP has any analog audio talk groups even though technologically it could be both analog and digital.

Budman231

I get an open carrier on voice channel 853.500 on the Troop G zone once in a while. Whenever the control channel calls on that frequency, after the voice transmission is finished, sometimes the carrier locks the channel on and you hear the squelch noise. Nothing you can do about it except turn your squelch all the way up and hope that the carrier is weak enough so the squelch control would eliminate it.
I have the Pro-106 but I had the same problem with my Pro-96 before I got rid of it.
Incidentally, my Uniden BDC-396XT does not do this. That radio has a "digital only" mode for trunked systems which eliminates any analog carriers.

Bob

Sounds like my trustee Pro-96 is just to old to keep up with the digital world. May have to bite the bullet and step up to a newer radio...

Thanks Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.