CSV (comma delimited) file has anyone ever made one for the bearcat digital scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabiker

Has anyone out there every made a CSV (comma delimited) file for the 396t or the 996xt? And if they have I was wondering if someone has a sample file that I could look at to learn how to make my own CSV file. I have made many CSV files in my day but I am not sure how to list them out. Such as making talk groups and setting up channels and all the listings for how they are set up on the files so that they work when uploaded to the 396t and the 996xt and how to set up the talk groups on the file itself if anyone knows how to do this or has a sample CSV file I would sure like to see it so that I can learn how to set one up for myself and others in my area.If anyone has made these files i would be willing to make them for others if someone had a sample file showing me how they are set up.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Making a CSV file by hand from scratch seems like it would be a tedious process. There are free programs out there like bcTool and FreeScan that can export your programming into a CSV file. FreeScan can tap into the RadioReference database for you since you are a premium subscriber. It would be loads easier to do it that way instead of creating a CSV file in a text editor, unless I'm missing something here...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
.csv files aren't used for importing, generally (although there are a few packages out there that allow this). They are best used in apps like Excel for more sophisticated data mining and so forth.

You are already a premium subscriber; you can use an application that downloads data (including talkgroups) from our database into it. Since you have a 396T and XT, your best bet is the freeware FreeScan (which just released a new version, by the way - and note that all links are in blue). The user manual is in our wiki.

To understand how to set up your scanners, you need to understand how DMA works and what it does. I would suggest reading the Uniden DMA FAQ linked in the Popular Topics section of the wiki main page. In addition, in order to make a connection between the scanner and PC, you will need a USB-serial converter. 2 distributors - one from Uniden (USB-1) and Monoprice - have been known to work, although undoubtedly others might work, too. In the Links for Newcomers area, read the article entitled 'Connecting Scanners via USB'

At the bottom of the FAQ are links to the Easier to Read online manuals. Download the one for the 396T and 996. If you understand this one, it's a short jump logically to the XT models, which uses the same technology, but with different capabilities.

To get to the wiki main page where these sections are found, simply float your mouse over Wiki in the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, then select Wiki Homepage

You have some reading to do. Take your time and ask questions (you will, I'm sure). Once the 'Aha' goes off, you'll understand how DMA is a pretty powerful architecture to work with 73 Mike

Last edited:

dabiker

Sorry man, I new to the forum thing so i was trying to hit the right category so that i can learn how to do this, and i did load it under two differnt categories so that it would be seen and that i could get the knowledge that i am in search of.I know i have been a member for along time and i just started learning the forum thing.

sjlamb

Making a CSV file by hand from scratch seems like it would be a tedious process. There are free programs out there like bcTool and FreeScan that can export your programming into a CSV file. FreeScan can tap into the RadioReference database for you since you are a premium subscriber. It would be loads easier to do it that way instead of creating a CSV file in a text editor, unless I'm missing something here...

Right on.... makes zero sense to build the file from scratch when FreeScan will do it for you in about 30 seconds.... and, cost zero cents (haha... get it?? Sense vs. Cents.... I kill me) :D

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Right on.... makes zero sense to build the file from scratch when FreeScan will do it for you in about 30 seconds.... and, cost zero cents (haha... get it?? Sense vs. Cents.... I kill me) :D

Oh crap. Now we have to worry about seeing Steve on "Americas Next Comedian" :cool:

And I agree with the others: Use freescan and export into a csv. Works great!
Marshall KE4ZNR

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I think what you are asking about is making your own software to load system info into the scanner. (CSV is a generic term for a file that has comma-seperated elements...the specific format for such a file would depend on the software used to read it, and as a generic term has nothing to do with any particular scanner).

The protocol for communicating with the scanner is available for download. See the bottom of the following pages:
BCD396TFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
BCD996XTFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

alwayslookin

Is there any way possible to export sites and talkgroups from Freescan or Proscan to import to win500? The reason im asking is cause when I do the web import using proscan or free scan the talkgroups appear different then the win500 does when using web import. Example for Jeffersonville police using Proscan or Freescan it shows 10 JPD DISP1 as a talkgroup which I like. When using Win500 it just shows Jeffersonvile PD. I know I can do it all manually just wonder if there was an easier way to export or anything like that. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.