• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CSV import in PPS Version 03.14.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Did I miss documentation somewhere on how to format the csv file for talkgroup information from Radio Reference to import into PPS? I'm running the latest version 03.14.10.

I've tried variations of the following (which I found in another group) and all I keep getting is "The data format of this file is incorrect." Does the file need column headers?

62517,,AKRON FD ADMIN6,,,,
62519,,AKRON FD ADMIN8,,,,
62524,,AKRON FD CMD,,,,
62525,,AKRON FD DISP,,,,
62526,,AKRON EMS,,,,
62527,,AKRON FG4,,,,
62528,,AKRON FG5,,,,
62529,,AKRON FG6,,,,
62530,,AKRON FG7,,,,
62531,,AKRON FG8,,,,
62532,,AKRON FG9,,,,

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or just past the first couple lines of a CSV that imports successfully. Thanks.

N6ML

You probably do need the header line. Here's the top of a real RR CSV file (you're supposed to download it from RR, which requires subscription):

Code:
Decimal,Subfleet,Alpha Tag,Mode,Description,Tag,Category
1001,,EBRCS Call 1,D,Calling,Interop,System Wide
1002,,EBRCS IO 1,D,Interop 1,Interop,System Wide
1003,,EBRCS IO 2,D,Interop 2,Interop,System Wide
1004,,EBRCS IO 3,D,Interop 3,Interop,System Wide
1005,,EBRCS IO 4,D,Interop 4,Interop,System Wide
1006,,EBRCS IO 5,D,Interop 5,Interop,System Wide
1007,,CCCO Law 1,D,Law Interop 1,Interop,Contra Costa Co Misc
1008,,CCCO Law 2,D,Law Interop 2,Interop,Contra Costa Co Misc
1009,,CCCO Law 3,D,Law Interop 3,Interop,Contra Costa Co Misc

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
I needed the header line. I dumped the RadioReference CSV again. I had copied what I wanted into a second spreadsheet but I didn't do it correctly. Thanks N6ML for the quick reply.

Decimal,Subfleet,Alpha Tag,Mode,Description,Tag,Category
62517,,AKRON FD ADMIN6,D,Fire Admin 6 Fire Prevention,Fire-Talk,Akron 77
62519,,AKRON FD ADMIN8,D,Fire Admin 8 Fire Maintenance,Fire-Talk,Akron 77
62524,,AKRON FD CMD,DE,Fire Command,Fire-Talk,Akron 77
62525,,AKRON FD DISP,D,Fire Dispatch,Fire Dispatch,Akron 77
62526,,AKRON EMS,D,EMS,EMS Dispatch,Akron 77
62527,,AKRON FG4,D,Fireground 4,Fire-Tac,Akron 77
62528,,AKRON FG5,D,Fireground 5,Fire-Tac,Akron 77
62529,,AKRON FG6,D,Fireground 6,Fire-Tac,Akron 77
62530,,AKRON FG7,D,Fireground 7,Fire-Tac,Akron 77
62531,,AKRON FG8,D,Fireground 8,Fire-Tac,Akron 77
62532,,AKRON FG9,D,Fireground 9,Fire-Tac,Akron 77

bob550

Premium Subscriber
To experiment, I created a new profile in PPS for importing from RR. All I did was to download the CSV file of choice for both Sites and Talkgroups and import both into PPS. I made no alterations to the CSV files, although you could probably delete selected talkgroups as you wish. The process works fine although you may also want to edit the alpha tags to fit the requirements of PPS (this can be done after import as well). If you're downloading a talkgroup file for multiple sites, it may be helpful to re-sort the CSV file based on the sites they appear in. Also be aware that, when importing the site information, the WACN and System ID need to be added in PPS.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
If you make an adjustment to the .csv and re-import...will this overwrite the existing entries?

And if you delete a TG from the .csv and re-import...will that TG also be removed from corresponding knob positions on the Zone & Channel Setting tab?

N6ML

If you make an adjustment to the .csv and re-import...will this overwrite the existing entries?

If an entry with the same TGID but a different alias already exists, it'll create a new entry.

If an entry with the same alias but different TGID already exists, it'll create a new entry with "_1" appended to the alias.

If an entry with the same TGID and alias already exists, it'll be ignored.

The other fields in the CSV are ignored.

And if you delete a TG from the .csv and re-import...will that TG also be removed from corresponding knob positions on the Zone & Channel Setting tab?

No. It doesn't remove or delete anything. It only imports entries.

All of the above is based on my observation / experimentation. The best way to understand it would be to to create a test profile and experiment yourself.....

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Next thing I need to figure out is if I can add something to the CSV import to automatically uncheck the voice record box when importing. That way I don't have to go through 300 lines and uncheck each voice recording box :) I ran out of time the other night to experiment with that issue.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Next thing I need to figure out is if I can add something to the CSV import to automatically uncheck the voice record box when importing. That way I don't have to go through 300 lines and uncheck each voice recording box :) I ran out of time the other night to experiment with that issue.
Can't that be also done on a per-zone basis when setting up your zones?

N6ML

Can't that be also done on a per-zone basis when setting up your zones?

Not per-zone, but per knob position... but if you want to have a knob position that scans multiple talkgroups but have only a subset of them recorded, it has to be set per talkgroup (tab D4).

yfdgricker

Feed Provider
Hmmm, per knob position. I will check that out I wasn't thinking of controlling it at that level. Thanks for the suggestion.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Not per-zone, but per knob position... but if you want to have a knob position that scans multiple talkgroups but have only a subset of them recorded, it has to be set per talkgroup (tab D4).
That's actually what I meant to say. It just didn't come out that way. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

N6ML

I'm trying to import the .csv file, but the PPS (under F1 tab) is looking for a .unipps file.

What am I missing?

You can import P25 Trunking systems on tab D2, or talkgroups on tab D4.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I found you do need the header row, I deleted it by accident in one case and got the 'incorrect format' error.

Another potential issue I found in editing the CSV files, at least the 'site' CSV is this. I went into a file and removed some frequencies that are out of range (800 MHz mobiles) for the VHF mode. I did the editing in Excel and when I saved the file back, Excel had truncated some of the information (e.g., site 001 became 1) and I got errors. Fortunately I have a really great text editor. It let me compare the Excel saved file with the file it saved, truncated values. I was able to edit and save with no loss. File loaded right up then.

N6ML, a couple of things with importing CSV files. It appears you can only import trunked site information in D2. Import is not available on the 'conventional' tab. Click the import button, then click the 'import from RR popup. Select your file and it should populate the system. If you made edits and do not see anything other than the header, check your edited CSV against the one you downloaded. This is where I had my truncated values issue. As this is a profile for my forthcoming G3, I will play with the import feature a bit more and post what I find if there are consistent issues with edited files.

Tab D4, the talk groups, will allow you to import a CSV file if there is one on RR or that you did yourself. Same procedure here as for importing site information.

Gilligan

Database Admin
On a related note, does anyone know of a way to change the order of zones or knob positions, like a quick swap? And does CSV import allow importing tone sets ?(These would not be from RR though...)

bob550

Premium Subscriber
On a related note, does anyone know of a way to change the order of zones or knob positions
Right clicking the mouse over the Zone number gives you the option of moving the zone up or down the list. The only way to move the knob positions would be to copy and paste by right-clicking over the knob position. But that requires an empty position to move to. Other than that, there's no way to switch positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.