CSX Coal Train - Citrus County Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptDan

I am looking for the frequency (s) that the CSX Coal Train uses. I am not sure where the train originates from, but it's destination is the Duke Energy Power Plant in Citrus County.

I am moving to the an area close to the tracks and am just interested in listening to them as them come thru.

Thanks

ps - if I am not breaking any of the forum the rules - any other information about the coal train would interest me - if anyone knows where it originates ? where the coal comes from - etc.

Thanks in advance.

N8IAA

I am looking for the frequency (s) that the CSX Coal Train uses. I am not sure where the train originates from, but it's destination is the Duke Energy Power Plant in Citrus County.

I am moving to the an area close to the tracks and am just interested in listening to them as them come thru.

Thanks

ps - if I am not breaking any of the forum the rules - any other information about the coal train would interest me - if anyone knows where it originates ? where the coal comes from - etc.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, CaptDan:eek: You must have one huge tower to hear FL from NJ:lol:
Why not run Close Call on your scanner, or the railroad service search?
Larry

CaptDan

Wow, CaptDan:eek: You must have one huge tower to hear FL from NJ:lol:
Why not run Close Call on your scanner, or the railroad service search?
Larry

Well thank you for your useful suggestions

I do have a huge tower ! Thank you for noticing :)

Like I said in my original post I am moving to an area near the tracks - so my huge NJ tower will not do me any good in Florida.

I am not using a scanner - I use some 2 way radios in my vehicles - trucks - Jeeps - tractor - utv's and was just wondering if I could program in - as receive only - the train frequency so we could listen to train communications in the immediate area.

The only train that uses the tracks anywhere near my Florida Property is the coal train and it apparently has no specific schedule. I am sure that they use some type of communications as they have to notify the power plant that they are inbound - they have to stop and be inspected before they are allowed on the Power Plant campus as there is also a nuclear power generator there.

I did in fact try and locate the information in the database - I am just asking if anyone has the information the radio frequency (s) or any other information about the coal train they could share with me. I will be living there full time soon and was just curious.

Thanks in advance

reconrider8

what is the name of the town or better yet ill throw this out to you...CSX Train Symbols - RailroadfanWiki and have at it lol that will get you close then just monitor the rail bands when hes in the area and you will pick up on the frequencies pretty quick any radio scanner would work for this

slapshot0017

Oh my this hurts to read. First you're gonna need a VHF radio, next you're going to want to look at this link FL Railroads Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and last from those frequencies you just have to figure out which line you are close to. According to GOOGLE!!! you are near the Florida Northern Railroad (FNOR) line which is not CSX, but a regional railroad. I am a NJ rail buff also, but a quick look on google and then a corresponding search on here should give you the results you want.

Last edited:

CaptDan

KD2BRR - I don't know why it hurts you to read this.

I have used various search engines to attempt to determine the radio frequencies of the trains that travel along the tracks thru my property in Florida. Yes I own acreage on both sides of the tracks.

What I have been able to determine - the tracks are owned by Florida Northern Railroad - however they are only used by CSX to deliver coal to the red level power plant. The best I have been able to determine is the CSX trains come out of Haile, Florida

My original question was simple - does anyone know the radio frequencies that the train would use as it passes thru Dunnellon or Crystal River to the Power Plant in Red Level ?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Here is a place to start. FL Railroads Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Personally I have found it best to use a scanner with RR search that will scan every RR channel and stop on the one in use, as RRs can use any of these channels at anytime or place.

Also I have read of RRs switching to Nexedge systems which would require a special radio to receive.

CaptDan

Thank you - I have already looked in FL Railroads Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database.

I realize that the railroad can use any of their licensed frequencies. I was just asking if anyone happens to know what frequency was utilized on that particular line. I am sure they do not change frequencies much as the receiving location needs to know when they are arriving - because of the nuclear component of the plant - the train needs to stop - be searched prior to entry.

We are not using scanners - if I can determine the frequency I will enter it as receive only - so our field units can scan it when they are working in the area of the tracks.

The railroad just spent a ton of money switching to narrow band - not sure they will will be switching their radios again ib th every near future.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
try these I think they are what the trains use to communicate with the plant 160.32000, 160.59000, 161.01000.
Duke Energy uses this system and the trains may call on them too if equipped.
Duke Energy-https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2183

oldrailbuff

Duke Power plant

I live in Morriston about a half block from the track.There was a tower in Newberry until last year. The coal train is delivered to Newberry then picked up by FNOR. It usually comes through here around 3 AM full and returns empty the next afternoon. Now I listen to the Callahan tower and the coal train will take the number three track south to Baldwin. Theres not much to here as there is no other traffic on this line to speak of. About all you hear is the conductor call out his departure from the plant and he will call to clear Newberry yard as he approaches. I think there is a detector here in Morriston but I don't know the channel and I don't own a radio.
If they open the Port of Citrus there will plenty of rail traffic. Until then enjoy the 3 AM horns.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Spend $20, get a SDR USB stick, and use SDR# scanner plugin to log traffic on the AAR channels. That will tell you which frequencies are used by the trains.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, the thread was about Florida.

Thread hijacking is as bad as the people who comment on the hijack without reporting it. Next time please just report the thread and a Mod will deal with it. Thanks.

Enough said.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.