CSX dispatcher desk project (code changes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
But have you heard IB on 161.070 issuing track warrants? It's not unusual for the dispatcher to come up on the road channel to call a crew, but in my experience around Indianapolis, they'll ask crews to move over to the dispatcher channel to conduct dispatcher business.

They do it both ways around here (Columbus), but the Huntington and Great Lakes dispatchers usually have them switch over to the DS channel for track warrants and other business.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Bote, it's been reported in the Western Ohio Rails Yahoo group that the Toledo Sub is now controlled by the LA dispatcher instead of the AR dispatcher. From what I read, the dispatcher name changed, but the location is the same. However, the LA dispatcher will eventually move to a new dispatch center in Fort Wright, Kentucky (across the river from Cincinnati). So far, the frequencies haven't changed.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Toledo sub question

Bote, it's been reported in the Western Ohio Rails Yahoo group that the Toledo Sub is now controlled by the LA dispatcher instead of the AR dispatcher. From what I read, the dispatcher name changed, but the location is the same. However, the LA dispatcher will eventually move to a new dispatch center in Fort Wright, Kentucky (across the river from Cincinnati). So far, the frequencies haven't changed.

I just changed a bunch of stuff on the CSX dispatcher table, mostly revising the C&O and Allegheny divisions to Huntington.

http://www.botecomm.com/bote/rail/csx_dispatchers.html

It turns out I had Toledo on the old AR desk, which is now LA desk, but it showed the Toledo sub in the Chicago division. Is the Toledo sub in the Chicago division or is this also outdated?

There is a LOT of outdated stuff in that table from midwest territories of CSX because I simply had no information from those areas. Most of my contacts are in the mid-Atlantic and southeast parts of the country.

Keep those cards and letters coming, I really appreciate it! I even get fan mail from people planning trips and wanting to know about a particular subdivision or whatnot, so others appreciate your input, also.

Happy holidays!

Bote

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It turns out I had Toledo on the old AR desk, which is now LA desk, but it showed the Toledo sub in the Chicago division. Is the Toledo sub in the Chicago division or is this also outdated?

Toledo Sub is part of the Lousiville Division, as is Cincinnati Terminal.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I picked up several transmissions from the CSX AH dispatcher (he was still calling himself AH) yesterday on AAR 74 (161.220). Every time either AH or a train contacted him on the road channel, he asked trains to switch to 74. That's the first time i've heard S&NA South dispatchers use that frequency.

BTW, 160.410 was quiet.

Warren

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Update on CSX dispatchers using 161.220 : From a friend in Birmingham, AL:

You are absulotely correct. I have listened and confirmed this morning. Anyone wanting to railfan CSX in the Birmingham will have to add this frequency to thier radios. I heard S&NA North, South, Boyles Terminal, and the Birmingham Mineral Sub action on it this morning.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
This might be part of a rearrangement of SD and SE desks? Because there are still some questions in my mind:

- Did the Boyles Terminal dispatcher channel change? I currently have it as channel 94.

- I show Boyles Terminal and S&NA South subdivisions still a part of the Atlanta Division; this was confirmed only a few days ago, but maybe that will change?

- Since Birmingham Mineral changed its dispatcher channel from 58 to 74, does this mean that the Alabama Mineral dispatcher channel also changed to 74? It too is currently listed on channel 58, same as its counterpart on the SD desk.

- Are they keeping the desks beginning with the letter "A" for the Atlanta Division and just clearing out the old desk designators in preparation for this change?

Thanks for the updates, I'll get them posted forthwith, if not sooner.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Did the Boyles Terminal dispatcher channel change? I currently have it as channel 94.

The folks in Birmingham, Alabama have heard the DS on AAR 74 instead of AAR 94. They're going to keep listening in and see if that's a permanent change.

BTW, a friend in Decatur, Alabama said that he is still hearing dispatchers on the S&NA North in his area using 160.410. He is hearing "skip" from the Birmingham area where trains in that area are being asked by the DS to switch to AAR 74.

I show Boyles Terminal and S&NA South subdivisions still a part of the Atlanta Division; this was confirmed only a few days ago, but maybe that will change?

So far, they're still both in the Atlanta Division, but that could change.

BTW, I did hear that the move from Jacksonville to Atlanta would be happening later this year (2009).

Since Birmingham Mineral changed its dispatcher channel from 58 to 74, does this mean that the Alabama Mineral dispatcher channel also changed to 74? It too is currently listed on channel 58, same as its counterpart on the SD desk.

I'm not sure, but I can ask.

Are they keeping the desks beginning with the letter "A" for the Atlanta Division and just clearing out the old desk designators in preparation for this change?

So far, the dispatcher's i've heard on the M&M, WoA/A&WP, and S&NA South Subs are still using the "A" prefix. If I had to guess, I don't think its going to change until the move to Atlanta gets closer or actually happens.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Since Birmingham Mineral changed its dispatcher channel from 58 to 74, does this mean that the Alabama Mineral dispatcher channel also changed to 74? It too is currently listed on channel 58, same as its counterpart on the SD desk.

The Alabama Mineral Sub didn't show up in my last timetable (2005), so I checked around. From what I found, CSX leased that sub to Omnitrax that renamed it the Alabama and Tennessee River Railway, and operates it as a shortline.

Warren

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
The folks in Birmingham, Alabama have heard the DS on AAR 74 instead of AAR 94. They're going to keep listening in and see if that's a permanent change.

So far, the dispatcher's i've heard on the M&M, WoA/A&WP, and S&NA South Subs are still using the "A" prefix. If I had to guess, I don't think its going to change until the move to Atlanta gets closer or actually happens.

OK, I updated Boyles Terminal dispatcher channel to 74.

I see the AM desk changed to HK, AR to LA, AU to BC, and on and on. It looked like they were clearing out the "A" codes so that the future Atlanta division desks could take on A-desk codes. I know that makes too much sense for a railroad to do, but there it is.

I guess we just experienced the bulk of the changes over the holidays, so most of the shouting is probably over, huh?

Thanks for all the updates everyone! If you look over the table and see something wrong, please let me know via the e-mail link on the CSX dispatcher table page. I'm certain there is a lot of outdated stuff on there, particularly the stuff out closer to the Mississippi River and up towards Ohio and out to Chicago. All that Conrail stuff surely has changed since the merger/split, and that's about the vintage of those listings on there.

Happy New Year!

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
CSX dispatcher desk table updated

I have updated the CSX dispatcher desk code table based on several recent contributions:

1) NJ desk is abolished, all his lines have been taken over by the NI desk;

2) PD sub moved to the AA desk in the Atlanta division;

3) Monon sub moved to RB desk on channel 12.

Read all about it!

Keep those cards and letters coming, I expect there will be another flurry of changes when they make the last big move coming up.

Thanks.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Thanks for keeping this information up-to-date.

I'm happy to do it, but it absolutely depends on the good folks out there providing that all-important local knowledge. It would be great to take a few minutes to check out your favorite subdivision to see if it is accurate.

There are sections of that table near the bottom that I just know are wrong, especially the areas in the western reaches of CSX territory. That stuff needs a very big overhaul, I'm sure, but I have no reliable information on it.

Thanks.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
The CSX Dispatcher Table has been streamlined for your viewing pleasure.

The bulk of the major divisions are grouped together and alphabetized. I also streamlined the division name in each dispatcher desk row so that it looks a little cleaner.

As always, please keep those cards and letters coming with any corrections to the table. Those of you out in Ohio, Indiana, and the western reaches of CSX territory are urged to check your local areas near the bottom of the table for accuracy. I am certain that a lot of that information is outdated and I really depend on you good folks to keep this table accurate.

A lot of people write to me privately to thank me for this list, but it is you folks who keep it useful with your corrections.

Thanks to YOU.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
As always, please keep those cards and letters coming with any corrections to the table. Those of you out in Ohio, Indiana, and the western reaches of CSX territory are urged to check your local areas near the bottom of the table for accuracy. I am certain that a lot of that information is outdated and I really depend on you good folks to keep this table accurate.

Bote...

I was up in NW Ohio yesterday and have a couple of corrections/confirmations:

CSX ID Dispatcher -
Indianapolis Line Sub
46 - 160.800 Road, 38 - 160.680 Dispatcher
Toledo Branch
50 - 160.860 Road, 25 - 160.485 or 33 - 160.605 Dispatcher (unconfirmed)

I was unable to confirm which DS channel as every time I grabbed the radio off my belt, he had stopped talking by the time I looked at the display. However, the ID Dispatcher for the Toledo Branch would have to be using either 160.485 or 160.605, as those are the only two I was scanning at the time. I would strongly tend to suspect 160.605, as that is the channel in use by the IE Dispatcher on the Toledo Branch before the change, and I think it unlikely that CSX would change the frequency on a bunch of base radios unless it were absolutely necessary.

CSX IE Dispatcher -
Mount Victory Sub and Columbus Line Sub
50 - 160.860 Road, 25 - 160.485 Dispatcher
Scottslawn Sub
50 - 160.860 Road, 33 - 160.605 Dispatcher

Tom WA8PYR

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Bote...

I was up in NW Ohio yesterday and have a couple of corrections/confirmations:

Tom WA8PYR

Great! I applied those and it actually clarified what I had in there.

I just made a S.W.A.G. a week or 3 ago on where the former IF subdivisions would go, and got them precisely reversed. Now with your report I got it all squared away and confirmed the Scottslawn Secondary. The forgotten sub.

Thanx!

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Atlanta Division moving soon

CSX Atlanta Division dispatchers are slated to move to their namesake city of Atlanta in early November. Start listening for changes on the 'A' desks and we'll get this chart updated over the coming months.

Thanks!

wwhitby

Feed Provider
CSX Atlanta Division dispatchers are slated to move to their namesake city of Atlanta in early November. Start listening for changes on the 'A' desks and we'll get this chart updated over the coming months.

Thanks!

A fella on a list I belong to said that November 14th is the day they make the switch.

Warren

alexcsx12

No

Here on the CSX Kingsport Subdivision, they switched from using the AO Jacksonville Dispatcher, to using the HP Huntington Dispatcher. The frequency stayed the same thankfully.

No, the CSX Kingsport Subdivision - KP is Huntington HB dispatcher, the rest are listed below :
Big Sandy = BS HC dispatcher
Blue Ridge = BR HB dispatcher
CC = CC HJ/HI dispatcher
Coal Run = C1 HC dispatcher
Corbin Terminal AQ, CS, BK, HI dispatchers
CV = CV HA dispatcher
E&BV = EB HA dispatcher
EK = EK HA dipatcher
Erwin Terminal none
KD = KD HI dispatcher
Kingsport = KP HB dispatcher
Long Fork = LF HA dispatcher
Middle Creek = MZ HC dispatcher
Rockhouse = RH HA dispatcher
SV&E = SV HA dispatcher

These are all the dispatches on Huntington Division West, the huntington division east is a different story.

A CSX engineer on the E&BV Sub. these are out of the latest timtable.

Fred1

CSX Phila

Does anyone know what RG tower is or where it is located. I live near main 160.23 and hear trains talking to rg. Do thwy ever speak to Disp?

Status
Not open for further replies.