CSX Indy Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper43

I'm not really into monitoring RR's but we seem to have our share of incidents here NE of Indy so I loaded up the rail frequencies and this morning got a hit on 160.6800 and a TG ID od 3838 also popped up. So whats up here, is this a single frequency trunked system or what? Just curious.
Thanks

V

MFD4305

Channel 38

Hi Viper,

The frequency 160.680 mHz is ARR channel 38 - the railroad frequencies have "channel" numbers assigned to them much like marine frequencies do. The fact that "3838" showed up as an accompanying ID means either that you are using pre-loaded service search or you uploaded the channels numbers with the frequencies when you went to railroad search.

The fact that the channel number (38) is repeated reflects another railroading convention. Most railroad radio communications are simplex: the locomotive and the land-based station transmit on the same frequency. In the case of 160.680 mHz, the channel use would be noted as "3838."

Some railroads use duplex communications: the train (locomotiove) transmits on one frequency and the dispatcher transmits on another. In that case, the channel designation would be 3865 (just an example) meaning that the locomotive transmits on channel 38 and the dispatch transmits on channel 65.

Hope that helps.

Viper43

Thanks, you were correct it was how the downloaded system was set up...oh well...just caught me off guard I guess and I never looked at the data. In twentyfour hours I only had two hits so RR isn't too active here.

Thanks again

V

Status
Not open for further replies.