CSX NXDN on PBX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NS9710

I have noticed channel 58 [160.980MHz] using NXDN Digital audio in the Petersburg, VA area, and it seems to be simplex where both users talk on the same frequency.

Reactions: RRR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
But "They don't use NXDN on Class 1 Railroads" :rolleyes:

iceman977th

Feed Provider
But "They don't use NXDN on Class 1 Railroads" :rolleyes:

In mainline service, no. But I know NXDN is used in shops and other operations on the railroads.

@op, what were they talking about? I asked a friend who lives in Petersburg, but he doesn’t know what would be on 058, or why it would be on NXDN, unless CSX is going to start using digital for their ARN/PBX stuff.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Not on the mainline but yards/inspection pits/engine shops/MoW sure...Ask me how I know...

Regards,

-Frank C.
And its spotty at those facilities. Spreading, but still spotty. Only CSXT PD uses it full time and fully encrypted here in Indianapolis. (though they are in the clear on the P25 TRS here.)

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
And its spotty at those facilities. Spreading, but still spotty. Only CSXT PD uses it full time and fully encrypted here in Indianapolis. (though they are in the clear on the P25 TRS here.)
We get pretty good coverage in Barstow! Still not mainline ready though...

Regards,

-Frank C.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Just because you don't know where or when NXDN is being used on "mainlines", doesn't mean it isn't so.

I agree that it isn't being done on a wide scale basis. -Yet. That would be foolish to say, as Analog comms are obviously what the vast majority of RR's are still using. I'm sure most that monitor the AAR freqs have heard the scrambled garble on the RR police (Special Services) freq, and I agree RR police is not considered "Mainline use", as we are referring to the transportation department (Engineers, conductors, and train dispatchers) also RR police are encrypted, and "mainline use" is not.

But keep in mind; perfectly working, NB capable, non-NXDN repeaters that were changed out system-wide on a lot of lines, and FCC licenses not anywhere close to the renewal date were, and still are, being updated with NXDN/IDAS emissions, and that's not just to give the Comm. Admin. something to do, or to accommodate MOW (who do use NXDN on the mainline at times, -with the train dispatchers). -And this was, and is, being done with the "PSR" cloud overhead; "cut costs, at all costs".

I will agree with "Franks_ham"'s statement that it isn't ready for mainline use yet, -with the exception of, not -fully- ready, yet. Still more to do, and then, train the end users on what to expect, the differences in, and the benefits and negatives of going to a digital format. (The biggest complaint from Railroad end-users was while switching, the background noise was not natural, as it is with analog, cars coupling, brakes squealing, etc., yet NXDN's current main usage (besides Special Services) is in rail yards) :unsure:

Railroads are very safety conscious, and as such, the Railroads want to ensure due diligence has been done, potential issues addressed, and that all steps that can be taken to assure a smooth transition have been taken, before it is implemented.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
That's why we still sit on narrowband 12.5 channels system-wide. Because I know where they're at in the radios on board, presuming they have been reprogrammed, I'll tell my crew to go to a certain channel in the radio when we switch...Only NXDN listeners can hear us. ;)

Regards,

-Frank C.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, if or when the railroads will be using NXDN on a widespread basis has been debated at length in other threads. Let's not do it here. The OP made a post about NXDN use by CSX in a particular area. Let's keep the thread focused on that topic.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I have noticed channel 58 [160.980MHz] using NXDN Digital audio in the Petersburg, VA area, and it seems to be simplex where both users talk on the same frequency.

Not to be pedantic, but that's technically channel 409...

*Ducks while new members wrap their head around the idea of there being far more than 97 "Channels"*

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
t he doesn’t know what would be on 058, or why it would be on NXDN
Because sometimes it's handy to have a conversation on a channel nobody expects... There's often a code-word or phrase. Where I worked, someone could say "Go to the highway", and it meant change channels to whatever the closest highway was.... If Rte 66 was close, both parties would change to 066-066

Dispatchers don't have this agility in their systems and managers are still limited to the limits of ground level VHF signal properties.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Because sometimes it's handy to have a conversation on a channel nobody expects... There's often a code-word or phrase. Where I worked, someone could say "Go to the highway", and it meant change channels to whatever the closest highway was.... If Rte 66 was close, both parties would change to 066-066

Dispatchers don't have this agility in their systems and managers are still limited to the limits of ground level VHF signal properties.
If you don't think the dispatchers don't have that ability, you are really FUNNY! Over at our railroad we definitely have that ability and I know UP definitely has that ability at most dispatch setups...They'll hit up a random yard channel to talk to others if they don't want the MOP nearby to know things they're planning......

Regards,

-Frank C.

NS9710

Sounds kinda like they're coordinating where to go for putting people or doing maintenance. However I forgot to mention there should be a warning as they have some 4 letter words once in a while.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Anyone monitoring CSXT should be used to four letter words. And the phrase: "Hang on, I will give XYZ a call and see if they can unscrew this for us."

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
If you don't think the dispatchers don't have that ability, you are really FUNNY! Over at our railroad we definitely have that ability and I know UP definitely has that ability at most dispatch setups...They'll hit up a random yard channel to talk to others if they don't want the MOP nearby to know things they're planning......

Regards,

-Frank C.
I've been to the HDC. I've seen the dispatch consoles. They're not nearly as frequency agile as crews can be. The can't just select a random channel other than what has been specifically programmed into their console.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
I've been to the HDC. I've seen the dispatch consoles. They're not nearly as frequency agile as crews can be. The can't just select a random channel other than what has been specifically programmed into their console.
They can get pretty random considering...Yes they can't punch in a RX/TX that's different but they sure can listen to most channels.

Regards,

-Frank C.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
One time I was thrown off guard when I heard a canadian pacfic rail dispatcher on a yard channel thats always used by crews on portables switching. Not the normal road channel used by the dispatcher to contact trains. It was unsual and the dispatcher mentioned they were trying get a hold of a crew and tried that channel. Then checked in the FCC ULS for the yard and wow, theres a whole nother set of FB2 repeaters and FB channels listed for the yard including that yard channel FB, but Ive never heard them used by the dispatcher in a scan list outside the main road/yard channel

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the topic of the thread is CSX using NXDN in the Petersburg VA area...as indicated by the first post in this thread.

Other railroads use of NXDN is off topic.

CSX use of NXDN outside of Petersburg VA is potentially off topic.

What level of frequency agility railroad dispatchers have is off topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.