CSX Pan Am railways takeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone.

With CSX and Berkshire & Eastern set to take over PAR and PAS over time,
should we expect to see new frequencies to come from this acquisition?

Thank you.

-Sky.

Skyman2002

Premium Subscriber
That would make sense.

I know Pan Am uses a Duplex system 161.160 and 161.520 on their line between Maine and Mechanicville, NY, CSX and G&W will split this trackage in half, that's why i was wondering.

-S.

Probably just a change of licensee to CSX and B & E.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone.

With CSX and Berkshire & Eastern set to take over PAR and PAS over time,
should we expect to see new frequencies to come from this acquisition?

Thank you.

-Sky.

Right now the expectation is for everything east of Ayer to go to 160.800 for the Road Channel and 160.680 for the Dispatcher. It's not clear yet whether the NB desk will be reinstated or whether it'll just be more load on NC.

As to the G&W portion of the split, we'll have to see but I doubt anything will change. G&W doesn't like doing more work than they have to.

ecps92

Who was instructed to change ?
the Railroad or MSCommNet ?

I would think the State of Maine wins since they have
a. the Valid FCC licenses
b. the current MOU with the AAR, now if AAR is revoking that MOU, they likely is a clause for time-frame
and having to re-coordinate and apply for other frequencies, this is likely atleast (Not a Lawyer) 2yr+

Yup. Which they were instructed to change some time ago.

KB1VLA

I would keep an eye on some of Pan Am/ST's many licensed but unused frequencies, such as:
160.230 licensed for fixed base, repeater (!) and mobiles systemwide
160.260 licensed for fixed base and mobiles in former B&M territory
160.350 (old East Deerfield hump channel) licensed for fixed base and mobiles in former B&M territory
160.380 (old MEC MOW) licensed for FB and mobiles systemwide
160.440 licensed for FB and mobiles systemwide
161.235 (old B&M Police repeater) licensed for FB in former B&M territory
161.310 (old Northside commuter rail) licensed for FB and mobiles systemwide
161.370 (B&M MOW lightly used) FB and mobiles systemwide
161.520; yes, this is the mobile side of the B&M road channel (and has been since the 1970s as I understand it), BUT it is licensed for FB all over.
Remember that CSX is keeping the ST train dispatchers at North Billerica (there is a brand-new joint Keolis/ST dispatch center nearing completion there); there are no plans on moving them to Jacksonville or anywhere else. Another thing to remember is that the MBTA owns the Western Route all the way to the MA/NH state line, and the Fitchburg all the way to Westminster. It's not out of the realm of possibility that future CSX and B&E have Keolis take over dispatching of those areas; Keolis already has 160.965 earmarked for use on the Fitchburg in the event they split it from the current Boston West frequency of 160.590.
Speculation/opinion:
I would imagine that B&E would use one of the above mentioned, presently-licensed frequencies for use west of Fitchburg/Westminster, instead of attempting to get a new freq. coordinated and licensed. Also keep in mind that B&E has no announced start-up date.
My best guess is that CSX will keep the current frequencies in use for the time being. If they ever decide to change to their style of separate "Road/Dispatcher" frequencies they have plenty of currently coordinated and licensed frequencies to choose from to pair with what is already in use, especially in Maine where many RR frequencies are used by MSCOMMNET.

Status
Not open for further replies.