CT CSERN system???

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
With the new CSERN system coming on line, looks like any scanner we have will be no good once again cause the new CSERN is TDMA system,is this right?

Last edited:

APX7500X2

With the new CSERN system coming on line, looks like any scanner we have will be no good once again cause the new CSERN is TDMA system,is this right?

That CSERN system is just something someone made up here. The only systems going in right now are the Fairfield county UASI system 5 sites 700mhz FDMA and the new 20-30 site (Depending on who you ask) 700mhz DOT system FDMA.
Im sure that these systems are going to be part of the states new P25 statewide system in the future and it would be stupid not to go TDMA at some point.
Most of the CSP cars, say 70% still have astro spectras and 80% of the portables are still XTS3000s
The only thing CSP is doing right now is adding 1 new site to the 800 system
For the USAI system you have Norwalk, Trumbull, Shelton, Greenwich & Stamford all with 800mhz and XTS/XTL platform that want to use the UASI system so FDMA will live for quite some time.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
A real simple person like me wants to know. Why in the xxxx would we want to build a new system and waste all that money? why cant we take a system that's relatively good (CSP) and just add more channels, capacity to it. Its very underutilized as it is. then it wouldnt even take as long as getting it up and running. these systems all run into trouble when the systems come into service years later. And why start this is Fairfield County? Is this because all the money is there. Hartford is still the capitol of CT. For all you familiar with this system I am sure you are laughing at this now. But people are starving and cant get jobs why are we wasting money?

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
The DOT system is being built because it would cost Millions to narrow band all the CT transit buses. So in a cost savings move they will build a system that will be good for decades and also work with the current State Police 800 system giving both services added capacity and coverage, so a win win for the entities using the systems and tax payers by building systems that can work together.

The Fairfield county system is a federally funded UASI system that didn’t have to be 700 but the State again built something that would benefit many users and help with advancing current systems.

Political BS aside, this is a everyone wins thing, think of all the jobs created and saved by building, installing and maintaining these systems and the benefit to public safety for all the state tax payers.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Not to be a stick in the mud, but how many buses does DOT have, and what are they on now? Millions for new radios!! Unless they are buying XTL 5000's with all the bells and wistles, I just don't get it. Our agency just replaced over 4000 radios and 150 bases stations for less than 1 million, and some were CDOT. Also if they intend to work with CSP why not just buy radios that work with their existing system, as been said the system very underutilized.

APX7500X2

Not to be a stick in the mud, but how many buses does DOT have, and what are they on now? Millions for new radios!! Unless they are buying XTL 5000's with all the bells and wistles, I just don't get it. Our agency just replaced over 4000 radios and 150 bases stations for less than 1 million, and some were CDOT. Also if they intend to work with CSP why not just buy radios that work with their existing system, as been said the system very underutilized.

Wow thats under $250 per radio...Where did you get that deal?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Correction 2000 portables (HT-1250 full keypad and display) at $495.00 ea for a total of 990K. 1200 mobiles (CDM-1250) at $451.00 for 541K and 125 bases Harris Mastr III at 5k or under depending on the configuration for a total of 625K or less. Total number of pieces of 3325, and the total came out to around 2 million or 1 million for each bid. There are some others, but you get the idea, you don't need to buy a 5k radio for a transportation bus. We reused a lot of existing infrastructure, especially on the bases. Still nowhere near what Conn is predicting, as Motorola strikes again. Maybe when they finish going true P-25 they can buy some less expensive non-Motorola, but I'll bet that's why Motorola is pushing the changeover, before the true P-25 comes along.
We could have also gone to the Motorola CP and CM line but those are really too cheap even though they use the same RF boards, and components. ICOM came in with prices at 60% the cost of Motorola and 35% of Harris, so you CAN get quality radios at a decent price, and replace existing systems without going to a system that one day will be overloaded when the crap hits the fan. there have been numerous stories already about that happening when you share non P.S.users on a P.S.

KB1JHU

Is there any documentation on this supposed DOT system? The only thing I have found is the meeting minutes referenced in the other thread that says, "Connecticut Transit will soon be issuing an RFP for a new radio system which will include automatic vehicle locator technology." But there is nothing I can find that indicates anything in the works or anything about any new 700 systems besides the Fairfield County UASI. There's nothing on Region 19 New England which is one of the first places I would expect to see stuff about a new 700 system.

scollier

A,

If they don't build a new one, then they don't get the federal funding. Maybe they'll intregrate the 800s into the system as Illinois and every other state did. Except for CT I still can't believe the towns in the middle of nowhere and nothing going over the radio have better comms than we, a populated crime ridden state have.

shawn

PJH

Premium Subscriber
FYI Moto was in town a few weeks ago doing more backend upgrades for the eventual P25 Phase 1 cutover.

All new troop cars are having APX radios installed, however I have not seen any APX portables issued (doesn't mean they not out there, none have come my way).

There is still a good supply of XTS series radios and accessories in inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.