CT State Police on Whistler 1088

Status
Not open for further replies.

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
Hi. My new Whistler 1088 scanner only picks up 1 or 2 of the CTSP troop systems, the ones closest to me. Normally i would think makes sense, but I also have a Uniden 436, which picks up *all* the troops in the whole state, loud and clear. The Whistler EZ Scan app shows that the talkgroups from all troops in the state are in the scanlist i'm using, but the scanner isn't stopping on most of them.

I tried programming the 1088 using both the location/zipcode method, and the cities/counties method, but neither one results in hearing all the CTSP troops. Any advice would be appreciated. (Both scanners are just using whip antennas.)

Dan6071

Premium Subscriber
whistler

i have the psr-600 scanner it is better then my 536hp scanner listing to state police i use the butel soft ware.

I had to program each control channel as a separate system to pick up everything. It doesn't check every control channel like the old pro 197 or psr 600 does. To my knowledge. That is a feature I wish whistler would put into their scanners.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Some scanners will only scan in a bank (or System) until an active CC is found. It then checks for activity, compares it to the list of TGIDs to be heard and either allows the voice or continues scanning other Banks or Systems.

You need to spend some time reading about how a Smartzone system works to understand it better but I would be very confident saying that you are not hearing every Troop in the state from one location.
There are 9 basic Sites and a bunch of fill in sites. A Motorola radio would scan a list of control channels and attempt to affiliate on the strongest CC to the talkgroup that the radio was set on. If the talkgroup is not allowed at that site, the radio will not be allowed to affiliate and continue scanning for another site. It is slightly more complex why you may or may not hear traffic on a specific site but it all has to do with having radios affiliated to the talkgroup.

chris

gn32772

Premium Subscriber
(I'm the original poster.)

I'm getting 9 troops on my Uniden 436, and only about 4 troops on the Whistler 1088. Both are using similar indoor whip antennas. Both scanners use the same RadioReference database, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I'm thinking that maybe the signals from all the sites are repeated throughout the state, and the Uniden is somehow able to pickup the repeated signals, but the Whistler isn't. (that's just a wild guess!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.