CT State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1rkw

Got a Radio Shack Pro-651 that is deaf to CSP after downloading the latest info. Any advice on getting it to work or am I looking at a new scanner?

LedZeppelin

I haven't been keeping up with the hobby over the past 5-6 years or so due to my job and other things life have thrown at me, but I'm trying to spend more time lately, and I see through this thread that my HomePatrol 1 is no longer able to receive CSP due to their radio upgrades. Will the HP2 get it? If not, please direct me to which type of somewhat easily programmable scanner I should look into. Thanks for any help!

tvengr

Well Known Member
I suggest the Uniden SDS100 for a handheld or the SDS200 for a Desktop/Mobile. They are the only scanners which will reliably receive P25 simulcast systems. If your 651 has the correct information and not receiving, it could possibly be a simulcast issue.

Last edited:
I see through this thread that my HomePatrol 1 is no longer able to receive CSP due to their radio upgrades.
Your HP 1 WILL work if you change/update the programming. (See the database)

As long as some (At least one) radios on the system are not upgraded to phase 2, your scanner will work.

(I monitor on a Phase 1 scanner - no problem.)

Eventually, you'll need to upgrade - and like tvengr stated, the SDS scanners are a good choice.

WoodburyMan

HP I will work, as well as HP II, but not too well on CLMRN. I have a HP II, SDS100 and SDS200. The SDS's I can program a site to just scan the Control Channel (CC) frequency, and it will "Link" and "Follow" if the site happens to broadcasting a TG I want to listen to to the frequency the TG is on. (Each site had 4 to 12 frequencies associated with it). The HP's do not have trunk-tracking / follow features, which mean it has to scan through say all up to 12 frequencies for a site rather than one per site, and if it encounters a frequency that's in use, scan it, find out what TG it is on, and if its one you want to ignore, moves on. And it takes a while to chug and decode the frequency, much slower than the SDS as it is older. I'm lucky if I get 1/3 of the transmissions my SDS100 and SDS200 get, this is mainly do to it having to scan the extra frequencies and it pausing when it ignores say CTTransit TG's when I only have the CSP in my TG list, lots of "loop time" meaning it misses the transmissions due to the time it takes to cycle through. However... it tends to do better on Analog frequency scanning than the SDS's in terms of audio quality....

w1rkw

update: I bought a BCD436HP and updated the firmware. Created a favorite list dedicated to Troop E, F and K and have an external antenna and it's deaf. I downloaded the info. Did not do it manually? Any suggestions for these 3 troops?

w1rkw

What sites do you put on it and what band antenna are you using?

I'm trying to do just the bare minimum to receive CSP and no other stuff just to be satisfied that the scanner does work. I live in Colchester but would like to get Troop E and F as well so that is what I have loaded from the RR database.

I do receive conventional freqs including weather that are in the main database. My ant is multiband whip that has worked quite well with my pro 651. Side note on the pro 651. I have tried to get the phase 1 stuff on CSP but it's deaf too.

I'm wondering if there is something else I need to load besides just troop E,F and K to get them to be heard.

brndnstffrd

I'm trying to do just the bare minimum to receive CSP and no other stuff just to be satisfied that the scanner does work. I live in Colchester but would like to get Troop E and F as well so that is what I have loaded from the RR database.

I do receive conventional freqs including weather that are in the main database. My ant is multiband whip that has worked quite well with my pro 651. Side note on the pro 651. I have tried to get the phase 1 stuff on CSP but it's deaf too.

I'm wondering if there is something else I need to load besides just troop E,F and K to get them to be heard.
Just for testing purposes, if you arent travelling with it, you dont need to program the E and F sites to receive those, since both E and F talkgroups are carried on the Troop K simulcast site. If you want you can PM me and i can take a look at your programming file and see if i find any issues with it.

*Edit* I was thinking that you were having issues with the Pro 651. I wont be able to help with the Uniden. If you still have the Pro 651 I can take a look at your file for that.

w1rkw

Update: Got the Uniden BCD436HP to receive CSP. I'm in an RF hole at my residence and a better antenna is needed. I haven't tried the Pro 651 yet but I suspect it has the same issue.

WoodburyMan

Update: Got the Uniden BCD436HP to receive CSP. I'm in an RF hole at my residence and a better antenna is needed. I haven't tried the Pro 651 yet but I suspect it has the same issue.
I have had great luck with these two antennas. They're made for 700-900 MHz 3G phone, but work great for CLMRN since it uses 700 and 800 MHz. I use the larger 8 Element at home and the smaller 7 element for portable use. Currently have it set up aiming out a window at work listening with my SDS100... The larger one is on my SDS200 at home. I use them to monitor CLMRN site A, L, I and also Waterbury which is also 800Mhz. I get 10db over a small REM whip antenna on my SDS100 when pointed the right way.

7 Element 16" Amazon.com: Phonetone 7/9dbi Outdoor Directional Yagi 698-960/1710-2700Mhz GSM Antenna with N Female Connector: ORPEY

8 Element 33" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006H4FVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need a good N to SMA cable. This one works very well for me.

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
It has been 2 days now and I hear no CT Police and my BCD536HP shows scanning but showing no frequency. My SDS200 does indicate frequency's but I hear nothing. Does anyone know if changes were made and to what type?
Hi,
Im thinking of purchasing a BCD536HP and I was wondering if you ever were able to get your 536HP to pick up CSP?

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
No Problem and I still like the BCD536HP compare to my SDS200. Just wish the front display was brighter and bigger but I use ProScan on both my receivers and it does help a lot.

Bob1955

Hi,
Im thinking of purchasing a BCD536HP and I was wondering if you ever were able to get your 536HP to pick up CSP?
The BCD-996P2 has a MUCH better display and PROBLEM free like doctordialtone said in another thread. Even though the full alpha character alpha tagging is nicer, I do not like the display on the 536 and SD card and the price is too high. You're paying for the RR data base updates and zip code programing too. If you're going to a SDS-200/SDS-100, then another story.
Hope this helps you out and Happy New Year-2020.

The BCD-996P2 has a MUCH better display and PROBLEM free like doctordialtone said in another thread.
Very true. Bob!

If you spend any time on these forums you will RARELY see any problems reported with the 996XT or 996P2 scanners.

Not so with the 436/536 family of scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.