CTCSS on Input Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

Is it logical to select a CTCSS tone for scanning input frequencies? Or, by doing this, am I inadvertently disabling those channels because mobile radios don't produce CTCSS tones?

Thank you!

Dave

w4rez

On the commercial frequencies I imagine you're more likely to find a repeater that doesn't output a PL tone. The vast majority of repeaters out there, even ham repeaters nowadays, require a PL on the input.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Dave_D said:
Hi all,

Is it logical to select a CTCSS tone for scanning input frequencies? Or, by doing this, am I inadvertently disabling those channels because mobile radios don't produce CTCSS tones?

Thank you!

Dave

Mobile radios do produce PL/CTCSS tones (well almost all can, some older ones can't).

rescuecomm

In most cases, the input CTCSS will match the output CTCSS. Some systems use multiple sites to provide better coverage, but still using the same imput/output frequency pair. These systems will use a different imput CTCSS for each site. The output will be the same so users can still note the radios are in use. The repeater input CTCSS is the mobile transmit CTCSS.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Speaking of split codes, there is a fire department near here that has split DCS on their VHF repeater.

W2IRT

rescuecomm said:
In most cases, the input CTCSS will match the output CTCSS.
Some but not all. Most public safety systems in the NYC area use different PLs for their inputs. If you intend to monitor input traffic, I'd suggest programming the scanner for carrier squelch.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Exsmokey said:
Why do you want to listen to the input channel?

Don't get offended here...

Maybe they want to check out the sensitivity of their radio or antenna attached.

Maybe they want to determine how close the unit transmitting is to them?

I don't know, does it matter? I have heard this same question a lot and it really dosen't matter why, just that most people have tried it at least once ;)

denseglow

icom1020 said:

Maybe they want to check out the sensitivity of their radio or antenna attached.

I don't know, does it matter? I have heard this same question a lot and it really dosen't matter why, just that most people have tried it at least once ;)

I like your logic.

car2back

When I am out and about in my car, I scan the input of the local Sheriff's Office for that reason right there :wink:

SCPD

QRT
icom1020 said:

No offense taken. It should not be inferred that all questions are a criticism. I thought if I knew better as to why he listens to the mobile side I could answer his question better.

The reasons you listed are good ones. I've been in situations where, due to topography, I cannot hear the repeater very well, but could pickup the mobiles and handhelds very well over a wide area. I then switch manually between the mobile frequency and the repeater frequency so I can hear one side of the conversation clearly.

Dave, we have answered your basic question of the mobile frequency having CTCSS on them. Is there anything else you would like to ask about why and how CTCSS is used on mobile frequencies?

Dave_D

Exsmokey said:
Dave, we have answered your basic question of the mobile frequency having CTCSS on them. Is there anything else you would like to ask about why and how CTCSS is used on mobile frequencies?

Nope, I think you've all pretty much covered it. I thank you!!!

FWIW, I use my BCT15 in the manner Phil mentioned. I'm a bit of a scanner newb, but have found that without elliminating the repeaters, there's just too much irrelevant information flyin' around to help a motorist. I segregate my inputs from outputs and put audibile alerts on each so that I can tell them apart without glancing at the radio. And, of course, this way, I can enable or disable the repeaters as desired.

I haven't seen a case of separate input tones in the RRDB. I hope it is setup to handle this....

Thanks again, everyone!!!

Dave

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Input freq. and tone

Exsmokey

I listen to the input frequency for two reasons on occasion.

1. I can tell when units are in my neighborhood and I don't have to listen to excess radio traffic if it is a busy channel.

2. Slick people hide a talk around channel on the repeater input instead of the output.

dwh367

Another Use For Monitoring Repeater Inputs

In the county I reside in, 158.970 (PL 179.9) is the police repeater input. Since the only 2 places in town that sell scanners (Radio Shack and Wal-Mart) only list the repeater output on their frequency list handouts, the officers have found they can kind of get away from some scanner listeners with a simple little trick. They use the repeater input with a PL of 100.0 for some car to car communications that they don't want going out on the main frequency (repeated or simplex). Unfortunately, there are people in this area that have owned scanners for years who still haven't figured this out yet but I try to make it a point to educate them about it so that they can get the most out of their investment :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.