Yaesu: cToneFreq in CHIRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypt

I am using CHIRP software to program a Yaesu FT-7800 for a friend. Can anyone give me a definition for the cToneFreq column I see in the CSV file I exported from the image I downloaded from the radio? I am thinking that rToneFreq is the receive CTSS tone frequency is cToneFreq the transmit tone frequency? Thanks in advance for any help. I have been web searching for two days and I can't find anything yet that just gives a simple definition of the columns.

nd5y

cToneFreq looks like the transmit CTCSS tone and rToneFreq looks like the receive CTCSS tone.
Be aware that Chirp does NOT completely support the FT-7800.

andypt

Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful answers. The problem I had been running into was that the frequency list my friend had been given had some entries that called for a CROSS Tone Mode. As near as I can figure out the Yaesu FT-7800 either can't support CROSS mode or it's just that CHIRP doesn't support that mode with this particular radio. What I have done with those entries is just set them all to TONE Mode. If my (likely imperfect) understanding is correct, my friend will still be able to use those channels as the cToneFreq will open the repeater to his transmissions but the rToneFreq won't be working to quiet any other interfering transmissions on the same frequency. (And the more I read about that, it seems like rToneFreq is a problem when used anyway, since you need to hear those other transmissions to tell if interference is happening). Thanks again to all of youfor the assist!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have quite a number of Yaesu ham radios and none of them support split tones. It's not very common in the amateur world, but it is used all the time in commercial and public safety systems. Just program the transmit tone and don't worry about the receive tone.

nd5y

The FT-7800 can do split tx CTCSS/rx DCS or tx DCS/rx CTCSS modes but not different tx/rx CTCSS tones or DCS codes in the same mode.
Chirp will not allow you to program the split mode that the FT-7800 is capable of.

If you think you really need to program the receive tone via software and want software to program it correctly and that supports all radio settings I would suggest https://www.g4hfq.co.uk/index.html (costs about $15) if you already have a programming cable, or https://www.rtsystemsinc.com (costs about $50 and includes a special cable).

Last edited:

andypt

Thanks for the additional follow up, it confirms what I had tentatively concluded from my reading. I have gone ahead and programmed the radio with the Transmit/cToneFreq and will forego the Receive/rToneFreq as not really necessary anyway.

On to the next project!

Status
Not open for further replies.