Cuban Government jamming ham bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I can remember in the early mid-sixties when I was a kid doing shortwave listening and international broadcast from the United States like VOA were jammed. We could could hear radio Havana, radio Kiev, radio Vietnam, Radio Moscow.

The ham bands were also jammed, it sounded like a loud humming noise up and down the dial. Nothing was allowed in behind the Iron Curtain or into Cuba.

jaymatt1978

With all that is going on in Cuba I thought this was an interesting video:

This is just from a ham radio point of view, not really a comment on the political stuff, so let's just keep it to that scope

TexTAC

I had a QSO with W7HU on the 40M band talking about exactly this with him last night. Turns out he was live streaming the contacts he was making on youtube. Heard several other conversations about jamming in Cuba on 40 Meters tonight too.

danesgs

I worked CO7PH out of Cuba in 2008 back when we were toying with openly diplomatic stuff with the country. No doubt its up to each country an their governments as to whether we can actually talk to each other on the HAM bands. Or maybe it was a fluke and he just slipped through the cracks. Shame as HAM radio is suppose to be above politics and religion and put forth good will towards all. I heard the woodpecker in the 70's OTH radar tearing up the bands and also numbers stations. Funny how we take 1 step forward and three steps back over and over again.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Cuba has only to object officially to the ITU about transmissions from American amateur radio operators into Cuba to have such transmissions be halted by the FCC. Instead, they jam popular segments of the 40 meter band and many governments in Region II acts as if that is Cuba's right to do so.

RocketNJ

What I find interesting is the interference I hear is only from 7.100 to 7.140. I know the lower portion of the voice band is popular for skeds between U.S. and Cuban hams. Why not use CW or go higher in the voice portion of the band?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I worked CO7PH out of Cuba in 2008 back when we were toying with openly diplomatic stuff with the country. No doubt its up to each country an their governments as to whether we can actually talk to each other on the HAM bands. Or maybe it was a fluke and he just slipped through the cracks. Shame as HAM radio is suppose to be above politics and religion and put forth good will towards all. I heard the woodpecker in the 70's OTH radar tearing up the bands and also numbers stations. Funny how we take 1 step forward and three steps back over and over again.

You hit the nail on the head. I work Chinese, Russian, Cuban, etc. stations constantly. Do I agree with anything those governments are doing? Absolutely not! Do their people agree with everything our government is doing? No.

But we put that crap aside for a common interest. We talk about ham radio and electronics, we work each other in contests, we share a good thousands of miles DX contact. The only other thing we don't talk about are hemorrhoids and various bowel conditions and doctors appointments...that must be strictly a U.S. thing. But politics are thrown out the door. QSL cards are exchanged, etc.

In my previous life as a professional musician (before I realized it was actually in my best interest to make a decent living, lol), we traveled all over the place. We would get to cities and countries with people of completely different languages, cultures and beliefs. If we were on the battlefield with some of these people, we would be shooting at each other. But we get together as musicians, with a common interest, and make beautiful music together. We go out to the bar afterward and share stories and buy each other drinks. I can remember being in Ireland, drunk out of my mind, and it was actually two IRA "freedom fighter" musicians who basically carried me back to my hotel room.

That's what ham radio is all about...talking to people all over the world who share the same interest as you do.

danesgs

Again, we have more in common than we think we do. But we let that other stuff get in the way of it all. Radio is a neat hobby as we experiment with new forms of communications, not new forms of killing each other. New forms of music is also new commnications. Maybe we should listen to the plants every once and a while, they might tell us how long we have left.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
What I find interesting is that ARRL is saying nothing about the jamming or the infringement burden on the 40 meter band for American amateurs.
What can they do about it? The ARRL has no authority over a foreign government. I suspect that the FCC is already aware of the interference and I assume that they've contacted the State Department. Besides saying to the Cuban government, "Hey, cut it out," I'm not sure anything can be done.

As for the ARRL bashing, it really doesn't contribute to the thread.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I can remember in the early mid-sixties when I was a kid doing shortwave listening and international broadcast from the United States like VOA were jammed. We could could hear radio Havana, radio Kiev, radio Vietnam, Radio Moscow.

The ham bands were also jammed, it sounded like a loud humming noise up and down the dial. Nothing was allowed in behind the Iron Curtain or into Cuba.

I listened back then and the above is perhaps a little misleading. What is ham bands in the U.S .was/is not in other parts of the world. They did jam legit HF broadcast stations in those bands, but were not targeting hams. All jamming I saw back then was direct to the broadcast stations on the same frequencies that were ham bands in other ITU regions. I actually extensively hunted for the jamming signal logging the cw IDs that many would occasionally send and the frequency.

And people should note in this thread that no authoratative source has really connected the current noise with Cuba other than just the timing.

danesgs

govoverments have to work together otherwise we all can fall as a world. Its pretty simply actually. The humane, Those that think one world order are crazy. Look at each country and figure out what is humane and what is a crazy leader. Once all the world has crazy leaders we have something to worry about. Their is no order in this world, only sides to take down reason. GTFU

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The ARRL bashing is well deserved. Why? They claim to support the amateur community through advocacy, but they aren't even a NGO. Status as a Non-Governmental Organization is essential as a advocacy group before domestic governments and international organizations such as the UN, the ITU, etc.

The Red Cross is a NGO, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is an NGO, the International Rescue Committee is as well, as are many other special interest groups. If the ARRL lacks the foresight to become a recognized NGO to promote amateur radio in domestic and international venues, it is prima facie evidence that indicates that they do not take seriously their charter and are unaware of international political influence.

The ARRL could have at least published a position paper condemning the use of tools of war [electronic jamming] against its' own populace and against neighboring states on internationally recognized amateur radio frequencies. Apparently, even that is too much for them.

There are other venues that the US government could have influenced, but haven't bothered to as of yet.

As far as your profane acronym DANESGS... I have both experience and a graduate education in IR and FA. Take your lack of knowledge and comprehensive stupidity elsewhere.

danesgs

Really? I have made a comment on a forum of radio enthusiasts and you call my last name. first initial and middle initial profane? Really? you have a right to your comments here but not to bash others. Arrogance is not right makes right in my book and how many Cubans have you known in your life? This is a radio forum not a political forum. I for one will stop at this point discussing this topic as it surely has ruffled some feathers in your brain. Want a peanut? I give all the squirrels in my backyard peanuts, just bought a bag today, their fresh (the peanuts).

Status
Not open for further replies.