Cullman City Police Online and question for Cullman area listeners

Which would you prefer to listen to for the Cullman Area?

• Cullman City PD

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Cullman County

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nasadave

Hello, I have been experimenting with DSD and an old radio, and now have the Cullman City Police online. I'll probably continue experimentation and try to make it all work as cheaply as possible... anyway, I have a question for Cullman County area listeners....

Since no one else has a feed online in Cullman, would you prefer to have the county or the city police?

Last edited:

nasadave

I can't seem to edit the post now, but I guess another voting option would be to do both... is it typical to do more than one frequency ?

CSL126

I run the Tuscaloosa area feed. I keep mine scanning several different dispatch frequencies. I keep the other channels (traffic stops, tactical comms, etc.) locked out. Typically, I can still keep track of what's going on. With that in mind, it's still irritating to be listening to something interesting and then the scanner locks onto a different channel while someone else is transmitting.

nasadave

That was my thought as well, especially when the listener cannot see the scanner screen and know which one it is on. On the other hand, this is my only setup to be able to hear P25, and there are 2 that I am interested in hearing (city PD dispatch and county sheriff dispatch). I am betting that I am not the only one that would want to hear both those as well.

I wonder if anyone has found a way to do alpha tags with a computer based digital setup (using dsd).

I have seen a few feeds with one frequency / talkgroup as the left audio and another as the right. I have no idea how you would set that up. Obviously would take 2 radios.

johndeere7880

Feed Provider
Cullman County

I would like to listen to both if possible if not it Would be Cullman City. if you can please try to put county Fire, EMS, & EMA to thanks I live in Cullman So thanks

nasadave

A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and updated it to do, Cullman City PD, County Sheriff, and Hanceville PD. I can't do anything but the digital stuff with my setup as it is now, so I can't add Fire, EMS, & EMA until they go digital (Or I decide to buy a real scanner that can do both).

jody_clarke

Belated Response

While I realize it's a bit late for any input on the issue I would have to have voted County only- reason being there's always much more radio traffic via the counties radio system, that being said for those who aren't familiar with the dispatchers voices it can be very difficult to follow. Although most online many Ive seen attempt to scan numerous agencies on a single feed, while very few will dedicate to only one agency (unless it's a metro area). For a log time I've been hoping someone would put a Cullman feed up, while now I have mixed feelings about it as the espescialy the City has been a good bit more open with what they will transmit ever since they went digital knowing that for several years not that many folks would be able to afford digital radios, only now they will be much more likely to use their Verizons for something they might otherwise transmit & od forbid a criminal gets caught using a "scanner app" while committing a crime it very well might push them over the edge to encryption Which is something some agencies in this region are already using, and with the P25's it would be a breeze to do. So it's sort of a double edged sword in my opinion- Don't get me wrong I think it's great you invested the time, effort, and money into getting the feed up- perhaps I'm just being a bit selfish considering all the money I've spent on portable radio equipment, although the possibility of encryption is a very real and scary one for all of us long time monitors as we were all scared too death they were going to encrypt when they switched to digital, yet thankfully they did not., while it is nice to have if I ever leave my radio at the house I can pull out my phone if need be. There's a gentleman on these forums that goes by the name of Daniel I won't say who his employer is, but suffice to say he is well in the know when it comes to the City of Cullman's Radio System he was instramental in the switch over to digital I will run this buy him just to ease my fears- not that it means jack to you as you have the right to re-broadcast whatever you want (well for the most part) regardless of what anyone says, and as mentioned I like it(sort of)- simply relaying an old time communication hobbyists opinion, as I've been monitoring Cullman's Police, Fire, etc, since I was 12 years old. BTW- Cullman fire and EMS from what I've read and heard will never go digital or at least no time soon (not in next 8 or so years) digital is horrid for fire and rescue comms, as a digital radio has trouble with background noises such as chainsaws and other loud equipment- there are many forums on here that deal with that issue.

nasadave

Thanks for the response and thoughts. I agree with your sentiments on the issue. I mainly put it up for my own convenience of monitoring and as sharing with others as a second benefit. I could easily just stream from my home to my phone direct to listen rather than here, but this place has a lot of benefits. My rambling thoughts are, if they didn't want the feed here I'd likely just take it down, especially if the alternative was encryption all the time. Criminals can buy scanners too (heck, they probably just steal them since they are criminals :) ) ... and we have no idea how many already have them. I'd hope they would consider that there are probably more listeners with scanners right now than web streamers, so if they are ok with things as they were before, they haven't changed much. Plus there is a 30 sec + delay in audio on the web stream, which makes it less useful in the heat of a crime.

Regarding the multiple frequencies being scanned and the dispatchers voice. If you listen with a client that supports alpha tags, you'll see City/County/etc as the song title.

Let me know that guy's opinion on the topic, I certainly don't want to agitate those protecting us.

jody_clarke

That's cool, didn't realize you were able to get the alpha tags to display via the RR java player, and also would have to agree with your other comments-thanks for the response, J. Clarke

askdaniel1

Cullman

I'll answer from my point of view here in public. Honestly, my first thought, was "wow I need to install the phone app to keep tabs on what is going on; less junk to carry around."

In truth, yes, my second thought was that I could see the a feed being an issue to push traffic to alternate channels, or worse yet encryption. However, I do everything possible to insure and improve interoperability, thus encryption is a step back for public safety comm. (in my opinion, which isn't written law, but is generally the carried decision)

When we started to prep the system, I personally made it clear to every user that the digital traffic could be monitored just like the analog traffic, and the staff is aware of the fact without a doubt. Alternate means of communication exist rather cellular or non-repeated alternate radio frequencies. Within six to eight months mobile data will be up in the cars, and at that point a lot of data will probably be on the computers rather than the radio just as a matter of efficiency as well as security. (No, not planning for silent dispatch, but sure, certain information will probably be on the MDTs and not over the air)

I was originally concerned how the P25 system would work, but a year in I can say the City's radio operations are GREATLY improved with multiple site RX and the voice clarity. Another huge help is unit IDs. County wide (for the most part) unified unit IDs alias all users on the systems. The simple things really make day to day operations better.

jody_clarke

Thanks Daniel, glad you caught this as I haven't had a chance to ask you how you felt about it, thanks for clearing things up as well as the info as to why dispatch will be a bit quieter in the near future. Am guessing officers will be able to run 28/29's-etc w/in their own cars via laptops, taking a lot of the burden off dispatch? No doubt great for the dispatcher and convenient for the officers just not as much over the air traffic for us hobbyists/radio junkies.
Thanks again, J. Clarke

askdaniel1

State record lookups have actually already been possible for around a year via existing software. (all units got laptops and aircards around this time last year) The existing software isn't quite as inclusive as the new mobile data software/CAD being implemented.

One thing to remember is in a lot of those cases the officer is out of the car, or otherwise in a situation in which focusing on a computer rather than the suspect is a safety issue. In the same way typing in a car tag while you are driving down the road is equally a safety problem.

morganAL

I can say from experience that some things do get moved to the MDT but here it hasn't really decreased radio traffic that much. We have been using MDTs here for almost 10 years. Sure, they can look up tags and DL info but the biggest benefits are DL pictures if there is a question of an individual's identity, the ability to see "Premise" info attached to an address (officer safety, KNOX-BOX info, access codes), and the occasional dispatch that doesn't need to be aired on open channels. The MDTs also have a GPS so the dispatchers can see unit locations and that enables them to send the closest unit on "hot' calls.

State record lookups have actually already been possible for around a year via existing software. (all units got laptops and aircards around this time last year) The existing software isn't quite as inclusive as the new mobile data software/CAD being implemented.

One thing to remember is in a lot of those cases the officer is out of the car, or otherwise in a situation in which focusing on a computer rather than the suspect is a safety issue. In the same way typing in a car tag while you are driving down the road is equally a safety problem.

nasadave

jody_clarke, askdaniel1, morganAL:

Could any of you speak to the audio quality on the feed as compared to a real scanner? I am curious about the clarity of the DSD software that I am using. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.