Cumberland County change

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrowl

A sign on the door of the Cumberland County Rescue Squad states that the use of
Rescue Dispatch VHF 155.220 is being discontinued/replaced with a new UHF frequency,
no information on the new frequency was shown.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Not sure which Freq they are going to be using but there are several UHF freqs Cumberland County is licensed for. Below is a list of the Repeated freqs (not the inputs).

The listed use of these are "County Government-- Law Enforcment, Fire & Rescue"

So I would try the freqs I listed above... Also you might look for their sheriff's dept and fire dept to go to UHF. If they keep the same number of freqs that are listed in the RR database then this would be perfect.

dtscho

Database Admin
Just checked out that license (WQFZ573), and it looks like Cumberland County might be going with some digital on those UHF freqs. Emission codes such as 6K00F3E, 6K00F9W, and 8K10F1E hint at the possible use of digital. However, they also have an emission code 11K0F3E on the freqs. This is usually the code for analog voice, so maybe they're setting up the system to use digital and analog.

Dave

richrowl

CVASSB said:
I still hear them dispatch on 155.220 Richard.

Steve,
The notice on the door of the Rescue Squad Building states that they are scheduled to change, the change had not been made. As I recall it stated that the radio would default to UHF when turned on and that they would have to manually select VHF.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Their license has a huge amount of stuff, for what's basically 4 repeater pairs at sites around Cartersville, Cumberland and Farmville. Emission types have been added, but apparently none subtracted. Maybe someone talked them into P25 for themselves, and maybe some analog capability for their neighbors in Prince Edward.

It also indicates that they're overdue to roll out the system...their extension expired last Thursday.

Maybe I'll do some hiking out there over Spring Break.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
UHF is up and running

A trip to Cumberland State Forest today brought some updates on Cumberland and Buckingham.

453.1625r [107.2] - Cumberland Fire/Rescue dispatch

453.6375r [107.2] - Cumberland Sheriff dispatch

151.3100r [167.9] - Buckingham Sheriff dispatch (used to be 156.0375, I thought)

158.8350r [167.9] - Buckingham Fire/Rescue dispatch (still)

151.2500r [167.9] - Buckingham Fire/Rescue 2? -

During my time out there, Buckingham had an incident along Belmont Rd (SR657). It involved the mention of divers, a helicopter, K9's, the medical examiner and a flatbed tow truck. Sounds like someone must've gone in the river in a car and drowned.

Units at the scene were instructed to switch to Fire/Rescue 2. I didn't hear an on-scene comms, but incident command communicated with the base on the 151.25 repeater. HQ was told to contact someone 'on the sheriff channel' and that appears to have been 151.31.

Possibly a lot of mutual aid here. One unit was heard 'returning to Glenmore', which I believe is north of I-64 in Albemarle or Fluvanna county. I've also seen a blue helicopter parked in that area along I-64. Never could ID it, and I have no idea if it could've been involved in this. There was also a fair amount of traffic Nelson Co. Fire/Rescue, but unknown if related to this.

While Cumberland's footprint is considerably expanded now, the audio sounds pretty anemic. Each transmission seems to begin with 3 DTMF tones and they're the best-sounding part. I'm wondering if this is going to be another Prince George.

Final item:

453.8000 [d023] - data bursts heard. This is a popular DCS code in Prince Edward County, and I think that Piedmont Regional Jail is licensed for this frequency.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Allen, good information to have.

Do we know for sure that both fire & rescue have moved to the UHF channel in Cumberland? I ask since fire was being dispatched on VHF-low and CVRS was on 155.220. It would be great if they finally did go to a joint frequency.

In fact, when the new fire department (Randolph District VFD) started a couple of years ago, they actually were going to go with CVRS on 155.220, but ultimately decided against it, and went VHF-low with the other two VFD's in the county. There's still a lot of fierce independence within the county on some things, a common frequency might help some of that calm a little.

As for the Buckingham incident, I wish I hadn't missed that one. Regardless, Glenmore is one of the four VFD's in Buckingham County, so that would jive with the transmission you heard.

Will plug the new freq's into the scanner!

richrowl

Blue Helicopter

N4JRI wrote...... I've also seen a blue helicopter parked in that area along I-64.

The PHI SkyStat Air Medical heli based at the Farmville airport is predominately blue
with a sea green tail and it's registration is N303PH. On medevac missions it will ID
as SkyStat I (one).

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
richrowl said:
N4JRI wrote...... I've also seen a blue helicopter parked in that area along I-64.

The PHI SkyStat Air Medical heli based at the Farmville airport is predominately blue
with a sea green tail and it's registration is N303PH. On medevac missions it will ID
as SkyStat I (one).

The helo I saw near Glenmore predates SkyStat (I think I saw it during the Wilder administration). I never was able to ID it for sure, and haven't seen it in a while.

BTW, I heard a paging signal this evening on 453.8625 [107.2] that had a parallel signal on 155.22 [173.8]. It was too broken up to get positive ID's, but was around 6p. Sounds like rescue may have their own repeater.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Update on 453.8625 [107.2] definitely Cumberland Rescue, parallel to 155.22 [173.8].

I'm hearing other EMS-type calls on 453.1625 [107.2], but no parallel traffic on either of the above frequencies. Does Cumberland Co. have another rescue squad, or possibly some VFD's have an EMS component?

73/Allen (N4JRI)

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Cumberland has two rescue squads located within the county, Cumberland VRS (on Route 60 west of Cumberland CH) and Cartersville VRS (in Cartersville, believe it or not!). Both of them used to be on the old 155.220 together. Most of the traffic generated around Cartersville has "5" in the designator ("Cumberland to 5-Charlie" or "512 to dispatch"). The 5 just appears to be some random number they picked when they started several years ago.

Prince Edward VRS has a small response area within northern Cumberland County, along the Route 45 corridor.

None of the three VFD's in the county does EMS at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.