Current model scanners with detachable/remote control head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Due to space restrictions in my truck, about the only way I'll be able to fit a scanner in it, is to buy one that has a control head/remote mount. I have space behind the back seat to mount the radio itself. Am I correct in assuming that the only game in town is the TRX-2?

Thanks,
Rob

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Consider whether anything in the area to which you would travel has simulcasted trunked systems. If they do, the TRX is likely the last scanner you want to buy. Of course this is very dependent on where you are in relation to the number of tower(s) in the desired system

Mike

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike, I dont really monitor trunked systems now, as I can only listen to P25 Phase 1 with my current scanner at home, and the only thing I can think of that I'd listen to is So Cal Edison and I dont think they are simulcast. I'm aware of the simulcast issues of the GRE radios vs. Uniden's SDS line. Most of the stuff I listen to (resource mgmt & Fire) is conventional P25 or Analog anyways.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Consider whether anything in the area to which you would travel has simulcasted trunked systems. If they do, the TRX is likely the last scanner you want to buy. Of course this is very dependent on where you are in relation to the number of tower(s) in the desired system

Mike

I have a friend who bought a TRX-2 for his vehicle. According to him, it would suffer overload and desense, especially on VHF-hi. This is similar to the problems with its ancestor, the GRE PSR-600.

Because vehicles don't have enough room to mount a true mobile scanner, my old standby for the past 20 years was to use a PanaVise In Dash mount with an HT. Unfortunately, Panavise scaled back the vehicles they make their mounts for.

Progline

Premium Subscriber
Warren, I have a PSR-600, and have run it occasionally as mobile and I've not had any issues with overload/desense/intermod with a VHF-hi whip. And I live very near a major telecomm site (Oat Mountain) in the LA Basin.

However, when used as a base installation with an external antenna, it used to get intermod interference until I put about 3db of attenuation by splitting the antenna feed- since then it's been fine. I had the same issue with my GRE-made Radio Shack Pro-2055's as well. They are just a little "too sensitive" if you live in an RF-heavy area.

The issue I have is I dont have room to permanently mount a full radio chassis in the car. Thus a need for a control head.
-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.