Current Setup-Very simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Here is my current setup. Not bragging or showing anything off here. Just sharing :) A lot of work went into the desktop to run the SDR.

(Computer)
Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
Ultra LSP550 Power Supply
ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor 2.5 Ghz
Thermaltake TG1 Extreme High Grade Thermal Grease
Masscool CPU Fan
4 Gigs Crucial PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory
Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B 24x DVDRW Drive
Seagate Barracuda LP Hard Drive–1TB
Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive-500GB
NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT PCI Express Video Card
5 Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AG-R2 120mm Green LED Case Fans
Super Talent 3 ½ Media Card Reader
Logitech X-140 Speakers
LG 27 Inch Lcd Monitor
Netgear Wnd3700 Wireless Router
Cable Internet 20mbs DL
Windows 7 Home Premium

(Radios)
Uniden Bearcat bct15x
RF Space SD-IQ

(Antennas)
G5RV Maple Mini
Antennacraft ST3

(Software)
Proscan
Pdw
Unitrunker
HDSdr
Sdr-Radio
Multi-Psk
B-Log

Last edited:

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Looks nice! The 27" monitor must be great for the waterfall display. Does the SDR-IQ & associated software really need that much computing horsepower to run? I'm running my Perseus SDR off a cheap netbook with good results. Just curious.

SCPD

QRT
Originally i just wanted to upgrade the motherboard and cpu and keep everything off the old desktop well that did not happen. My OCD kicked in and i went out and bought parts little by little and built it all up. the case has room for 6 fan and i went out and bought 6 fans :) the power supply leads on the old desktop was not long enough so i bought a better one. I was going to buy 2 27inch monitors 1 for the waterfall and 1 for the spectrum but real estate is tight on the desk and it would not fit. So now im looking for another desk so i can do the 2 27's. As soon as the weather gets nice i will mount the antennas on the roof. the sdriq was $500 the desktop with everything i have in it was about $500-$600 the lcd was $400 so for $1500 i have the hf receiver and desktop i wanted for a while. Didn't mention the wireless audio i have so i can listen with headphones when i goto sleep. I cant sleep without one of the 2 radios on :)

Last edited:

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
Originally i just wanted to upgrade the motherboard and cpu and keep everything off the old desktop well that did not happen. My OCD kicked in and i went out and bought parts little by little and built it all up. the case has room for 6 fan and i went out and bought 6 fans :) the power supply leads on the old desktop was not long enough so i bought a better one. I was going to buy 2 27inch monitors 1 for the waterfall and 1 for the spectrum but real estate is tight on the desk and it would not fit. So now im looking for another desk so i can do the 2 27's. As soon as the weather gets nice i will mount the antennas on the roof. the sdriq was $500 the desktop with everything i have in it was about $500-$600 the lcd was $400 so for $1500 i have the hf receiver and desktop i wanted for a while. Didn't mention the wireless audio i have so i can listen with headphones when i goto sleep. I cant sleep without one of the 2 radios on :)

Ya, I get that :) What's the model # of the LG monitor? How does it perform with normal computing tasks? Any RFI issues with your HF receiver from the computer or monitor?

brandon

Database Admin
Awesome setup! That new computer and monitor must be working very well.

Looks nice! The 27" monitor must be great for the waterfall display. Does the SDR-IQ & associated software really need that much computing horsepower to run? I'm running my Perseus SDR off a cheap netbook with good results. Just curious.

I ran the SDR-IQ on a MSI Wind U100 and it worked but once you did any type of recording it started to struggle. Software was WinradHD (now HDSDR) to run full screen on a secondary display. I now use the SDR on a secondary quad core system and it's smooth as silk.

Look forward to hearing about the monitor I would not mind picking up a 27 inch :D

SCPD

QRT
Brandon: The monitor is awesome. Huge difference from the Samsung cant wait to add the other one.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Microcenter was selling 28" monitors for $250, I picked one up in the store near K.C. but they sell online too.

Man, I really need one of those sdr rigs. I've been patting with a funcube dongle and it has got me wanting one.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Mancow if you like the funcube youll love the sdr-iq or any HF sdr. Im from knobs and dials and went to SDR thanks to brandon and token. I will never go back to knobs again. When you use you funcube on the 28 it makes a huge difference right.

SCPD

QRT
The cooling in the case took a lot of work because of all the the different ports for fans and it holds variable size fans. I can use 2 120mm for front and top or 1 240mm for front and top. I opted to go with 2 120mm in the front pulling air in and 2 120mm on top pulling air out and 1 120mm in the back also pulling air out. The HAF Case is a pleasure to work with cause of the amount of room you have and cable management is very good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.