Cussing over Lyon Co Sheriff channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Anyone hear the cussing over the Lyon Co sheriff channel this morning between 3-4am? there was a car chase and someone was cussing at someone at various different times over the radio. don't know if it was intentional over the air or a stuck button. Funny no one else seems to say anything about it over the radio. some of it sounded racial i dare not repeat. if that was a deputy he sure will get ripped for it i bet.
update:
heard on the Osage Co SO that LYCO SO lost the subject around Miller but lots of the radio traffic on the LYCO SO freq wasn't the deputies talking. So someone unauthorized is talking on there. question is who in Lyon Co got ahold of a radio and how? A modded ham radio or a stolen police radio? this sort of thing is unheard of around here. it will sure make it bad on me and other hams for sure. The police already know of me around town with all the radios. Who could miss my car with all the antennas.

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Very clear on the feed. Numerous transmissions 2012-04-28, 03:12 AM - 03:42 AM. Doesn't sound like one of the officers. The person sounds drunk and you can hear laughing in the background. It sounds like either someone got a hold of one of their radios or someone bought one on ebay and is reeking havoc. I am hearing of more incidents like this happening lately. There is another one ongoing in California and a guy was arrested in Michigan for this very thing. I see two-way radios for sale here on RR and on ebay and it doesn't take much to program one to a local conventional frequency. I don't see any reason to think it is a ham (even though the guy in MI was). The hams in the area should offer their services in doing a "direction finding" on this guy. It was hams that located the guy in MI. There are more transmissions at 03:57 AM and 04:03 AM, where they actually call the SO and ask their 20.

Last edited:

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Very clear on the feed. Numerous transmissions 2012-04-28, 03:12 AM - 03:42 AM. Doesn't sound like one of the officers. The person sounds drunk and you can hear laughing in the background. It sounds like either someone got a hold of one of their radios or someone bought one on ebay and is reeking havoc. I am hearing of more incidents like this happening lately. There is another one ongoing in CA and a guy was arrested in MI for this very thing. I see these radios for sale here and on ebay and it doesn't take much to program one. I don't see any reason to think it is a ham. The hams in the area should offer their services in doing a direction finding on this guy. It was hams that located the guy in MI. There are more transmissions at 03:57 AM and 04:03 AM, where they actually call the SO and ask their 20.

I missed the 3:57 and 4:03 one. Glad to know i'm not the only one hearing this. btw Do you live in Emporia? I'm in Emporia.

firefive76

I heard parts of it. Anymore, I'm thinking agencies that have gotten on KSICS have the right idea, that way only certain radios are authorized, anyone that keys up can be identified, radios can be removed if stolen, etc.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
I heard parts of it. Anymore, I'm thinking agencies that have gotten on KSICS have the right idea, that way only certain radios are authorized, anyone that keys up can be identified, radios can be removed if stolen, etc.

i wonder if last night was the first of it happening? I wonder if the FCC is on the way yet? i wonder if they can catch the guy very easy. I remember this happened on the BNSF railway here a few hears go. Someone was cussing and using foul language. It only lasted a day or two. They must not had a battery charger and used the battery up. People are sure retarded if using foul language and cussing is all they can come up with.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
Many of the smaller counties do not control their channels very well and allow auxilliary personnel (e.g. volunteer firefighters, weather spotters, sheriff's posse members etc) to purchase their own portable and mobile radios. Unfortunately, when those folks leave the service- the radio usually goes with them (or is sold) and there is no attempt to wipe the program from them. There have also been a number of instances where children / teens etc. have gotten ahold of a radio belonging to a parent and have done exactly as you described with their buddies. Unfortunately, unless they have some sort of radio ID system built into the conventional radios they use they will not be able to tell who is transmitting.

Oh, and the FCC rarely ever gets involved with these sort of issues- they are left for the local licensee to resolve.

firefive76

I was going to also mention volunteer firefighters. They are not suppose to have transmit capabilities on our LE channel here, but that hasn't stopped some from getting it anyway.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Many of the smaller counties do not control their channels very well and allow auxilliary personnel (e.g. volunteer firefighters, weather spotters, sheriff's posse members etc) to purchase their own portable and mobile radios. Unfortunately, when those folks leave the service- the radio usually goes with them (or is sold) and there is no attempt to wipe the program from them. There have also been a number of instances where children / teens etc. have gotten ahold of a radio belonging to a parent and have done exactly as you described with their buddies. Unfortunately, unless they have some sort of radio ID system built into the conventional radios they use they will not be able to tell who is transmitting.

Oh, and the FCC rarely ever gets involved with these sort of issues- they are left for the local licensee to resolve.

that reminds me a good 5+ yrs ago i heard what sounded like high school kids chit chatting late at night on the high school freq. Must have been kids of an administrator messing around with their mom or dads radios.

Deputies cussing on the radio, hell the Colorado DTRS has it's very own talkgroup for kids now! :)

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...-forum/237947-8116-new-dtrs-tg-kids-play.html

Speaking of kids, a while back at BNSF Lincoln Yard, a Conductor's kids got a hold of the portable radios and was playing cops and robbers, among other things for a good while on the Creston Sub road channel. BNSF radio geeks eventually tracked them down and it all stopped.

Last edited:

jacobsmith

that reminds me a good 5+ yrs ago i heard what sounded like high school kids chit chatting late at night on the high school freq. Must have been kids of an administrator messing around with their mom or dads radios.

My EMS is on our statewide digital radio system and at about maybe 11.40 pm (Open air for about three seconds and you could hear the PTT tone go off "I love you grandpa... (about another three seconds of TX then release) Then you hear the dispatcher come on "Beeeeeeeeep tone "Radio calling portable 121126 check your mic, radio to 126 check your mic".

Then you hear "126 radio my apologies"

(the dispatcher chuckling "Copy 126, not a probelm... made my night. Radios clear time is xx:xx"

I wonder what the "12" at the beggining means though

I think that it's "12" the year of the radio "1" is a portable and 126 is the bage number?

Because when ever they sign in they always say portable 12-1 and then a three or two digit number

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Deputies cussing on the radio, hell the Colorado DTRS has it's very own talkgroup for kids now! :)

http://forums.radioreference.com/co...-forum/237947-8116-new-dtrs-tg-kids-play.html

Speaking of kids, a while back at BNSF Lincoln Yard, a Conductor's kids got a hold of the portable radios and was playing cops and robbers, among other things for a good while on the Creston Sub road channel. BNSF radio geeks eventually tracked them down and it all stopped.

I wonder what they did to the conductor's kids or the conductor? was the kids unsupervised at the yard?

NR0W

Should have heard them in ottawa county the morning of the jail break. The escapes got into dispatch roughed up the two corrections office and the dispatcher. A lot of screaming and cussing that morning.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Should have heard them in ottawa county the morning of the jail break. The escapes got into dispatch roughed up the two corrections office and the dispatcher. A lot of screaming and cussing that morning.
that sounds scary. I guess their dispatch isn't secure. the Emporia PD and LYCO SO dispatches are very secure. the Emporia PD dispatch is in a back room somewhere now and you can't talk to the dispatcher face to face anymore and have to use a speaker on the wall. really sucks. the old dispatch had the windows and such for security but after 9/11 i guess they want to hide in the back.

cinsu

I wonder what the "12" at the beggining means though

I think that it's "12" the year of the radio "1" is a portable and 126 is the bage number?

Because when ever they sign in they always say portable 12-1 and then a three or two digit number

That would be the radio ID. I would be rather entertained if the radio ID actually conicided with the unit number. All radios on a trunked system have a 6-10 digit radio ID number, kind of like a cell phone number that tracks that radios usage and can be used to lock that radio out of the system. All radio on Shawnee County start with 710--- and do not correspond to anything.

n0lqt

That would be the radio ID. I would be rather entertained if the radio ID actually conicided with the unit number. All radios on a trunked system have a 6-10 digit radio ID number, kind of like a cell phone number that tracks that radios usage and can be used to lock that radio out of the system. All radio on Shawnee County start with 710--- and do not correspond to anything.

Prepare to be entertained!

BU County Sheriff has all their radios assigned to the units by badge/radio number. Radio id#'s 20663 and 20863 are assigned to to BUSO #63 and so on....

firefive76

Kind of off subject, but what is the deal with fire paging in Lyon County? Sometimes the dispatch will set the tones off multiple times and not give any voice, sometimes PD pages a call out and immediately after SO does the same thing, and this afternoon, they both tried to page a injury accident at the same time, so the SO/PD traffic was all garbled together and you couldn't understand any of it. It's like one doesn't pay any attention to what the other is doing! You'd think they would have some sort of agreement for paging calls so this doesn't happen.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Kind of off subject, but what is the deal with fire paging in Lyon County? Sometimes the dispatch will set the tones off multiple times and not give any voice, sometimes PD pages a call out and immediately after SO does the same thing, and this afternoon, they both tried to page a injury accident at the same time, so the SO/PD traffic was all garbled together and you couldn't understand any of it. It's like one doesn't pay any attention to what the other is doing! You'd think they would have some sort of agreement for paging calls so this doesn't happen.
I haven't heard that but quite often at night the LYCO SO repeater stays stuck on for several minutes. i know it's the repeater because if someone tried to talk over a stuck radio it would be garbled up or make that noise that it does when two radios are transmitting the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.