Custom APRS cable for iPHone to Yaesu FTM-7250DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM6CMY

Hello,

I’m trying to make a custom cable with a stereo plug on one end going to the RJ12 port on the Yaesu FTM-7250DR for APRS use.
If the stereo cable has S, - and +, what pins should it be connected to on the RJ12 connector?
Unless anyone knows of a custom cable that’s already available for purchase online.
Got this diagram from Yaesu’s tech support for the pinouts for the mic.
Thanks

FTM-7250DR Jack.JPG

Attachments

• FTM-7250DR Jack.JPG
    FTM-7250DR Jack.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 5

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This is going to require more than a cable, if it can be done at all. I take it that you want to access the phone's GPS and somehow take that signal and use it to key up the transceiver. First of all, I don't believe that the iPhone's GPS data can be output through the headphone jack. I have developed apps that used the phone's GPS (and the accelerometer). However, they only displayed values on the screen. Could they have transferred data using the Lightning port to another device? Possibly. Could they control the PTT on the radio? Unknown to me.

The better solution would be to get a Yaesu radio with a built in GPS. The FTM-300 and 400 are examples. In the handheld area both the FT2 and FT3 can do this. That way you use the B band as the APRS and you can talk on band A. I don't believe that the 7250 can be configured this way even if it had a GPS or was connected to an external GPS. By the way, that device would probably connect to the data port on the radio not the mike jack.

Perhaps someone else has a magical solution and I don't know what I'm talking about.

KM6CMY

This is going to require more than a cable, if it can be done at all. I take it that you want to access the phone's GPS and somehow take that signal and use it to key up the transceiver. First of all, I don't believe that the iPhone's GPS data can be output through the headphone jack. I have developed apps that used the phone's GPS (and the accelerometer). However, they only displayed values on the screen. Could they have transferred data using the Lightning port to another device? Possibly. Could they control the PTT on the radio? Unknown to me.

The better solution would be to get a Yaesu radio with a built in GPS. The FTM-300 and 400 are examples. In the handheld area both the FT2 and FT3 can do this. That way you use the B band as the APRS and you can talk on band A. I don't believe that the 7250 can be configured this way even if it had a GPS or was connected to an external GPS. By the way, that device would probably connect to the data port on the radio not the mike jack.

Perhaps someone else has a magical solution and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Hello ko6jw_2,
My current setup that works is a 3.5mm plugged stereo cable from my iPhone X, running the aprs.fi app, to the microphone port of the Baofeng BF-F8hp. I don't have the Baofeng APRS cable but I can track and send text messages with the setup.
I thought I'd better try and see if that'll work with my Yaesu FTM-7250DR because I go to the desert frequently and the additional power of the Yaesu will allow me to reach out compared to the HT.

Was able to talk to a ham friend of mine and he said to use only 2 of the pins, connect the mic pin to the tip of stereo plug and the ground pin to the base of the stereo plug. I guess I can give it a shot and see and hope that I don't fry anything.

Yes the FTM-300/400 are really nice radios and would be much easier to use. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the reply and will keep you posted.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I agree AK9R a Bluetooth device would be great. Didn't think about that. I have no need for such an arrangement since I have a couple of Yaesu radios with GPS.

KM6CMY

Another alternative is the Mobilinkd TNC. It can be connected to most any radio and you can connect it to a smartphone or tablet using Bluetooth.

Hi AK9R,
Was curious so I inquired with Mobillinkd and this is what they said:

"Hi,
We only directly support mobile radios with a standard packet data port. For the FTM-7250DR, you can either make your own cable (we sell the 3.5mm connectors for the TNC end of the cable) or check with Les at http://www.hammadeparts.com to see if he has one that will work with your radio. Even if you don't see one on his side, he may be able to make one for you.

Kind Regards,"

Status
Not open for further replies.