• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Custom PDU or Havis ChargeGuard

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
Just an update.. The PDU arrived last week, haven't really opened it. Just ordered ChargeGuard $26 used but looks like it's in good shape off eBay. Still haven't decided yet, but sort of leaning chargeguard. Will probably contact D&R to see if they can give me some in-depth info on the PDU just in-case it's got any hidden game-changers.

Happy New Year.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
Question on the chargeguard.. It says it only runs 30A. I've got the Whelen 295HFSM1, and a high power MCS2000. I plan on choking the power down on the MCS2000 to like 65%. With the siren and the mcs2000 and an LED interior bar and a dominator traffic advisor in the back window won't I be over the limit?

Edit, I'll only be running one speaker on the siren, even though both power wires will be hooked up to power, I'll only have one speaker hooked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfd119

I don't think you'll have a problem. I have numerous LED lights in my vehicle and can transmit with them on with no issues.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the siren, lights, and transmitting at the same time. Only one way to find out. Throw a 30amp fuse between the ChargeGuard and equipment and see if you blow it.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'll have a problem. I have numerous LED lights in my vehicle and can transmit with them on with no issues.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the siren, lights, and transmitting at the same time. Only one way to find out. Throw a 30amp fuse between the ChargeGuard and equipment and see if you blow it.

Thanks, that's also the only thing I'm worried about. Basically any response scenario...ha. That's a great idea to test it! If it blows I suppose I'll just have to teach myself to turn off the siren before transmitting. The people on the receiving end will probably thank me for that anyways, ha.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks, that's also the only thing I'm worried about. Basically any response scenario...ha. That's a great idea to test it! If it blows I suppose I'll just have to teach myself to turn off the siren before transmitting. The people on the receiving end will probably thank me for that anyways, ha.

Or, do what was suggested earlier:
Connect the two MCS-2000's directly to the battery. Use the ignition sense leads to control the radios.
Much easier and you won't overload the unit.

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
Connect the two MCS-2000's directly to the battery. Use the ignition sense leads to control the radios.

I do like that idea as well. Could hook the ign sense to the fuse box. I haven't drilled the firewall yet, so still a possibility. the console is pretty much in the truck. Need to make a thread for it here soon. Don't know where to put the chargeguard/master switch since I have speakers on both sides of my console where sfd put his.. maybe able to squeeze the master switch in on the driver's side..but ideall the chargeguard was gonna be accessible. May not end up being the case.

cmdrwill

And the radios will retain the last settings, chan and scan.

austinm6

Premium Subscriber
I use two charge guards and I love them! Never had any problems with them. I have a 110 watt MCS2000 and a CDM that are hooked into one of the charge guards using separate relays. When power is restored, they still end up on the last channel and continue scanning if they were scanning before.

Status
Not open for further replies.