Custom Searches for some Military Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC2OY

Ladies and gentleman,
I'm trying to program some custom searches in my Uniden 536 for some military bands and so forth. my Question is for the modulation setting, can I just set it to auto or does it have be specific like AM or FM? Thank anybody who responds.

mancow

Database Admin
30-88 FM
138-144 could be AM, FM or even P25
148-151 Same
225-390 AM
380-390 P25

prcguy

In the US most VHF lo band mil comms are on the even MHz, like 30MHz, 32MHz, 34Mhz, 36Mhz and at 40Mhz it seems to be solid military through 41.99 then sporadic use through 88Mhz. I've caught them within TV channel 2 (at 55.000MHz) when it was still a valid TV channel and in my local area there are a couple of 65MHz freqs in use.

All VHF low band would be considered NFM on your scanner (about 8KHz dev) but not the new NFM standard of 2.5KHz dev if your radio does that. Otherwise the bandplan is basically what mancow mentions above but I have heard some Navy(?) comms around 230MHz in NFM mode doing something covert offshore. Don't forget UHF military satcom downlinks in the roughly 245 to 270MHz range NFM.
prcguy

AC2OY

Thank you everybody! I'm actually impressed that I actually figured out how to program some searches and some discovery sessions watching those videos. At nearly the ripe old age of fifty,I'm still teachable amazing...LOL

wtp

about auto mode

what it means is that the radio will default to a preset modulation for a band.
it will not change from am to fm or vice versa
if you are listening to 255 to 380 mhz it will use am if set to auto .however if you want to hear a satellite you would want fm or nfm and would have to change the setting.

AC2OY

what it means is that the radio will default to a preset modulation for a band.
it will not change from am to fm or vice versa
if you are listening to 255 to 380 mhz it will use am if set to auto .however if you want to hear a satellite you would want fm or nfm and would have to change the setting.

Oh ok thank you WTP I got it to scan but it got stuck on the 300 band did in fact say AM but I heard nothing I'm wondering if it was because of AM or because I use the stock telescopic antenna? To be honist I never heard anything that resembled anything military I suppose I need to experement more.

AC2OY

If it got "hung up" it was probley a birdie if it hits something with just static then l/o and keep going

Recon for the last few hours I've doing some fine tuning like putting some alert lights in and to be honest every time it stops on a federal or US Air Force all I hear is buzz or static. I'm talking in the 300,409,and 168 bands either AM or NFM. I would have to assume not the correct antenna.

mancow

Database Admin
Sit on 311.000 for a while. That's the 11175 of UHF.

MILAIR really does require an outside antenna unless you have a base nearby. Also, lots of consumer devices radiate crap across that band. Your whip has no advantage of height and is probably swamped with nearby rf garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.