Customer service disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
So I dropped my 436 on its antenna and broke the SMA on the scanner. Not awesome but it happens. I emailed Uniden customer service to see about a replacement part. I was given a nice email back with the part number and cost, as well as costs for a new front housing and display window since mine are a bit scratched up. Was told that I needed to call the provided number to place my order and given shipping costs.

So today I got around to calling, only to be told that all they can sell me is the antenna, which I don't need. I was told to maybe call some other place about the part but they can't sell it to me. It was suggested that I send the scanner back for repair.

Well, I already have my scanner in pieces and the old SMA connector removed. I am proficient in repair and this is a simple job. I do not need the company to do this for me and I'm not reassembling everything just to send it back and pay extra for the service.

I don't understand why I was given all the info needed and prices only to be told when I called that I can't order any of it.

What gives Uniden?

k3fs

Not surprising. They don't have the rubber cover for the ports on the 436 available either. I was unable to screws for the 396XT that are used for the case from Uniden. A hobby shop was able to provide those.

I had done something similar to my 396XT. The SMA mount is easy to find online. I will look to see if I can find who I bought mine from. The solder onto the SMA was the easy part. You have already taken care of the hard part, taking things apart.

Since you have the part number, I would call back (as frustrating as that is!!!), and hopefully you will get someone who listens. I have had similar experiences with Uniden. The person on the phone told me they don't have the parts. I told them they do, and was given the numbers by someone there. After being on hold, they were able to get help and order the parts I needed.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Reminds me of my dealings with TAG Heuer. I took my watch to a local Jeweler to have the battery replaced (Tag wants over $175) and he used the wrong tool to remove the back and scratched the back cover. So I call the TAG headquarters in NJ and 1) The snooty woman proceeds to correct my pronunciation of Heuer!!. 2) Won't sell me the part because a technician needs to "evaluate the watch" $250 labor. I did find another Jeweler with the proper tools and he buffed out the scratches. The whole repair with new battery $35 at the mall

I guess I could have had the first Jeweler pick up the tab for factory repair but I am not a DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.