Customers, Customers, Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardmj

If I can't find something then I ask someone far better than me who knows..You can't please all of, the people all of the time but you can please some of the people most of the time....

So True
Whatever Happened to help each other out some should just not chime in thinking they are smarter than most it is about sharing info If you guys Remember a Sight Called Strong Signals thats how it should be Done !:lol:

hoser147

If I can't find something then I ask someone far better than me who knows..You can't please all of, the people all of the time but you can please some of the people most of the time....

So True
Whatever Happened to help each other out some should just not chime in thinking they are smarter than most it is about sharing info If you guys Remember a Sight Called Strong Signals thats how it should be Done !:lol:

Hey Wizard STRONG signals is still very much around..............Hoser

lugoffman

You know, there are many many times that I just bite my tongue and suck it up when I have to deal with aboslute terrible customers on this site, but I wanted you guys to see some of the crappy stuff that I have to put up with.

Check out this email that I got today from a "new" user of the site

Name removed to keep his privacy, but sheesh.

Hey lindsay I want my money back to I can't yet pass the ham test hahahah!! lol !!! just kiding, any ways maybe you should put Frequency data base ,insted of data base , just a segestion

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Like some above, my question would be HOW do you spend several hours on this site and NOT find a single frequency? That must actually take a concerted effort. My neighbor's inbred Golden Retarded who is one synapse away from photosynthesis is smarter than that.
Very simple. He probably belongs to the same group of people that think that the RadioReference Database is a completely different site than these forums. I don't know how many times I have seen someone post here in the forums something like this: "Hey, I just found this great site for looking up frequencies, click this link."

Are there files not showable to someone like me that is on the "free" plan? I'm considering getting a subscription whenever I get a digital scanner(looking as of this moment) to replace my 8 year old radio shack 2040. The current model for subscriptions you have seems very sensible and I wouldn't change it as it looks worth it to me.
No. Everything (frequency wise) that is visible to members is visible to all members. Premium members, beside the download ability, also have the ability to do searches, get formatted printouts, etc.

I think you just need to implement one additional policy - NO REFUNDS. Seriously, what a hassle to go thru just for someone who probably (as others have said) downloaded what he needed and now wants his money back. I'd love to have a peek at the logs to see (yes for those who are wondering, Lindsay DOES have a way to see what's been downloaded, when and by whom).
This is something I think that Lindsay is more than fair about; indeed, if it was me, there would be no refunds issued for any reason.

lugoffman

Very simple. He probably belongs to the same group of people that think that the RadioReference Database is a completely different site than these forums. I don't know how many times I have seen someone post here in the forums something like this: "Hey, I just found this great site for looking up frequencies, click this link."

No. Everything (frequency wise) that is visible to members is visible to all members. Premium members, beside the download ability, also have the ability to do searches, get formatted printouts, etc.

This is something I think that Lindsay is more than fair about; indeed, if it was me, there would be no refunds issued for any reason.

Well loumaag , I see your point and others point in this matter , but in other cases I have seen you and many others delete post , close , and move post and then tell the ones that you have moved or closed , deleted , that it is bad forum and sometimes even say things that was , to me rude and uncalled for.
Now in this case someone wants there money back I dont believe they should get it back if you pay , then that should be a sign saying (I know a little about the forum) now on the other hand if he was to ask for it back because the moderator closed out his forum , or moved it , or deleted it and he got a reply like I for one gotten once from you and wayne h then I would not blame him for wanting to go and wanting his money back! cause loumaag you guys have been in this hobby for years and for you guys to treat people the way you guys do somtimes doesn't make since some of the people here dont know nothing about the wiki forum or looking things up right thats why they ask the dumb questions they do , heck i remember when I first started here I was like were in the heck do I find the codes for my scanner and then it was like later on I found out they was called frequency's and I got to admit loumaag you guys did beat me down untill I finally got it then it was my grammer , spelling , just stuiped little things like that.
Now these are some of the things I am talking about and the way I feel about it is I think you guys that are moderators should be better role models to the new guys and help them out better than you guys do and maybe just maybe lindsay may not get stuff like he got now loumagg I dont want to start nothing with you far as making people think you are a bad person cause you are not a bad person im just tring to help out ,and trust me you are not the only one who does this.
So what I am tring to get at this is the type of stuff thats gives radio reference a bad name and makes other people want there money back. JMO

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Uh what? (in response to lugoffman)

After another couple reads (and Lindsay's post which lent me a hint) I get the impression you're grieving about some perceived crime perpetrated against you in the forums. First of all, as Lindsay says quite clearly, this site is about the database, not the forums. You don't pay for access to the forums, or to be able to post without fear of getting moderated; you pay to get extra features on the database service, like downloading frequencies/talkgroups/systems into a piece of software, or generating PDF reports. All the rest of the stuff on the site - looking up frequencies for your area, or a state you plan to travel through next month on vacation, etc., is free. Just click on the Database link at the top of the page, then navigate to the state or country you want, and you'll soon be laughing.

Advice for all those who get uptight when a moderator hands down judgement on one of their posts or threads (not "forums", which is the software that contains your posts and threads): Read and abide by the rules and this problem will go away.

Last edited:

kc2iyh

You know, there are many many times that I just bite my tongue and suck it up when I have to deal with aboslute terrible customers on this site, but I wanted you guys to see some of the crappy stuff that I have to put up with.

Check out this email that I got today from a "new" user of the site

Name removed to keep his privacy, but sheesh.

He paid, then searched??? I found all the frequencies I needed before I became a member. I became a member for the easier methods to download them and to support the site. What a moron.

mciupa

You know ,all of us when we accepted membership to this site, agreed to the Terms and Conditions. How many people have read agreement ?

I thought I might point out a key point

Particularly point # 12

12. INDEMNITY; DISCLAIMER; LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY

EACH USER'S USE OF THE RadioReference.com SITES IS AT HIS OR HER SOLE RISK.
SPECIFICALLY, RadioReference.com MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT (i) THE RadioReference.com SITES OR ANY SERVICE THEREON WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS

I guess when you are the "world's largest communication reference" you become a "world's largest target for shysters".

It's too bad we had to be exposed to the underbelly of the membership, but it shows the variety of human nature out there. :(

lugoffman

I have another thing to say....

this site is Not about the forums.

YOU are right its not about the forums forgive me for being wrong I am a man and I will say I am sorry for putting my two cents in , yes I will admit that there is some people that try to take advantage of your service here .
But on the other hand this sight is free and should not be handled the way it does sometimes here. I would under stand if it was a mandatory paid sight and all , but for that being said I don't want to hi jack a thread and I will leave it at that and start a thread about it but I am sure if I was to do that it would be closed.

So sorry for the trouble

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I am going to make a few comments here then I think (unless really provoked) I will stand on the side in this thread:
  • I, and the other moderators, have probably the most thankless job of any of the staff here. Indeed the 3 of us who Lindsay named "super moderators" are vilified on a daily basis in these and other forums for our actions here. For the effort we put in, we are occasionally thanked in public by some of the members and often get PM's agreeing with some action taken. So why do we do it? We do it because someone has to, and Lindsay has identified those people he trusts to follow his directives and guidance in doing what he does not have the time to do himself.
  • Lindsay has said over and over, "no one likes to be moderated"; that is the watch-phrase used by all the moderators when taking any action. If your thread was moved, then you posted it in the wrong place to begin with; if your post was deleted, some explanation was given; if you feel you are being targeted or "picked on", your not. Any action taken is the same action taken in almost every instance where the moderators are aware of the problem to begin with.
  • As Lindsay so eloquently put it, this site is not about the forums. Indeed the forums have now taken an entirely too big "life of their own". Several of us would like to see them pared down to a more manageable level, we would like to see the activity drop in the forums; however, we also realize that a community must communicate, or there is no community. This presents a dichotomy, the forums have grown to the point where people coming to the site think that the database is an add on; which is exactly the opposite of the fact. We realize that the forums attract people as a place to exchange ideas and to discuss issues; however, it also attracts people that are small minded, foul mouthed, racists, whiners, complainers, spammers, and so on. Those are the people, who in one way or another get most of the moderators' attention. If you fit in one (or more) of those categories, expect to hear from us a lot.
  • [frustration]From a personal perspective, I enjoy reading the forums, but I enjoy more working on the database. Both of those activities come from an internal desire to help others enjoy this hobby. I have been monitoring (I say monitoring because when I started scanners had not yet been developed) for longer than I can remember. Helping organize and update an online database that can provide information to others (free of charge) is a resource that is just under-appreciated by those complainers. I can't express how much I am disappointed when I read some whiner here in the forums complain about some little detail that he/she thinks is not correct; Lindsay has been doing this in one fashion or another since the early 90's. Several of us (the staff) have been with him since then or shortly after, my very first contribution was in 1997 when it was still the Southeast Trunking Radio Page (or something like that). Can you imagine what it feels like when some guy who discovered scanning last year says we don't know what we are talking about?[/frustration]

lugoffman

I am going to make a few comments here then I think (unless really provoked) I will stand on the side in this thread:
  • I, and the other moderators, have probably the most thankless job of any of the staff here. Indeed the 3 of us who Lindsay named "super moderators" are vilified on a daily basis in these and other forums for our actions here. For the effort we put in, we are occasionally thanked in public by some of the members and often get PM's agreeing with some action taken. So why do we do it? We do it because someone has to, and Lindsay has identified those people he trusts to follow his directives and guidance in doing what he does not have the time to do himself.
  • Lindsay has said over and over, "no one likes to be moderated"; that is the watch-phrase used by all the moderators when taking any action. If your thread was moved, then you posted it in the wrong place to begin with; if your post was deleted, some explanation was given; if you feel you are being targeted or "picked on", your not. Any action taken is the same action taken in almost every instance where the moderators are aware of the problem to begin with.
  • As Lindsay so eloquently put it, this site is not about the forums. Indeed the forums have now taken an entirely too big "life of their own". Several of us would like to see them pared down to a more manageable level, we would like to see the activity drop in the forums; however, we also realize that a community must communicate, or there is no community. This presents a dichotomy, the forums have grown to the point where people coming to the site think that the database is an add on; which is exactly the opposite of the fact. We realize that the forums attract people as a place to exchange ideas and to discuss issues; however, it also attracts people that are small minded, foul mouthed, racists, whiners, complainers, spammers, and so on. Those are the people, who in one way or another get most of the moderators' attention. If you fit in one (or more) of those categories, expect to hear from us a lot.
  • [frustration]From a personal perspective, I enjoy reading the forums, but I enjoy more working on the database. Both of those activities come from an internal desire to help others enjoy this hobby. I have been monitoring (I say monitoring because when I started scanners had not yet been developed) for longer than I can remember. Helping organize and update an online database that can provide information to others (free of charge) is a resource that is just under-appreciated by those complainers. I can't express how much I am disappointed when I read some whiner here in the forums complain about some little detail that he/she thinks is not correct; Lindsay has been doing this in one fashion or another since the early 90's. Several of us (the staff) have been with him since then or shortly after, my very first contribution was in 1997 when it was still the Southeast Trunking Radio Page (or something like that). Can you imagine what it feels like when some guy who discovered scanning last year says we don't know what we are talking about?[/frustration]

Hey loumaag no harm done here. I see your point now, but there is some things I would like to ask you if you dont mind maybe on a different thread or a quick pm perhaps ?

Thayne

Right on, Lou.
Now I feel terrible because one time I referred to you as "Wizened" I looked it up and the meaning was not what I intended; I am sorry.

Another thing I think most of us don't think about is that we all should be grateful for what we have here.
I have learned from growing older that some things can only come about with the right timing, and the varying motives that are always present for anything to come to fruition. It has to be the right recipe, for if only profit or just altruism in filling a need, it never lasts.
It will be tough to keep this going because over a period of time if new blood with the right motives and dedication are not forthcoming, it will peter out like most websites eventually do.

(Because we all will either be dead or wizened) :)

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Another thing I think most of us don't think about is that we all should be grateful for what we have here. I have learned from growing older that some things can only come about with the right timing, and the varying motives that are always present for anything to come to fruition.

Amen to this Thayne. Can you imagine how hard it would be to search throught the FCC licenses for a known frequency or antenna site? Now that I have RR I don't have to deal with the mess that is the FCC website. RR makes it SO easy and I'm sorry that some people (obviously lacking some marbles), can;t even find a frequency here.

To the mods- ya'll do an awesome job and I'll say sorry for all of us "forum-ers" who might have detracted from the database- but everyone that is a regular knows that the DB is what we come for. If we hadn't been searching for a frequency in the first place then we never would have been led to RR, if we hadn't have found the freq here wer wouldn't have come back. I think the true testament to this site is that it is one of the most professionally conducted, well kept/moderated site. The reason I think we have so many members is because this site is the best "radio reference."

CCHLLM

I came here first because of the database and had absolutely no problem finding it. After all, I can spell, and that keyword "database" indicates that something is behind the word as soon as you mouse over it. For me, that's 'nuff said 'cause I've used a computer before.

Anyway, I, too, and my 40 years of two way radio tech and management work have been vilified more than a few times here by people who have ten minutes listening to a scanner and aren't really looking for advice. They want us to validate some cockamamie idea(s) they've already decided to try or have already done, and when they don't get that validation, they want to call for our heads. Well, I've been on the planet 61+ years, so there's nothing you can call me in a post or an email or a PM that ain't already been said, and I've gotten myself an internet forum and blog proof suit for just such occasions.

Point is, nothing that's happened so far for me has a damn thing to do with the administration of the site. I ain't dissatisfied with a thing, I support the mods, and I hope this site continues for a l-l-o-o-n-n-g-g time.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I just want to say that the sound of "blog proof suit" invokes images of the hazmat courses I took years ago. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.