Cuyahoga Falls/Summit County 700mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotorolaDave

Hello everyone!

I am new to Radio Reference, but not new to scanning. I lived in Summit County up until 3 years ago when I moved. I am now back here and have a question that I have not found an answer to in this forum.

Cuyahoga Falls, Akron, and Summit County have recently had their applications granted by the FCC for 700mhz frequencies. I see mention of that here in this forum, but I don't see an explanation of what the frequencies will be used for. In a copy of the EMA Minutes, there is mention that the frequencies will be added to the interoperability template. Does this mean they are a part of rebanding, or that they might be used for MAC channels? Should these be added as possible control channels for the Summit County System?

Also, in a different Minutes publication, it refers to Cuyahoga Falls using them as tactical channels. Any idea what this means?

Finally, over the last few weeks Cuyahoga Falls Police and Fire supervisors have been asking lower ranking officers if they have had their radios reprogrammed. I was wondering if this has something to do with the new 700mhz frequencies as I haven't noticed any change in the talkgroup ID's.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

kf8yk

They are all licensed for portable/mobile use only or mobile repeater use, most likely to be used for low power simplex type communications, low power vehicular extenders, or 'suitcase' portable repeaters

They are all part of the frequencies initially set aside for any agency in Summit County in the Region 33 700 MHz plan, it's possible they just wanted to get them licensed before some other agency requested them.

ULS License - Conventional Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQOK764 - SUMMIT, COUNTY OF

ULS License - Conventional Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQOL775 - AKRON, CITY OF

ULS License - Conventional Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQOP673 - CUYAHOGA FALLS, CITY OF

MotorolaDave

They are all licensed for portable/mobile use only or mobile repeater use, most likely to be used for low power simplex type communications, low power vehicular extenders, or 'suitcase' portable repeaters

They are all part of the frequencies initially set aside for any agency in Summit County in the Region 33 700 MHz plan, it's possible they just wanted to get them licensed before some other agency requested them.

Thanks for that info! I do have just a few follow-up questions.

With them being licensed just for the portable/mobile and mobile repeater use that would make sense. When a fire occurs here in Cuyahoga Falls the shift commander will often tell all responding units to switch to a repeater that is installed in many different fire department vehicles. This normally occurs when they are using a MAC channel.

So, if the above scenario were the case, would I have to be in range of the mobile repeater to receive radio traffic, or is that somehow patched through the county 800 system?

Also, is it possible that these frequencies could later become part of some repeater system?

Finally, when I program these frequencies into my scanner, it sounds like I should put them in as conventional frequencies, not as a trunking system. Is that correct?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.