C'ville bomb scare thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

Big monitoring day yesterday as this unfolded. My wife works next door to this building and they had everyone move to the opposite end for most of the day.

Police Investigate Bomb Threat at UVA's Fontaine Research Park - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

City, county, and University units responded, the building is part of UVA medical. Most operations were on Alb PD SA3 and SA4. VSP moved routine traffic to APP3 and APP2 was used for units responding. And yes, Bearden analog 159.135 was simulcasting APP2 the whole time.

By early afternoon, VSP spent considerable time getting the patch to work, which eventually seemed successful, between VSP dispatch and Albemarle. Then it seemed like they really didn't use it.

During the third sweep of the building when they had the bomb dogs operating, the comms became very military. Transmissions were short and direct, and many references were made to civilians and friendlies. There were teams from VSP and local tactical units and my wife reported "guys in fatigues with big guns".

After the building was secured and re-opened, the VSP APC and other units headed up Rt29 to another incident which was a man holed up in a motel room, I believe near Fredericksburg. They were having a nice chat on tg32 on Bearden and Fork Mtn all the way to Culpeper when they got called off. They were talking about all kinds of things, including the codes for the gas pumps at a VDOT yard, and where they were going to stop to eat. I probably listened for a good 30-40 minutes.

Well, thankfully there were no injuries. There were some anxious wheelchair patients stuck on the second floor for a while because the elevators were out due to the fire alarm having been activated. The initial suspect was located and cleared and the now-unknown suspect is still at large. An exciting day in our little burg!

kc4jgc

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-T459/T459UVIA1 NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

UVA wasn't the only school dealing with a threat that day. Hampton University was also dealing with one. I believe there were more. I was stuck in Richmond that day so I missed the excitement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.