Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
New talkgroups/ID'ed as of: 2017-08-19

0001002.....ACSO 3.....Amherst County Sheriff.....Active
0001003.....ACSO 4.....Amherst County Sheriff.....Active

0001103.....OPS-3.....Amherst County Fire & EMS.....On-scene fire operations 3
0001104.....OPS-4.....Amherst County Fire & EMS.....On-scene fire operations 4

0001111.....A/VFD.....Amherst County Fire & EMS.....Paging for Amherst Fire
0001112.....A/RESQ.....Amherst County Fire & EMS.....Paging for Amherst Rescue
0001117.....M/RESQ.....Amherst County Fire & EMS.....Paging for Monelison Rescue

0002019.....VICE_2.....Bedford County Sheriff.....Vice-2

0002113.....F/E Co 3.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Company #3 - Boonsboro Fire*.....Fire Company Private
0002120.....F/E Co 10.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Company #10 - Saunders Fire*.....Fire Company Private
0002121.....F/E Co 11.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Company #11 - Smith Mountain Lake Marina*.....Fire Company Private
0002122.....F/E Co 12.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Company #12 - Hardy Fire*.....Fire Company Private

0002141.....EMS SQ01.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Squad #1 - Bedford Life Saving*.....Rescue Squad Private
0002143.....EMS SQ03.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Squad #3 - Boonsboro Rescue*.....Rescue Squad Private
0002144.....EMS SQ04.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Squad #4 - Chamblisburg Rescue*.....Rescue Squad Private
0002145.....EMS SQ05.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Squad #5 - Campbell County Rescue*.....Rescue Squad Private
0002146.....EMS SQ06.....Bedford County Fire & Rescue: Squad #6 - Goode Rescue*.....Rescue Squad Private

0003006.....PD6.....City of Lynchburg Police Department.....6
0003007.....PD7.....City of Lynchburg Police Department.....7
0003008.....PD8.....City of Lynchburg Police Department.....8

0003020.....SO MAIN.....City of Lynchburg Sheriffs Department.....SHERIFF MAIN
0003021.....SO COURT.....City of Lynchburg Sheriffs Department.....SHERIFF COURT
0003022.....SOCONFER.....City of Lynchburg Sheriffs Department.....SHERIFF CONFERENCE
0003023.....SO SUPV.....City of Lynchburg Sheriffs Department.....SHERIFF SUPERVISOR

0003101.....LFD GRN-1.....City of Lynchburg Fire & EMS.....Fireground - 1
0003102.....LFG GRN-2.....City of Lynchburg Fire & EMS.....Fireground - 2

0005541.....L WSTWTR.....Lynchburg Waste Water Department.....Operations

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Odd observations...

I have observed a lot of strange things with the new system.

Two most common things:

#1 Multiple radios with the same LID number programmed into them. Usually Police mobile radios.

#2 The AGC level on the radio’s microphone not set correctly. The standard selection is 0 dB (portables) or 12 dB (mobiles). Hear lots of radios, again usually mobiles that it is set to 0 dB. Audio not as clear, and doesn't have the 'punch' it should.

N4VGW

I have noticed the audio fluctuations as well---I thought there was something wrong with my G5---
One minute the audio is fine ---then the next I can barely hear it--
I find myself having to constantly adjust levels --good to know there's nothing wrong on my end--
STARS and Campbell County is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drumbum

The Amherst talkgroups are explosively loud especially dispatch and the LU ,LPD, and a couple others are very thin and less audible

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Groups flipping to Phase-2

Heads-up to anyone with the ability to distinguish between Phase-1 (FMDA) and Phase-2 (TDMA) talkgroups.

Now that the big job of getting everyone onto the system is >95% done, now you might observe a few talkgroups 'flip' over to Phase-2.

For folks with Unitrunker or other monitors which display time-slots, any changes you might notice, please post them to this thread.

...I have programmed up a second radio at the house, and disabled the Phase-2 function.
Running the two radios in parallel, I can tell of one of them is not receiving a Phase-2 group call by it being mute.
Low tech, but an easy way to tell what is going on without having to watch the display while I am working on other tasks.

Thank you in advance.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Noticed an interesting change yesterday while driving home from Lynchburg...

Gotten back in my truck, and its radio was on Amherst County, but my HT was on Lynchburg.

One of LFD's Medic units was calling the Hospital with patient information. It was heard only on Lynchburg, and not (wide area call forced) to Bedford and Amherst.

If an Amherst Unit was calling the Hospital (on the Amherst system), the conversation was heard on both Amherst and Lynchburg (because the Hosptial ER's base radio is on Lynchburg).

So, from the above it appears that for a call to be passed onto a different system, a user radio must be selected onto that system and talkgroup. This is normal P-25 operation for talkgroups which are not designated as WIDE AREA, and therefore forced to all sites whether or not anyone is actually selected-up ont that RF Site and talkgroup.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
New and updated CVRCS-25 talkgroups, as of: 2017-09-01

New and updated CVRCS-25 talkgroups, as of: 2017-09-01

TALKGROUP ID...ALPHA........Agency..................................................DESCRIPTION / COMMENTS
0002204........L_PUB WORK...Town of Bedford.........................................Public Works Department

0003031........L_MUTUAL-1...City of Lynchburg.......................................City Mutual Aid - 1
0003032........L_MUTUAL-2...City of Lynchburg.......................................City Mutual Aid - 2
0003300........AIRPORT-2....City of Lynchburg Public Works : Airport................Lynchburg Regional Airport Operations #2
0003301........AIRPORT-1....City of Lynchburg Public Works : Airport................Lynchburg Regional Airport Operations #1
0003303........L_B+G........City of Lynchburg Public Works : Buildings & Grounds...Active
0003305........L_REFUSE.....City of Lynchburg Public Works : Trash Collection .....Active
0003306........L_STREETS....City of Lynchburg Public Works : Street Department......Active
0003309........L_FLAGGERS...City of Lynchburg Public Works : Traffic Department.....FLAGGERS
0003310........L_PW-1.......City of Lynchburg Public Works..........................Public Works - 1
0003311........L_PW-2.......City of Lynchburg Public Works..........................Public Works - 2
0005520........L_WMF........Region 2000 Services Authority..........................Waste Management Facility (Landfill Operations)
0005532........GLTC-2.......Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (GLTC)................CHANNEL 2
0005540........L_WATER......Lynchburg Water Resources...............................Operations (Water Department)
0005541........L_WSTWTR.....Lynchburg Waste Water Department........................Operations
0005542........L_UTIL.......Lynchburg Utilities.....................................Operations
0005555........CVCC PD......Central Virginia Community College......................Security Operations (1300 SERIES UNITS)

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
After talking with Amherst firefighters, it amazes me that they aren't issues pagers but instead digital walkies! I would think pagers and text messaging on cell phones would be more cost effective. Maybe not?

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
In talking with the Amherst fd volunteers, there should be an ops 2 talkgroup on the system. I guess they haven't keyed it up on the system for us to know what it is yet.

N4VGW

Amherst Ops-2 Is Talk Group 1102

They are doing Paging to Fire And Rescue Thru Their Digital radios more then likely due to the older pagers being analog. Instead of issuing newer pagers I would imagine that since they already have the capable hardware in the radios-its cost effective.

1111-Paging for Amherst Fire
1112-Paging for Amherst Rescue
1117-Paging for Monelison Rescue

Also I have Talk Group 1115 they use as well for paging.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
In talking with the Amherst fd volunteers, there should be an ops 2 talkgroup on the system. I guess they haven't keyed it up on the system for us to know what it is yet.

0001100 FD DISP
0001101 OPS-1
0001102 OPS-2
0001103 OPS-3
0001104 OPS-4

BTW: OPS-4 was used weekend before last at a fundraiser/cookout.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Don't forget Amherst County still has a VHF-Highband repeater atop Tobacco Row Mountain for paging and backup comms:

KNAG560
155.520 out (192.8 Hz)
156.090 in (192.8 Hz)

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KNAG560 - AMHERST, COUNTY OF - Frequencies Summary

When you hear Fire or EMS get dispatched, notice there are paging tones transmitted too?
The stations still have decode receivers and individuals are still carrying pagers.

Amherst County Dispatch Fire/EMS Paging Tones

Amherst Fire 349.0Hz / 368.5Hz
Amherst Rescue 600.9Hz / 569.1Hz
Monelison Fire 669.9Hz / 928.1Hz
Monelison Rescue 349.0Hz / 1063.2Hz
Pedlar Fire & Rescue 600.9Hz / 634.5Hz

kb4cvn

Silent Key
New ID'ed Groups 2017-09-06

Newly identified today:

1113..."A RES/Q"...Amherst County Fire & EMS : Amherst Life Saving Crew..............Amherst Rescue - QUIET (Paging RX Only)

1115..."M VFD/Q"...Amherst County Fire & EMS : Monelison Volunteer Fire Department...Monelison Fire - QUIET (Paging RX Only)

1117..."M RES/Q"...Amherst County Fire & EMS : Monelison Volunteer Rescue Squad......Monelison Rescue - QUIET (Paging RX Only)

Slowly the new P-25 groups which replaced the older established EDACS groups are being identified.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
New talkgroups/ID'ed as of: 2017-09-11

NEW TALKGROUPS:

3103...FD GRN-3...City of Lynchburg Fire & EMS...Fireground - 3

3104...FD GRN-4...City of Lynchburg Fire & EMS...Fireground - 4

5533...GLTC-EVT...Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (GLTC)...Special Events

5574...LU PD 2...Liberty University...Police Department - 2

NAME/DESIGNATION UPDATE:

5534...GLTC-PTS...Greater Lynchburg Transit Company (GLTC)..."Paratransport Service"

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Amherst County Deputy was shot

Last night around 23:30, an Amherst County Deputy was shot in the head during a traffic stop at the Monroe Post Office (on Hwy-29 business).

The unnamed Deputy will survive, was in Lynchburg General Hospital, and has since been released.

Shooter was shot by a second Deputy, and is also in Lynchburg General Hospital.

VSP is investigating the incident.

Apparently three of the four of the major TV stations in the area were unaware of the incident until after 09:00 Saturday morning. ( ...could they not be listening to the new P-25 system? )

WDBJ 7
Amherst Co. Deputy shot while conducting a traffic stop

WSLS 10
https://www.wsls.com/news/amherst-county-sheriff-s-deputy-shot-during-traffic-stop

WSET 13
Sheriff's Office: Amherst Co. deputy shot in head during traffic stop | WSET

The forth, WFXR (Channel 21) as of 17:00 Saturday still wasn't reporting the shooting....

Dieseldudeva

Unication

So...After pulling my hair out as did Lee and I am sure others as well with the Simulcast distortion-i am finally able to relax and sip my coffee again and enjoy the hobby. I went thru 3 new scanners-Whistler variety and had huge issues at home with reception. I went thru 6 antennas-numerous relocations on the roof-new LMR coax.etc...and the only site I could hear reasonably was Amherst. And although pretty good on the decode there would be times of the day it would distort a bit. Mobile operation was spotty as well. Certain areas the scanners worked well...then a block later nothing. I then began looking at other options---Dedicated P25 HT/Mobile. Only problem would be the programming and Site Non Affiliation. Also as the P25 TGID get updated I would have to have the radio constantly reprogrammed. I then stumbled on the "Unification" thread in these forums. This is a P25 radio/pager that's designed for EMS/Fire/Public Safety.
Since I just plucked cash down for 3 new digital scanners (which my wife gave me funny looks for) I was a little hesitant at getting one right now. After Putting up the 6th antenna on a hot day on the roof-and finding worse results on the scanner-(this was a bigger Yagi) that was the breaking point. So last weekend I ended up ordering a Unification G5 dual band VHF/700/800 MHZ radio. I never had any hands on with one so I didn't know what to expect-except for the reviews.It came in yesterday and after I programmed It I was absolutely floored with the performance.I'm hearing everything again. With its STOCK antenna. I am still learning its tricks and yes it does have a few limitations as its designed as a professional pager-I've gotten around some of them with some programming. With the Whistler scanners I never ever heard a peep from Bedford with a stock antenna-The unification-hears it just fine-and we are at 100% decode-No simulcast distortion at all.
Mark---TGID 3016 seems to be Lynchburg Regional Juvenile Detention Center- not 100% but I will monitor it more and confirm.
Time for coffee...................

I am considering buying a Unication after poor decodes with the Uniden 436 on this system. Are you still happy with the G5? Can you pick up Lynchburg, Amherst, and Bedford reliably from one location?

N4VGW

I am considering buying a Unication after poor decodes with the Uniden 436 on this system. Are you still happy with the G5? Can you pick up Lynchburg, Amherst, and Bedford reliably from one location?

Very Happy--G5 works flawlessly in mobile use and in stationary-I have all three systems broken down in agency as well as a general scan mode. I don't even use the Whistler anymore except on STARS and Campbell County which is analog VHF. And with the Phase 2 update right around the corner its a no brainer.
Parked on the Lynchburg System at home and while mobile I hear traffic from both Amherst and Bedford with no issues. When I go to Bedford I just switch to their system -But I sometimes just forget and it receives just fine.
You won't be disappointed..

Status
Not open for further replies.