Cy-Fair VFD Off-Duty Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I work with Cy-Fair VFD.

We use those badass Motorola ATX-7000 radios in the trucks. Love 'em.

But we're also issued little Kenwood handheld radios for when we're just hanging around the station or on-call (or in your POV, etc). They're usually second or third hand, and it seems like they barely hold a charge. I'm not a fan .

I've been trying to find something with a handheld mic that I can use as a replacement so that I don't have to pull the thing off my hip every time I have something to say. I noticed these for sale:

http://elightbars.org/forums/topic/60374-motorola-xts1500-15-uhf-450-520/

http://elightbars.org/forums/topic/60333-motorola-ht1250-uhf-450-512mhz/

and while the general frequency looks right, I don't know about anything else. I don't claim to know anything about radio operations....could I replace my Kenwood with this thing? What would be involved in the setup?

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Which Kenwood models are you carrying?

The batteries are worn out and need to be replaced, from the sounds of things, and that happens with any brand.

Sent via Tapatalk

Which Kenwood models are you carrying?

The batteries are worn out and need to be replaced, from the sounds of things, and that happens with any brand.

Sent via Tapatalk

I'll have to check the model number when I get home. And yeah, I know they probably just need new batteries, but I don't like spending money on stuff that's not mine...so I'd rather just get my own radio with a remote speaker mic that works better for me.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Have you tried asking the communications people for a new battery?

Doesn't hurt to try. If they are officially issuing these radios they probably support them also,

Have you tried asking the communications people for a new battery?

Doesn't hurt to try. If they are officially issuing these radios they probably support them also,

Not yet. Honestly, I don't really care if the Kenwood works or not, it's just inconvenient to have a hip mounted radio with no remote mic.

I know that radio will receive the generic UHF signals, but I think the radios in the truck actually use some sort of code to let them know who is talking...I don't know if the Kenwoods are set up that way as well, but I'd like for the radio I buy to be capable of that if that's the case. So that's what I'm trying to figure out...if the radios I linked above can do that.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
I would still HIGHLY suggest you get in contact with the communications people at CFVFD.

They can advise what options a radio would need to be fully functional on their system(s). Plus you would need their approval if you plan on transmitting on it.

I would still HIGHLY suggest you get in contact with the communications people at CFVFD.

They can advise what options a radio would need to be fully functional on their system(s). Plus you would need their approval if you plan on transmitting on it.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I'll check back in with their feedback and let you know!

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure they're using APX radios on the apparatus and not, say, Harris XG-75Ps? I heard a rumor (albeit a dirty, unsubstantiated one) late last year that they inked a deal for a Harris 700 system. No new 700 licenses or press releases have surfaced since, though, and a major coup like that would garner a lot of press.

Either way, any well-run department usually frowns on members going out and buying their own radio equipment. Your life or the safety of the public may depend on that radio one day. Would you go out and buy your own Scott SCBAs or used bunker gear off of Ebay?

precoislen

But we're also issued little Kenwood handheld radios for when we're just hanging around the station or on-call (or in your POV, etc). They're usually second or third hand, and it seems like they barely hold a charge. I'm not a fan .

Couple of options:

Charge your radio more frequently (nightly) or use the multi-chargers when your at the station and the radio is not in use.....

If battery is still not holding up, then put in a maintenance request to get a replacement battery......

I've been trying to find something with a handheld mic that I can use as a replacement so that I don't have to pull the thing off my hip every time I have something to say. I noticed these for sale:

[FOR SALE] Motorola UHF P25 Radios - For Sale or Trade: Non-warning Public Safety Equipment - eLightbars

[FOR SALE] Motorola HT1250 UHF 450-512MHz - For Sale or Trade: Non-warning Public Safety Equipment - eLightbars

and while the general frequency looks right, I don't know about anything else. I don't claim to know anything about radio operations....could I replace my Kenwood with this thing? What would be involved in the setup?

Talk to the communications division. The radio techs can help you make an informed decision on what is best to buy if you decide to buy your own personal radio and whether the CFVFD system will support that particular radio. Those guys can probably help support programming that radio also.

Might also want to chat with your station Capt. for his approval before doing any of the above........there is an SOG relative to this approval process..........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.