Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department... Confirmed LCN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Am i unable to hear these channels because there are no talkgroups set up?

Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department Trunking System, Houston, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

I am pretty new to scanning, just got a BCD396XT so I've tried to familiarized myself with it over the past day or two. Just wondering why I am unable to get this to come in?

Thanks in advance!
If I'm reading the Harris County database page correctly, it's indicating that Cy-Fair might use that LTR system as a backup, with primary operations on their conventional frequencies listed on the Harris Co. page. They also have a few talkgroups on the analog TxWARN system, but those are noted that Cy-Fair mainly uses 450MHz. That would likely refer to the conventional frequencies mentioned above.

For the LTR system, be sure that you have the frequencies entered in the correct LCN positions. Since you're a premium subscriber, if you imported it with FreeScan or ARC-XT, or ProScan, the software will do that for you. Then, set your system option to "ID Search" instead of 'ID Scan'. That will pick up any active talkgroup in use. If & when you start to see talkgroups active on the system, try to listen & determine what each one is. Dispatch? Fireground? A talk-around channel? As you get a feel for what the use is, enter the text tags showing up via your software, and add a text tag to indicate the usage. Be sure & submit your finds to the database.

N5AMS

the other reason you will not hear the LTR system is because of voice inversion all you will hear is scrambled of the voice but there is activity but its all voice inverted also i see that you have a bcd396xt i have a program setup for everything in houston or i can put together something for what you want to listen to and email it to you in a zip with the freescan program just PM or email me

Last edited:

jaw03

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys for the replies. I added the Fire/EMS talkgroup for cy-fair VFD and the others who fall under that category. When i tune into either one of the channels i just hear silence. In the past you would hear random beeps all the time, followed by long beeps right before a call is dispatched. Did I do something wrong?

N5AMS

Ok by long and short beeps are you talking about pager tones before the call is dispatched?

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
The LTR system is only used by admin staff and the radio techs, and then only rarely. 99% of their comms are on the conventional analog channels.

Cy-Fair VFD is probably one of the most radio'd fire departments in the entire state. They have:
-UHF analog conventional
-UHF conventional P25 (one channel, testing only, not used for regular ops)
-UHF LTR (admin and techs use only)
-Talkgroups on TxWARN Analog (never used, only a handful of Motorola 800 radios in the department)
-Talkgroups on Montgomery County EDACS (analog and ProVoice)(never used, only a couple of techs have EDACS radios)
-Talkgroups on Houston ISD EDACS (analog and ProVoice)(see above)
-On top of all that, there was discussion of reviving lowband for a last-resort station alerting system but it never came to fruition.

jaw03

Premium Subscriber
A big thank you to everyone who chimed in on this thread. I got it working finally on analog. I was thinking they used the LTR system. I'm still getting acquainted with the terminology, along with my scanner. I Don't know what I would do without this site, and freescan.

Status
Not open for further replies.