D.C Reporters Fight Police Radio Encryption Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFire11

The feeds certainly have contributed to the decision. The officials have already eluded to that.
Are they the only factor? Absolutely not! But there comes a point when all of the contributing factors have to be dealt with.

I definitely have to agree here, and would probably go to the extent to say that the feeds are one of the top reasons for encryption. It is just too easy for people that are up to no good to access live police radio. But of course, the feeds are interesting to listen to also.

jets1961

I think all feed should be shut down

I think all feeds should be shutdown... Now let me qualify that, all Canadian feeds should be shut down as it is unlawful to do it. It is true that the radio act prohibits rebroadcasting.

But the real reason I say this is the LE agency are using streams as there reason to encrypt. The WPS in Winnipeg MB Canada recently encrypted even dispatch calls. Some connected to the police service claim it was the feeds and iPhone apps that was the reason.

I personalty think they (WPS) may have encouraged "someone" to run a feed and iPhone app so they would have an excuse to encrypt. Ya I know conspiracy theory, but you never know. It is in the realm of thing that could happen ;)

Joe

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I think all feeds should be shutdown... Now let me qualify that, all Canadian feeds should be shut down as it is unlawful to do it. It is true that the radio act prohibits rebroadcasting.

All, or all Canadian? Those are very different sets. And of course you read the post a few weeks ago from the Canadian government saying it's not illegal?

But the real reason I say this is the LE agency are using streams as there reason to encrypt. The WPS in Winnipeg MB Canada recently encrypted even dispatch calls. Some connected to the police service claim it was the feeds and iPhone apps that was the reason.

So they are using streams as their reason, or you hear that some say they are? Two different stories.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Two notes just for clarity...

The flavor of encryption that DC is using, does not come $free on the radio.

All radio calls are not recorded - that depends on department and system manager.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
This post has taken on a life of it's own, and has nothing to do with what the DC papers/press are doing about the encryption problem, please stick with the subject. Take your pro and con encryption to another post, there really are enough of them already. I really want to see what the papers can do, other than possibly start a lot of stories and editorials catching DC government employees in compromising positions. That's some thing I would buy a paper for.

NCFire11

This post has taken on a life of it's own, and has nothing to do with what the DC papers/press are doing about the encryption problem, please stick with the subject. Take your pro and con encryption to another post, there really are enough of them already. I really want to see what the papers can do, other than possibly start a lot of stories and editorials catching DC government employees in compromising positions. That's some thing I would buy a paper for.

The encryption topic does apply everywhere, not just DC. Its really a world wide issue. Perhaps it needs a thread on its own.

-------------

A solution is to perhaps only delay LE feeds? The only problem, a lot of feeds have LE, EMS, and fire on the same feed.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Yes the topic applies everywhere,but this post is about DC and their press, there are more than enough encryption topics out there already. If that's what you want to talk about, please use them, but I don't want to have to wade through pages of posts about encryption when I want to read to how the DC press is going to handle this issue.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Yes the topic applies everywhere,but this post is about DC and their press, there are more than enough encryption topics out there already. If that's what you want to talk about, please use them, but I don't want to have to wade through pages of posts about encryption when I want to read to how the DC press is going to handle this issue.

Not sure that RR is the place for you to do that.....discussion forums are designed to promote discussion, which usually leads to issues that aren't strictly related to the original post, but do have germane points. If you want to see "how the DC press is going to handle this issue", I suggest you go to the DC news media's various websites and follow their progress there, as opposed to relying on a website owned by someone who is not in DC, providing the forums as entertainment for his customers worldwide.

My guess is that the media could give a rat's behind about the monitoring community as a whole, and will broker a deal to get TX inhibited radios to monitor. Their problem is solved, and they've eliminated the freelancers.

Broadcasting

Isnt it unlawful to rebroadcast any police scanner channel even in the USA?With all the dumbwit laws this is not one of them???.Take down the feeds !
What good will this website do if everything is soon encrypted?

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, I am surprised at the number of "remove the feeds" or "delay the feeds" responses here. Really didn't expect that.

OCO

My guess is that the media could give a rat's behind about the monitoring community as a whole, and will broker a deal to get TX inhibited radios to monitor. Their problem is solved, and they've eliminated the freelancers.
After the news conference a couple weeks ago, I suspect the only radios the press could get would be bricked.. :D

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
After the news conference a couple weeks ago, I suspect the only radios the press could get would be bricked.. :D

You do have a point there....<sarcasm>I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of incumbent endorsing by the media next time they're up for re-election</sarcasm>

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
MPD's claim "that feeds and listening on phones is interfering with police investigations" is looking rather unfounded at this point. I have noticed the same amount of listeners on the MPD feed as I did before the districts were encrypted. MPD left the Citywide channel in the clear and that appears to be satisfying most people. So if the feed listeners havn't changed much, that must mean their was a few if any criminals listening to take advantage, at least by phone streaming anyways.

Everyone has their view on encryption. Mine is encrypt the tactical/surveillance/investigation stuff, leave day to day dispatch in the clear. If they choose to encrypt day to day dispatch, it would be very wise of the department to use a clear channel to broadcast alerts and suspect BOLO's to the community/media listening in. A good Detective would never turn that idea down. Best to have as many ears and eyes as you can get.

Jason

NCFire11

When you find me a topic for encryption in GENERAL, I'll be glad to post on it. Meanwhile, the other users don't care to go through pages of off topic arguing.

-----------------
Now back on topic.....

A separate sort of "dispatch only" channel for major events for media or listeners seems to be a good agreement for both parties.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
MPD's claim "that feeds and listening on phones is interfering with police investigations" is looking rather unfounded at this point. I have noticed the same amount of listeners on the MPD feed as I did before the districts were encrypted. MPD left the Citywide channel in the clear and that appears to be satisfying most people. So if the feed listeners havn't changed much, that must mean their was a few if any criminals listening to take advantage, at least by phone streaming anyways.

Everyone has their view on encryption. Mine is encrypt the tactical/surveillance/investigation stuff, leave day to day dispatch in the clear. If they choose to encrypt day to day dispatch, it would be very wise of the department to use a clear channel to broadcast alerts and suspect BOLO's to the community/media listening in. A good Detective would never turn that idea down. Best to have as many ears and eyes as you can get.

Jason

This is the point that should be driven home, not the trite "because I have a right to listen" mantra. Encrypting routine DISPATCH channels/talkgroups also keeps that officer in a nearby jurisdiction who listens out while on patrol to what is going on around him/her from doing so. It also keeps the informed citizen who uses a scanner for neighborhood watch from knowing the description of the burglars who just hit the house two streets over.

Counting on PIO's and 911 centers to get the word out is not reality. PIO's only get called out on BIG incidents, and 911 centers are already understaffed and overworked to begin with, let alone putting out tweets or FB posts, media releases, et al.

At the end of the day, any closed, walled garden voice communications system HINDERS, not HELP public safety do their jobs.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Isnt it unlawful to rebroadcast any police scanner channel even in the USA?With all the dumbwit laws this is not one of them???.Take down the feeds !
What good will this website do if everything is soon encrypted?

Interesting... we just picked up another few official broadcasted feeds from a law enforcement agencies. Some law enforcement agencies see the benefits inherent in getting their general, routine law enforcement operations online for their communities. Maybe one day Metro DC police will do the same? :)

here is an example of one we received yesterday:

Attachments

• 2011_10_18_18_29_37.pdf
    180.6 KB · Views: 200

NCFire11

Encrypting routine DISPATCH channels/talkgroups also keeps that officer in a nearby jurisdiction who listens out while on patrol to what is going on around him/her from doing so.

Wouldn't that officer have interoperability anyway? I figured if they were going to need to talk to each other they would be able to listen/talk on the encrypted channels, as part of an interoperability plan. Could be wrong.

Nap

With such "media" around I would definitely want to encrypt:

How Contagious Is The British Murdoch Scandal? - Business Insider

at least the channels that could give them any useful info.

On second thought, I would also rent them a radio capable to decrypt for something like $1mil per month (fine print: promotional price valid with a 5 years plan; certain conditions and terms apply). Police budget issues solved. Plus free coffee, bagels and donuts for all officers.

And I would make sure that the rental radio doesn't decrypt all of the channels. Leaving open the possibility that I could offer "enhanced" plans with more channels at higher prices.

Muhahahahaha.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wouldn't that officer have interoperability anyway? I figured if they were going to need to talk to each other they would be able to listen/talk on the encrypted channels, as part of an interoperability plan. Could be wrong.

You wouldn't believe how many police officers carry scanners on duty to monitor what is happening in surrounding jurisdictions.

The California Highway Patrol literally purchased 100's of scanners (from GRE) for their officers so they could keep track of what is happening in their local areas of responsibility and provide assistance when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.