D.C Reporters Fight Police Radio Encryption Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

From the comments to this story:

Also thanks to Lindsey Blanton and radioreference audio feeds more and more agencies are choosing encryption. This guy says he is the number 1 scanner site but because of him he is forcing agencies to go secure and leaving real scannists and news media in the dark

W6KRU

From the comments to this story:

Also thanks to Lindsey Blanton and radioreference audio feeds more and more agencies are choosing encryption. This guy says he is the number 1 scanner site but because of him he is forcing agencies to go secure and leaving real scannists and news media in the dark

W6KRU

attacking Lindsey Blanton and the audio feeds. This is off topic, and I'll stop after this post.

Don't stone the messenger. I'm just pointing out something that some people might be interested in. My opinion is that the the feeds were up before Lindsay hosted them on this site and if they weren't here, they would be on the original site.Are they good or bad? I don't know but that dead horse has been beaten many times.

Romak3

Banned
Charge a fee for accessing the feeds and delay them 15 minutes....atleast.

SCPD

QRT
Under the new policy, the media will not be able to monitor police and dispatch chatter on radios, said police communications director Gwendolyn Crump. The media organizations were instead encouraged to sign up for a program wherein they are paged when "serious crimes" occur, she added.

Don't expect the media to go to bat for you. They can negotiate for radios with a few dispatch channels. That does not help the individual. Folks in DC should call and write Ms. Crump.

Contact information can be found here.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
I wish the media had been interested in reporting this story back in July and August. Many of us tried to warn them but the Washington Post, WTOP and others seemed disinterested at the time. Now they care but I think it is too late. Police and sheriff departments that have controversies and problems with the media are the ones who encrypt. Departments that have nothing to hide usually do not. At least it seems like that to me.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
We all see the current trend to encrypt everything and as time goes on I think we will see the vast majority of law enforcement traffic encrypted.

In the name of security our govt will take away the freedom to listen to them.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
You can blame the idiots WHO TAKE WHAT THEY HEAR AND USE IT THEMSELVES!

Showing up @ police calls,etc.........

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
The attack at Lindsay and RR was from a comment on the article, not from the article itself. I doubt the MPD Chief knows Lindsay or RR. If she did, she might know more about the hobby and the fact that there really arent as many criminals listening on iPhones and she would like everyone to believe.

We all see the current trend to encrypt everything and as time goes on I think we will see the vast majority of law enforcement traffic encrypted.

In the name of security our govt will take away the freedom to listen to them.

As you say above, this is going to happen no matter what. In addition to DC, all of the surrounding counties/agencies Police Chiefs just agreed recently to a master plan for LE encryption -- the ball is rolling!

You can blame the idiots WHO TAKE WHAT THEY HEAR AND USE IT THEMSELVES!

Showing up @ police calls,etc.........

Herein lies the problem in my opinion. What you describe above is against the law, but never enforced. Using the info for personal gain, using the info you hear for profit, repeating what you hear, and following to the scene. We probably all know someone who has violated at least one of these, but has anyone really ever heard of anyone being charged with something like this. Not many.

Romak3

Banned
The attack at Lindsay and RR was from a comment on the article, not from the article itself. I doubt the MPD Chief knows Lindsay or RR. If she did, she might know more about the hobby and the fact that there really arent as many criminals listening on iPhones and she would like everyone to believe.

globalrevolution - live streaming video powered by Livestream

peruvianlilies: NYPD SCANNER: NYPD Manhattan Precincts 1-23 and Citywide 1-3 Live Scanner Audio Feed
npercent: nypd: we have manhatten south scooter task force with us
Brawke: A lot of Anarchists just want to shoot, loot, and steal.

This is about 6th time I have seen RR on this site.

Romak3

Banned
Nope, No punks getting this feed!

Raymundo Valentin
Up to the second updates on the NYPD Scanner Feed. Share to the people on the grounds!
5 minutes ago

Maybe investing in highway bill boards will get the message out better for the bums. Or put it on McD wrappers and dope baggies.

Can't happen here, right?

Last edited:

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Don't expect the media to go to bat for you. They can negotiate for radios with a few dispatch channels. That does not help the individual. Folks in DC should call and write Ms. Crump.

Contact information can be found here.

That's what happened in Jacksonville, FL... and the SO decided to take them away. Other than some news stories, the media did not put up a fight whatsoever.

Police and sheriff departments that have controversies and problems with the media are the ones who encrypt. Departments that have nothing to hide usually do not. At least it seems like that to me.

From my experience, that is absolutely correct.

KE4RWS

It's always funny how some people always try to point the finger at the "feeds" when they hear of other agencies wanting to encrypt their comm traffic. But I've got news for you: Even if there were no feeds they'd still encypt because they don't want criminal elements hearing them either. Obviously the goal is so that NO ONE can hear them, but blaming all this *solely* on RR feeds is just ludicrous.

I can remember my room mate in the late 70's listening to his scanner to the local sheriff's office radio traffic because I later found he relied on it as a means to better coordinate his marijuana trafficking. Even back then the local sheriff knew people we're listening to their open radio traffic and was pushing for private comms for that reason alone. So this isn't anything new to law enforcement.

JoeyC

The feeds certainly have contributed to the decision. The officials have already eluded to that.
Are they the only factor? Absolutely not! But there comes a point when all of the contributing factors have to be dealt with.

JoeyC

Good Lord . . .

I'll assume that was directed at my statement above and say that its clear you've never been in a position of authority and had to deal with issues before they became a liability (or a detriment) to the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.