D/FW 396T owner contemplating a second unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I live in Arlington, TX (Dead center of Dallas and Fort Worth) and a current BCT396 owner. I am contemplating a second unit and the PSR500 and 600 are on the very short list along with either a 996 or BCT15.

I realize these are not comparing apples to apples and I am really only adding a second one in order to place a more sensitive antenna (yagi) on a rotor to pick up some more distant systems (like Plano/Collin Co/Parker/Denton). Digital is pretty much covered with my 396 so it isn't an essential piece of the equation (only digital systems in our area are both nearby and work well on the 396 with ver. 2 FW).

Thinking the BCT15 would be a fairly capable and familiar scanner to add. Then again, I am thinking that having the strengths of the GRE added to what I already have might be smarter to take advantage of the NAC, PC/IF port (for decryption of ESK) and in some cases the extra sensitivity.

I know this is a very typical question. But perhaps some owners of both (and maybe in my area), could post their opinion. This is a fairly saturated area for radio traffic and was wondering about intermod and/or the extra sensitivity being a plus or minus. I have several antennas that I use, but will primarily be using attic mounted Scantenna ST2 and Wilson Yagi 800. For portable use, the RS800 or RD9.

I like the base station form factor of the 15 and the 600, but is there any downside to choosing the 600 over the 500 other than portability?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I sincerely appreciate it.

jon_k

Digital is pretty much covered with my 396 so it isn't an essential piece of the equation (only digital systems in our area are both nearby and work well on the 396 with ver. 2 FW).

Wow. I'm unaware of any of the municipalities that use digital in our area. Arlington's trunk uses analog Motorola Type II. I've only seen a few businesses that use digital right now.

I /was/ using the BC245T close call feature in Arlington on Matlock off of I-20. I was picking something up that sounded digital of some sort. Unsure if it was digital for voice or data.

Do you think I'm missing out having not purchased a digital radio?

Unfortunately, no suggestions regarding your original post on radio choices.

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Hey Jon...

Mansfield and Grand Prairie are both P25 Digital... The audio is a LOT different provided you get a good signal. If you're not into either of those areas, I wouldn't say you're missing anything.

Thanks for responding!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You might also ask this in the dfwscan Yahoo! group. Lots of locals there.

I'd recommend the BCT15 or BCD996T, but my opinion is admittedly quite biased.

(TSA, DPS, and JRB also have P25 in the area.)

For the hit at Matlock/I20, I'd suspect paging.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Thank you...

I am considering the 15 more as I believe Uniden will come out with a 996/396 replacement sooner rather than later, and I'd prefer to wait and get the latest and greatest for my second digital unit.

Thanks again!

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: Ordered my BCT15 from Scanner Master a couple of hours ago and already got notification that it shipped. I am impressed to say the least.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll be keeping my eyes out for the next Uniden digital release.

nationwide

We were just chatting about the value of a digital scanner this afternoon on the 147.17 repeater, here in Arlington.

I recently picked up my first trunking scanner and got it figured out. I'm very happy with it, and I can't believe what I've been missing.

Last time I bought a scanner, it was $300 because it covered 800mHz!

Here's my setup, you can't see my 2m mobile on the floor (temp install in new car... getting a dual band mobile this week!)

my_mobile_setup.jpg

Last edited:

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
I recognize that APD North.. :)

I am in APD West (really South.. but no radio activity there) territory. On the border of Mansfield...so how-d neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.