D-Star Remote Routing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
A question I am trouble finding the answer to. If I am on a D-Star repeater in Arizona and I decide to route my radio through it to a distant repeater, lets say in California for example, does it pull all of the traffic off the the distant repeater into my local repeater and vice versa? Or is it merely just passing my radio through the gateway to the remote repeater? I have interest in the D-STAR Radio Scanning Net on Papa 12, listening and checking in, but was curious as to if all that Net was going to keep the D-Star system here tied up with all that traffic, or is it merely going to be just me hearing it, and again vice versa?

I don't have a D-Star rig yet but it is on the agenda and I am just trying to get some questions cleared up and I will most likely have more as I dig through this D-Star stuff.

KF5EYR

Premium Subscriber
A question I am trouble finding the answer to. If I am on a D-Star repeater in Arizona and I decide to route my radio through it to a distant repeater, lets say in California for example, does it pull all of the traffic off the the distant repeater into my local repeater and vice versa? Or is it merely just passing my radio through the gateway to the remote repeater? I have interest in the D-STAR Radio Scanning Net on Papa 12, listening and checking in, but was curious as to if all that Net was going to keep the D-Star system here tied up with all that traffic, or is it merely going to be just me hearing it, and again vice versa?

I don't have a D-Star rig yet but it is on the agenda and I am just trying to get some questions cleared up and I will most likely have more as I dig through this D-Star stuff.

In your example, when you link the Arizona repeater to the California repeater, they essentially become one repeater. All parties on both ends will hear all of the traffic on both ends, until you unlink the two repeaters.

n3zra

This question has many answers, in the one indicated if you link to the repeater then yes, if you call sign route to the repeater then only the traffic that call sign routes back to the repeater your on will come back.

With DSTAR you can call sign route to a repeater a specific person is on by routing to their call; or to the repeater in specific by putting a "/" in front of the call sign and band you want, or linking to that repeater via D Plus commands (if supported by the repeater). This also is if the owner of the repeater allows linking and the repeater is gateway connected on both ends. Most not all are gateway connected but some owners choose to not be gateway connected for one reason or another.

When linked all audio of gateway registered users will be passed by the gateway as long as the RPT 2 field has the call set and the G in the 8th place. When call sing routing each time you key up or when the station your contacting keys up with the UR field set up correctly will pass the traffic between the two repeaters, anyone who is not routing will only be heard locally.

More information is available at D-StarUsers.org Your Source for D-Star Digital Amateur Radio Information! or Home - D-STAR Info

VK5ZEA

... plus if you are using Dplus to link the two repeaters together, the users do need to be registered on the D-Star system. Dplus will not pass audio from un-registered operators.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Routing and linking on D-STAR are two separate actions.

Routing is when you put in a specific callsign for a ham or station into the URCALL. In this case, when you put in someone's callsign into the URCALL and transmit, your transmission gets routed to the D-STAR system that the callsign you entered into URCALL was last heard on. So if you put my callsign into the URCALL field, it would route to the last known D-STAR repeater I keyed up on, which would be KD0IAN B.

When you route, the target station would have to put your callsign into their URCALL field (or hit the BK button on their radio) before keying up. If they don't do this when trying to respond to your call, then their audio won't get routed to the repeater you were heard on.

Linking is when you are fully connected to a distant gateway-enabled repeater. You establish the link by entering the distant repeater's callsign and module followed by the letter "L" in the last space in the URCALL field (example: KD0IANBL would link me to the UHF side of KD0IAN). Once linked, both sides can hear the other repeater without needing to modify the URCALL field -- they can just use CQCQCQ. No need to enter anything else in the URCALL field or use the BK button to respond to a station on the distant repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.