D-Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltjweiss

D-Star? where in the database is this? on your "User CP" try to put your approximate location if you can so others my help you better, for future reference, if you could.

ltjweiss

D-Star? where in the database is this? on your "User CP" try to put your approximate location if you can so others my help you better, for future reference, if you could.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-96 can not listen to D-star... nor can any other scanner (sorry)

and based on talk in the Uniden forum (about added cost vs popularity) it may never come.

If your a ham operator pick up a cheap Icom 91/92 AD

Hi,

The digital scanner as the Pro-96 have the ability to listen transmittance of D-Star systems? O THERE any scanner to do?

stevelton

Wrong

You scanner guys need to do a little more research about what kind of scanners are out there, and what optional boards you can buy for them.

ICOM R2500 wideband receiver. You can buy the optional ut-118 d-star board, and receive d-star, and call sign info on the 2m, 440, and 1.2 voice transmissions.
Want to listen to P25. Ok then buy the ut122 board. However this is NOT a trunk tracking SCANNER, but a wide band scanner, and with the right board, you can receive almost any type of transmission mode.

ICOM R2500 IC-R2500 Wideband Receiver R-2500

Nice thing is, the same ut118 board is the same one that can be used in the V82 and U82 and the IC2200, to turn them into d-star radios.
Steven

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
You scanner guys need to do a little more research about what kind of scanners are out there, and what optional boards you can buy for them.

ICOM R2500 wideband receiver. You can buy the optional ut-118 d-star board, and receive d-star, and call sign info on the 2m, 440, and 1.2 voice transmissions.
Want to listen to P25. Ok then buy the ut122 board. However this is NOT a trunk tracking SCANNER, but a wide band scanner, and with the right board, you can receive almost any type of transmission mode.

ICOM R2500 IC-R2500 Wideband Receiver R-2500

Nice thing is, the same ut118 board is the same one that can be used in the V82 and U82 and the IC2200, to turn them into d-star radios.
Steven

a Receiver Vs. Scanner.....

n5ims

a Receiver Vs. Scanner.....

Please explain your issue here and correct me if I'm wrong. Since the post in question stated "this is NOT a trunk tracking SCANNER, but a wide band scanner" this comparison will be limited to scanners that don't do trunk tracking. Information about the ICOM R-2500 came from the ICOM web site at this link --> IC-R2500 Communications Receiver - Features - Icom America

A "Scanner" is a wide band receiver that has various memory locations (or objects, or whatever term may be in use by that scanner company for the same function) to hold frequencies and other information about that frequency "channel" to correctly receive traffic on that channel.. Many scanners also have the ability to scan frequency ranges and stop on ones that have activity. They generally have the ability to tune to a specific frequency without having to scan to find it.

A "Receiver" is a wide band receiver that allows you to tune to a specific frequency without having to scan to find it. Many also have the ability to scan frequency ranges and stop on ones that have activity. The ICOM R-2500 has 1000 alphanumeric memory channels where the user can hold frequencies and other information about that frequency "channel" to correctly receive traffic on that channel. Per ICOM's web site "With Icom’s Dynamic Memory Scan, DMS, you have a versatile memory channel management system at your command. The 1000 memory channels can be arranged by service or personal preference in the 21 memory banks."

So both a "Scanner" and a "Receiver" (or at least the ICOM R-2500) has memory "channels" that can be scanned, can scan a frequency range, directly tune a frequency. Please explain how they are so different then, remembering that a typical non-trunking scanner is a fairly low end device and the ICOM R-2500 is a rather high end device.

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
Please explain your issue here and correct me if I'm wrong. Since the post in question stated "this is NOT a trunk tracking SCANNER, but a wide band scanner" this comparison will be limited to scanners that don't do trunk tracking. Information about the ICOM R-2500 came from the ICOM web site at this link --> IC-R2500 Communications Receiver - Features - Icom America

A "Scanner" is a wide band receiver that has various memory locations (or objects, or whatever term may be in use by that scanner company for the same function) to hold frequencies and other information about that frequency "channel" to correctly receive traffic on that channel.. Many scanners also have the ability to scan frequency ranges and stop on ones that have activity. They generally have the ability to tune to a specific frequency without having to scan to find it.

A "Receiver" is a wide band receiver that allows you to tune to a specific frequency without having to scan to find it. Many also have the ability to scan frequency ranges and stop on ones that have activity. The ICOM R-2500 has 1000 alphanumeric memory channels where the user can hold frequencies and other information about that frequency "channel" to correctly receive traffic on that channel. Per ICOM's web site "With Icom’s Dynamic Memory Scan, DMS, you have a versatile memory channel management system at your command. The 1000 memory channels can be arranged by service or personal preference in the 21 memory banks."

So both a "Scanner" and a "Receiver" (or at least the ICOM R-2500) has memory "channels" that can be scanned, can scan a frequency range, directly tune a frequency. Please explain how they are so different then, remembering that a typical non-trunking scanner is a fairly low end device and the ICOM R-2500 is a rather high end device.

the difference is about 750 bucks. ;-)

stevelton

The OP wanted to know if there were ANY scanners out there that could receive D-Star. I didnt think that he meant ANY scanner under $200.
The R2500 can receive D-Star, that was the only point I was trying to make.
Would be cheaper to buy a ic-80 HT with d-star built in.
Steven

Caesar

Premium Subscriber
The OP wanted to know if there were ANY scanners out there that could receive D-Star. I didnt think that he meant ANY scanner under $200.
The R2500 can receive D-Star, that was the only point I was trying to make.
Would be cheaper to buy a ic-80 HT with d-star built in.
Steven

I think the Icom engineers would be a little upset if you tried to brand the R2500 as a "scanner". ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.