Dad needs help w/trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcgrath1

Is there anyone in the Northern part of the state that could help my Dad setup his Radio Schack Pro 2096.

He lives in Roscommon County and they recently changed frequencies and I believe they are all trunked now. This is why I bought him a new scanner. At any rate the RS store is not much help which is why I'm reaching out to the experts here.

So if there is anyone that can help me out please let me know. Listening to the scanner is a lifelong hobby for Dad, and all he has since Mom passed on.

Thanks--Tom

bigbluemsp

First I would use the free 30 day trial of Win 96.

www.starsoft.com

Then use the database to figure out what towers you will need for your area.

Program it all as MOT the bank and each tower freq.

Don't program anything into 0 bank or slot 0 in any bank.

You only have to program the red and blue freqs since they are the control channels for each tower.

Then go back to the Database and look for the MSP District which will be 3, 6, 7 depending on where you are in Northern Lower and 8 if your in the UP.

Enter the HEX or DEC on the right side of the program page making sure the black dot it set to either HEX or DEC...... If its set to HEX then enter only the HEX....

Sorry I can't be less technical then this...

Also make sure you have the programming cable for your scanner

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A caution here - many well meaning RS employees may try to sell the wrong programming cable. If you can find it - it's been discontinued, and if you have an available serial port - the 20-289 cable is what you want. They also sell a USB cable (20-047) which has proven to be fairly successful as well. Do not let a RS employee program it for you, unless s/he is clearly a scannist (ask them if they know about digital P25 - if they don't, skip the offer...)

However, before we jump anywhere, it might be useful for your father to understand trunking...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

I would have him read the Trunking Basics article, then the 2 articles by MT's Dan Veeneman. If he becomes comfortable with the concepts, he should read the Motorola related articles that aren't too deep technically. He should probably read the Project 25 link last.

73s Mike

Last edited:

seamusg

tmcgrath1 said:
Is there anyone in the Northern part of the state that could help my Dad setup his Radio Schack Pro 2096.

He lives in Roscommon County and they recently changed frequencies and I believe they are all trunked now. This is why I bought him a new scanner. At any rate the RS store is not much help which is why I'm reaching out to the experts here.

So if there is anyone that can help me out please let me know. Listening to the scanner is a lifelong hobby for Dad, and all he has since Mom passed on.

Thanks--Tom
WIN96 is the easiest way to program the scanner. The database for Roscommon Co. says they are on the MPSCS system. The only site I see in Roscommon Co. is Site: 418 St. Helen, see MPSCS here:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=100
If you get Win 96 you'll need the programing cable for it from RS, the USB cable is 20-047. If you want to program it by hand see the short cut here:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Programming_Shortcut_pro-2096
Program the freqs in as MOT and set the Bank to MOT, you only need the red and blue freqs for Site 418.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I don't want to offend anyone, but while your replies are appreciated, I'm not sure if anyone actually read the question:
tmcgrath1 said:

Thanks--Tom
Please note that the poster just signed up for RR and this is his first (and probably only) post on the forums. His dad is elderly and possibly unable to dig through trunking articles about Motorola radios and such. He is probably missing the "good ole days" of conventional scanning. Granted, I'm in Oklahoma, so I cannot come to Michigan to program a scanner. But the man is asking if there is anyone IN Michigan who may be able to stop by and help an elderly man reclaim his hobby of the past. Let's leave this one alone and wait until someone is able and willing to really help him. Then, if nobody is available, this man's son may consider the programming advice and program his dad's scanner himself. I can't help but make these comments as I see someone who is attempting to help his elderly dad but not getting the responses he needs from our community. Thanks.

seamusg

Gilligan said:
I don't want to offend anyone, but while your replies are appreciated, I'm not sure if anyone actually read the question:
Please note that the poster just signed up for RR and this is his first (and probably only) post on the forums. His dad is elderly and possibly unable to dig through trunking articles about Motorola radios and such. He is probably missing the "good ole days" of conventional scanning. Granted, I'm in Oklahoma, so I cannot come to Michigan to program a scanner. But the man is asking if there is anyone IN Michigan who may be able to stop by and help an elderly man reclaim his hobby of the past. Let's leave this one alone and wait until someone is able and willing to really help him. Then, if nobody is available, this man's son may consider the programming advice and program his dad's scanner himself. I can't help but make these comments as I see someone who is attempting to help his elderly dad but not getting the responses he needs from our community. Thanks.
I'm in Michigan, but too far away to program it for him, Most likely he's going to have to accept the info he was given on how to program it for his father. If he gets Win96 and the cable I may be able to help him further.

DewAddict

I can relate with your situation tmcgrath1 as I just set up my grandfather's scanner for him and he is 80 with a lifetime of listening.

I will assist you by phone if you like. If you are willing to pay shipping charges I would even program the scanner using my software and ship it back to you. I know my father would not want to mess around with trying to use the computer but that is up to you. You can reply via Private message, by clicking on my user name above my post if you want to set something up.

Rob
Brighton, MI

Gilligan

Database Admin
DewAddict said:
I can relate with your situation tmcgrath1 as I just set up my grandfather's scanner for him and he is 80 with a lifetime of listening.
Cool. I can only magine what kind of childhood that must have been. Having Grandpa around to let you play with the radios.
DewAddict said:
I will assist you by phone if you like. If you are willing to pay shipping charges I would even program the scanner using my software and ship it back to you.
This is what I'm talking about...

DewAddict

Actually both of my grandfather's were into scanning. I remember the first crystal controlled units they had with big red lamps that lit up as the radio scanned through the 5 channels...lol

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to email the Win96 file and have him download the trial version of the program? I'm not sure if all the banks are open in the trial version. They would still have to get a cable, however.

seamusg

tglendye said:
Is it possible to email the Win96 file and have him download the trial version of the program? I'm not sure if all the banks are open in the trial version. They would still have to get a cable, however.
It sounds like you've never used Win96. The trial version is the full version for 30 days. And a file can be sent.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
seamusg said:
It sounds like you've never used Win96. The trial version is the full version for 30 days. And a file can be sent.

No, I don't have a Pro96... just offering up ideas. The 30 day thing may not be a big deal for them if all the banks are opened. It would get him scanning again.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
programming

If the person asking can wait till the weekend of the firemans memorial & someone e-mails me the file for that area, I will be more than happy to program the radio. We will have a booth at the firemans memorial and they are more than welcome stop by & I'll drop it in the radio... Please feel free to contact me at the number below. I will be happy to make this persons listening more enjoyable.

Garry Watts
888-575-4610
Public Safety Communications, LLC

tmcgrath1

Thank you to all of you who have responded. I was overwhelmed with the quick responses. To add to this problem I am in Washington State over 2200 miles away, so using WIN96 is not going to be easy.

Dad is now 85 but still sharp as a tack, just a little slower getting around. He also has ZERO use for computers. Grew up in a different generation. I can't even get him to use the answering machine bought for him.

In reading through the thread it brought back childhood memories of him sitting in his lazy boy listening to his first scanner a Channel Master crystal set with the red LED's scanning back and forth.

I used to think the scanner was the greatest device ever created....at least until my teen years.

Garry (fnnm400) I gave Dad(Tom senior) your number to call you sometime next week. He lives in Houghton Lake and goes to the Firemans Memorial most years as he is a retired Asst. Fire Chief from Denton Township there. It will give him a excuse to get out and enjoy the day.

So thank you all again for the direction and willingness to step in and assist.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Glad to be of Help

I am glad to be of assistance. I guess with a little thought we can make things work out.. And the bonus is he is a retired chief... I have a few friends with places in Denton / Houghton Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.