Dade County -- GE System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choffa

I was told that Dade County was going to a new GE system that costs approximately $37 million to switch to and ridding the 800 MHz system using the Motorola XTS series. Supposedly there is no scanner to pick up that system they're switching to.

Can anyone help me out or is there any truth in this?

Thanks,
Chip

Mozilla

Dade County

Well, since Metro Dade county is already using an 800 MHZ EDACS system, I, m thinking your source is wrong..... The only connection , I can draw is maybe they meant the State system, which used to be Motorola has been replace as part of an overwhole system with a ProVoice system, on which they are running encryption. A look at DADE County in the reference forums will give you what you need.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
To add to this, Miami Dade does run a Motorola UHF Simulcast system for their
FD. It is not encrypted nor trunked.

edweirdFL

I did some Google searching this morning, and it looks like they have had the EDACS system for a while. From the Wiki here

"EDACS was created by General Electric and then further engineered by Ericsson. The EDACS technology has had numerous owners and is currently owned by M/A-COM (a subsidiary of Tyco)."

So perhaps your news is dated, and not new.

There are plenty of scanners that pickup EDACS.

If they are using ESK and/or Provoice like the State of FL system, then you could not pick them up, but

The database here says
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=208

"System Name: Miami-Dade County
County: Dade
System Type: EDACS Networked Standard
System Voice: Analog "

with this comment "A couple of Police Talkgroups are in AEGIS Digital mode or Encrypted" so it seems most of the stuff is monitorable.

Ed

Choffa

I was just going to see if they were switching what they were going to do with their XTS 800 Mhz radios that were no longer in use because I am in need for one with my local police department. I appreciate all of your replies and clarity on this issue.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
They don't have XTS 800 radios...they are not a Motorola based system.

Mozilla

Metro Dade

Metro Dade was VHF, in the 80's and early 90's, then had started to put up 800MHZ channels, first in conventional , and eventually the plan was to be trunked, but after Hurricane Andrew they went with GE- Ericsson,etc. and I thing in 1998 the system was fully up and operational. The cities in the area with Motorola trunking include, Miami, North Miam, Miami Beach, etc. , but many of them where using the STX series until the last 2-3 years and they have been replaced with newer radios. I left out the fact the FD was on UHF just because I figure it didn't matter for this case...
And the State of Florida utilized Astro Sabers, and most where traded in, or are being kept for interops.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Slightly off topic, but if I recall correctly, the NE (Intracoastal) district was on the 800 Mhz convetional for a while and they were using Moto equipment. They gave their old VHF frequency (155.910) to the then-new Hammocks District. I remember that when they first went to the GE system, they were on convetional during the first phase. That was around 1995-6. The Tac channels were known as "Support 1 and Support 2".

Mozilla

Metro Dade

No, you recalled the 800MHZ part correctly. They had started to put up some 800 channels in conventional... originally with Motorola equipment, then after Andrew it went to GE.

Speaking of Astro Sabers... Has DOC switched to the SLERS? Last time I was at one of the prisons I noticed that all the guards were still using Sabers. Maybe this is just in the Bradford/Union area?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Scubacouple2 said:
I am confused....Metro Dade not scannerable anymore?

Metro Dade (actually it's now Miami-Dade) has not changed anything; it's still scannable.

gcr33

I just wonder why anyone would ask about buying an XTS radio for their fire department on a Florida thread? If your dept/agency is on an 800 mhz trunking system you would need a system key/software and an authorized id. An id such 0001 is shut off right away by one or more persons who are on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.