• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

DaimlerChrysler to sell micro in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacombMonitor

This should go a long way in reducing the population problem in the U.S.! If they were to reduce ALL vehicles down to this size, it might be a partial solution to the fuel problems. But there is no way I would drive something like this today (not that I could even fit in it). Can you imagine getting slammed by a Hummer, or Escalade in this teeny car!

DaimlerChrysler to sell micro in U.S.
Two-seater Smart car has proven popular in Europe, would debut in ’07

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13542911/

Attachments

dimab

Premium Subscriber
I've seen something that looks identical to that already on the road. Not sure what the make or model was, too small to read (hehe)

Jay911

The model shown above is the "fortwo", available for a long time here in Canada already. There's a little parcel shelf/space in between the front seats' back and the tailgate. No room for anything else. They have one called the "fourmore" which is a 4-seater, IIRC.

As for how it would fend in a crash, take a peek at this clip from Top Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s&search=smart crash

cschmit

Jay said:
The model shown above is the "fortwo", available for a long time here in Canada already. There's a little parcel shelf/space in between the front seats' back and the tailgate. No room for anything else. They have one called the "fourmore" which is a 4-seater, IIRC.

As for how it would fend in a crash, take a peek at this clip from Top Gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s&search=smart%20crash
Well their go my legs...

JHaislet

How fugly!

These could be really dangerous on US highways...

Q: What's last thing that goes through a flies mind when it hits your windshield?

A: It's butt... :D
(any similarities between a fly and a micro are purely coincidental) :twisted:

those were all over the place when I was in Amsterdam and around here for the detroit auto show. Useless. How am I going to use that for my 5 person car pool? man uncofortable for the 50 mile drive each way!

rpowley

They just showed this thing on the news and my wife informed me that this is my next car - I'd better call my insurance guy to see if she has just bumped up my life insurance policy.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
That car is not meant for the soccer mom who has 3 carseats or the carpool guy who drives 6 people to work. It's designed for the SUV driver who insists on idling by himself inside his mammoth 7MPG highway land yacht as he inches towards his destination in bumper to bumper traffic. You know who you are.

The fact that this car even has a chance in the US market should tell you something - we need to conserve and cut out the daily waste.

-AZ

Astrak

Premium Subscriber
If people start driving those here in AZ, well I don't want to think about it no one knows how to drive here as it is I don't even want to think what the fatality rate would increase by with those things. Oh yea in the video were they driving a convertible in the rain?

OpSec

Code 21, Status 7
Database Admin
The chromed steel bumpers on my Caprice should come in handy in a crash with one of those.

mikegilbert

AZScanner said:
That car is not meant for the soccer mom who has 3 carseats or the carpool guy who drives 6 people to work. It's designed for the SUV driver who insists on idling by himself inside his mammoth 7MPG highway land yacht as he inches towards his destination in bumper to bumper traffic. You know who you are.

The fact that this car even has a chance in the US market should tell you something - we need to conserve and cut out the daily waste.

-AZ
I drove a Chevy Suburban for 5 years. Great truck, but it's wothless unless you have a real reason for it. Don't get me wrong- If I had the money, i'd be driving a new Supercharged Range Rover.

I bought a new VW Jetta TD in 2003- Hands down the best mix of power/fun/fuel efficiency. I know the Prius/Other Hybrid drivers out there are loyal to their improved golf carts, but they're so GD'd ugly.

So what If some douchebag can kick my a$$ off the line in his Chevy Avalanche- I'd like to see him drive From Seattle to Eugene, OR. Drive around for 5 days in Eugene. And Drive back to Seattle on one tank of diesel. I laugh at gas prices- I fill up once every 3 weeks and thank god I don't drive my Suburban.

I get 600+ miles a tank, mostly from mixed city/highway driving.

Long story short, The Smart Car has been a hit in Europe and will fill that void between motorscooter and compact. Here in Seattle, traffic is a joke- the roads are slowed to a crawl/stop for 6 hours a day with single-occupant vehicles trying to get to work.

I'd put my money on the Smart Car to win over the hearts [and car loans] of select demographics; the urban-dweller, the daily commuter, the eco-conscious and the "my car makes a statement about who I am" set.

-Mike

johnvassel

Amazing, just this week I had one pass me on the freeway here in Mi. Had Ontario plates.
The thing is small..way small, you head is just in front of the rear window. It zipped along pretty well, but I think you'd be hardpressed to get more than the Mrs. purse and a travel package of tissue in as luggage.

Al42

I get around 38 MPG on my Honda Accord. At the moment I have a (disassembled) huge ****tail table and 2 (disassembled) end tables in it and still have room for a large suitcase and 2 laptop cases-on-wheels.

Smart car? For a 30 mile (one way) commute ar 65-70 MPH? No thanks.

Go-24

Yah, I really want to be going down the highway with 18 wheelers flying by - NOT!

I heard on CNN last night that they have lost lots of money thus far with this car. I figure they stand to lose a lot more because this thing is NOT going to sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.