Dalhousie University Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannermanHFX

I've browsed the database and haven't been able to find information on how to receive Dal security radio communications. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to do that? Is the best bet to learn the discovery feature on my scanner and give that a try on campus? I have a BCD436HP

Thanks in advance!

BC_Scan

According to this :
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=4698
here is where to start
if you have not done so consider purchasing DMR upgrade for said scanner.
TAFL is showing a DMR system starting at 410 Mhz, that might be security, Im going to go out on a limb and say that those frequencies are a DMR system of some sort, you would have to discover this on your own.
Start by programming in only on receive 410.2875 + .4125 + .5375 + .6625 if you hear digital noise, that is DMR and you would need upgrade, than figure out type of system,
Like any University many users, custodial, engineering etc & Security on a shared pool of those four frequencies.
This will require you to do some groundwork. Good luck

ty12122

Dalhousie University runs a conventional (Not trunked) DMR system on UHF on the four frequencies mentioned above (410.2875 + 410.4125 + 410.5375 + 410.6625). Each repeater has two timeslots, a couple of timeslots have more then one talkgroup assigned to them, most with only one TG.

Can confirm that campus security, student "building attendants", groundskeeping, tradesmen, painters, HVAC techs/operators, student saferide, and facilities management truck operators all have talkgroups on the system.

Send me a PM, I might be able to answer any questions you might have.

BC_Scan

Tx TY for the response, but this is for the benefit of OP, if it where me and I was student there, I would put scanner in my locker for a day and let ANALYZE feature find LCN do its magic on these four freq,s, if you have done this allready and can confirm that it is conventional, than I believe it belongs in the database so original poster can gleam info that he wanted. just my two cents
hey scannnermanhfx please let us know how you faired out.

ScannermanHFX

Thanks everyone for their help so far. I'm really new to scanning, and don't know a whole lot about this. I did look up the TAFL search results from mciupa, and I put all of them into a favourites list and scanned them all for about 40 minutes or so at DAL. Heard nothing on any, except for some noise and I believe that was on 410.2875. I'm not a student there, and I don't have an easy way to leave a scanner there all day, I just periodically work in the area and wouldn't mind listening in. I end up at parties with friends there once in a while also so it could come in handy then.

I haven't purchased the DMR upgrade yet for my scanner, and I probably won't unless I find a bunch of other places that I want to listen to that I need it for.

Does anyone here know what other groups in the area I could listen to with that feature? I don't even know what DMR is yet, so I'm going to look through the Wiki here as I'm sure that will explain it.

If I do decide to get the upgrade, what's the process for discovering the DMR setup?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.