Dallas Fire and Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodiebnew

Premium Subscriber
I am moving to Dallas and programming my scanner for the area. I was curious why Dallas Police and Fire are still using conventional UHF systems and not digital or trunking. Just seems like a city that big would need more police channels than those that are shown. There is also a conventional and trunking Dallas system, would someone clarify what I need to hear everything Police/fire in Dallas

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
I am moving to Dallas and programming my scanner for the area. I was curious why Dallas Police and Fire are still using conventional UHF systems and not digital or trunking. Just seems like a city that big would need more police channels than those that are shown. There is also a conventional and trunking Dallas system, would someone clarify what I need to hear everything Police/fire in Dallas

The conventional system is what's used for the day to day patrol/dispatch operations and traffic. The majority of what you need is there.
Some of the DPD detectives and deployment units have channels in the regular use on the city's trunked system, which also includes public works, the Symphony Hall, Convention Center, and others.

n5ims

They're in the proces of building out a 700 MHz P-25 system that is planned to replace the current conventional UHF channels. There's no telling just when they'll move to the new system and if it's any indication, they started the process to narrowband the UHF channels as well. The current system does appear to work well for them at present.

reedeb

There is also the money considerations as well. Right now the budget is getting squeezed so it might be a little bit longer for em to change over [except narrowband] New systems require new radios and such, I believe the LAST estimate was 99 million dollars needed for it.

BTW brodiebnew, An earlw Welcome to Dallas!! I'm in channel 2 district.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.