Dallas Fire - Trunked System Rollout 2022

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I'm mildly surprised that they are using the same 44A NAC that's on the Ellis County layer.

I also wonder if, at some point, they roll the Dallas P25/NCTCOG system into NTIRN. I figure Dallas Simulcast will move, but would they just leave the others where they are now?
I think a few years from now all The major systems in Dallas, Ft worth, Denton, Collin counties will become one Big system similar to TXWARN P25 system in southeast Texas

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Talkgroup 5517 Law IO 9 has been active on the Dallas Layer 2 site for the last day or so. Same talkgroup for the Fort Worth Layer 1 site, but I do not hear the same traffic broadcast on both sites.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Radio service doing a lot of testing on the Dallas Layer 1 site this morning. Tgs 30101 and 30102 very strong here in NE Tarrant County.

has anyone tested to see how far west the range of Dallas L1/L2 reach yet on Unidens and Unications?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As previously noted, I was seeing various DFR units requesting to be out of service for 'training'. These were short terms, and apparently being done at the stations.

This morning, so far since 8am, I have heard about a half dozen fire companies (engines or trucks) to go out of service specifically for 'radio training'. We must be getting closer to the switchover date, whenever it is scheduled.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
As previously noted, I was seeing various DFR units requesting to be out of service for 'training'. These were short terms, and apparently being done at the stations.

This morning, so far since 8am, I have heard about a half dozen fire companies (engines or trucks) to go out of service specifically for 'radio training'. We must be getting closer to the switchover date, whenever it is scheduled.

I received a Dallas Fire Memorandum regarding radio training that was sent out September 30th. I'm not sure if it was intended for public viewing so I don't think it's able to be downloaded anywhere online but I could be wrong, I'll share some parts of it I think that could be beneficial.

It goes over saying they have new APX8000XE's ready for deployment to replace the APX7000XE's and I had a chuckle when I read this part: "they have minor differences, with the difference mainly being P25 system ready" - I thought the whole point of them getting the 7000's was to have dual band capability so when the new system is ready the can just switch zones from UHF to 7/800. Does this mean the 7000's were never meant to be used on the new system? If so what was the point and why not just get 6000s if only one band was going to be utilized at the time?

It says "...in-person field training will begin October 4th, 5th and 6th, located at each Battalion Chief or Deputy Chief house." It goes on to say "...each training should take approximately 5 hours..." and "...deployment of the radios will begin on October 10th, and we should be able to deploy more than half of the radios."

It mentions swapping radio for radio, each 7000 with all the accessories will be replaced with an 8000 with all accessories which include 2 batteries and a speaker mic among everything else. It does not mention the currently used 7000s coming back with the P25 system programmed so who knows what'll end up happening to those. Maybe a trade for Motorola to drill a hole in, idk.

Linn

has anyone tested to see how far west the range of Dallas L1/L2 reach yet on Unidens and Unications?

I can receive both layers in Burleson on my SDS's.

I've also been able to talk in using a portable on the Dallas public safety layer using IO and the GMRS system using their IO talk groups from Burleson.

If the coverage maps I have seen are accurate the systems will have a large footprint and will help with NTIRN IO coverage throughout Dallas, Denton, Collin, Rockwall, Kaufman and Ellis counties.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I can receive both layers in Burleson on my SDS's.

I've also been able to talk in using a portable on the Dallas public safety layer using IO and the GMRS system using their IO talk groups from Burleson.

If the coverage maps I have seen are accurate the systems will have a large footprint and will help with NTIRN IO coverage throughout Dallas, Denton, Collin, Rockwall, Kaufman and Ellis counties.

This is great to hear! I am moving back to DFW after 3 years in a few weeks and am kinda excited to start tracking this rollout of the Dallas layers of this system. Glad to hear I should be able to hear them from NRH.

benny919

Premium Subscriber
Numerous DFR companies are calling out of service for radio swap this morning. So far I've heard 28's, 27's, and 2's go out

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
I just posted something about DPD I learned from a Sargent at North Central yesterday, some new antennas installed on some supervisor's vehicle's. Maybe they are next in line ????

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Could be part of their contract to go to the 8000s. Regardless if a new 7000 was handed out month ago. If so motorola would have say to send them to dealer or a someone to surplus them or mulch them (drill a hole) or keep them and surplus them by the cities internal process. I've seen it go both ways. The older stuff like xts line I seen them not want anything to do with and have locals dispose in surplus themself. Now apx different story but still possible. They could also be repurposed to public works or others. Depends on what the setup arrangement is. More less for a large entity like that the 7000 is eol with 8000 being the go to minus those using single band 6000s

I received a Dallas Fire Memorandum regarding radio training that was sent out September 30th. I'm not sure if it was intended for public viewing so I don't think it's able to be downloaded anywhere online but I could be wrong, I'll share some parts of it I think that could be beneficial.

It goes over saying they have new APX8000XE's ready for deployment to replace the APX7000XE's and I had a chuckle when I read this part: "they have minor differences, with the difference mainly being P25 system ready" - I thought the whole point of them getting the 7000's was to have dual band capability so when the new system is ready the can just switch zones from UHF to 7/800. Does this mean the 7000's were never meant to be used on the new system? If so what was the point and why not just get 6000s if only one band was going to be utilized at the time?

It says "...in-person field training will begin October 4th, 5th and 6th, located at each Battalion Chief or Deputy Chief house." It goes on to say "...each training should take approximately 5 hours..." and "...deployment of the radios will begin on October 10th, and we should be able to deploy more than half of the radios."

It mentions swapping radio for radio, each 7000 with all the accessories will be replaced with an 8000 with all accessories which include 2 batteries and a speaker mic among everything else. It does not mention the currently used 7000s coming back with the P25 system programmed so who knows what'll end up happening to those. Maybe a trade for Motorola to drill a hole in, idk.

Michaelbeard

Premium Subscriber
With Dallas Fire joining the north texas interop stuff, Dallas pd will become encrypted according to a DPD source I use for info on shootings etc.

tangier

Premium Subscriber
I hope this is not the case - but yes, it appears two TGs showing up on Dallas Layer 1 (30549 and 30550) have been ENC.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Interesting. I heard from an officer that he was told regular dispatch channels would be in the clear with each division having several ENC channels to use as well as swat and other special units being ENC. Ultimately we will just have to wait and see.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I noticed some of the DSO channels were added to the database today, has DSO actually begun transitioning, or is this just a patch between the analog channel and the NTIRN system?

Any testing being done on talkgroups that may belong to DFR? Interested to see how they may change things up in terms of radios going from only a handful of analog frequencies to use to nearly a seemingly unlimited amount of talkgroups they could use for operations...