Dallas Fire - Trunked System Rollout 2022

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Is this still supposed to be connected to the NTIRN core as mentioned before? I noticed this is licensed to be a VHF P25 TRS, like Parker Co. If so, this would be the first VHF layer on NTIRN.
I'm pretty sure I've heard Cedar Hill fire on 36008, and imagine 36000-33999 will be the non-city, non-county users.

Just to double check, Cedar Hill or Cockrell Hill? Cockrell Hill is currently on the NCTCOG system.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Definitely a lot more testing has started this week. Still nothing that appears to be directly DPD/DFR related at least as far as what they are saying in testing.

Lots of new talkgroups showing up. My SDS shows several TGs keying up patched.

Not seeing much ENC yet, so hopefully they'll test anything they plan to ENC in the clear. But I also am not able to lock on the Dallas Layer 1 CC on my 996xt that I use for logging on Pro96Com and only able to see when a talkgroup is keyed up.

It appears the DSO dispatchers have possibly moved over, their UIDs are now popping up and their audio does not sound like it is a patch from the legacy VHF system.
This is the log of encrypted talkgroups, just logged today on Unitrunker 2. Several more from previous days all beginning with 31xxx. They are being tested.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 57

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Well if you haven't checked the Database. The PD Dispatch and FD talkgroups have been updated for the P25 system. Looks like FD will have 2 secure talkgroups and hopefully Fireground comms. will be on the Command talkgroups, so we will be able to monitor the entire event.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Well if you haven't checked the Database. The PD Dispatch and FD talkgroups have been updated for the P25 system. Looks like FD will have 2 secure talkgroups and hopefully Fireground comms. will be on the Command talkgroups, so we will be able to monitor the entire event.
There are also 4 tac channels listed. I would think thats where fireground comms would end up? I personally went ahead and filled in the blanks for "Tac E-Tac L" with an "(Unconfirmed)" tag in all of my radios in case I they key up on one and I can confirm its use. I would suspect there would be more than just 4 tactical talkgroups.

I'll probably also do the same that I did with filling in the blanks for DFR with DPD as well. But I suspect everything other than dispatch will be strapped with full-time encryption, but hopefully still grouped in order by division.

Speaking of which, aren't they supposed to be creating an additional patrol division for Deep Ellum? I wonder if we'll see that anytime soon and need to be on the lookout for any of their talkgroups?

Does anyone know if there will be a dedicated Alert TG for DFR's Locution?
I believe thats what TGID 32021 "Station Radio" will be used for. I think it should be changed to either "Station Alerting" or "DFR Locution" or something along those lines for clarity.

I also noticed talkgroup 7896 on Dallas Layer 2 with UIDs in the 5M range, which is reserved with units belonging to the state. Anyone know of its use? Has anyone seen it on any other NTIRN sites? There are no neighboring talkgroups in this range that have been identified as State of Texas use on the NTIRN. My guess is either a TxDPS talkgroup or possibly TxDOT...I know there are several TxDOT and TxDPS talkgroups on the GATRRS and AARRS systems in South and Central Texas, so could be similar to whatever those are used for down there.

These are the UIDs I've seen so far on 7896, in case anyone has logged them appearing on another system in the area: 5261186, 5621187, 5261189, 5261190, 5261191.

I should also mention, I did finally hear the NTIRN "LAW IO CALL" talkroup on Dallas Layers 1 and 2 a few days ago for a pursuit with Grand Prairie. I suspect to patch DSO in. I am still curious though why the Dallas layers aren't showing up as neighbor sites to any of the other NTIRN sites though?

Last edited:

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Do we have an estimated time when these will be live or are they already active?
Fire is supposed to be live "mid-January" as of earlier this month, which is this week. But I think it might have been delayed due to the fact OEM was supposed to be live earlier this month and they were still doing testing as of Monday.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Big THANK YOU to Russell or whomever else for the TG lists for DPD and DFR! I am charged with programming scanners for one of the local TV stations and will be adding these this weekend...but not telling anyone that might decide to punch a QK or two! We have had a dedicated APX radio for both DPD and DFR so the scanners were just backup! With the possibility of the big E I hope the bosses have been in touch with Dallas about how to handle that.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Logic says each patrol division could have ten talk groups if you base off the dispatch group. If they encrypt the other 9 or whatever, I think we can survive with at least dispatch in the clear. I'd speculate each division block will have Covert, Tactical, Investigative and a Car to car group which for the most part has been encrypted for years. It would be nice if there is a clear group for covert in addition to a secure group but I guess that's pushing the envelope. Any idea whether Love Field Police will be clear? And will DFR have a dedicated Airport group?

Harold

Premium Subscriber
This morning I am hearing Testing on the PD Dispatch Talkgroups. Same Radio ID testing on LAW IO 10 . Did not hear it but see a transmission logged on the FD Dispatch talkgroup.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Logic says each patrol division could have ten talk groups if you base off the dispatch group. If they encrypt the other 9 or whatever, I think we can survive with at least dispatch in the clear. I'd speculate each division block will have Covert, Tactical, Investigative and a Car to car group which for the most part has been encrypted for years. It would be nice if there is a clear group for covert in addition to a secure group but I guess that's pushing the envelope. Any idea whether Love Field Police will be clear? And will DFR have a dedicated Airport group?

That’s how my local PD does it. Main dispatch is in the clear and then each of the 7 main dispatch areas has 4 encrypted TAC TG’s.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Big THANK YOU to Russell or whomever ...

I can't take the credit. :)

I actively monitor both Dallas layers with UniTrunker. I was able to identify a pattern that matched PDs main Patrol TGs. It was great to get the confirmation. DFR, on the other, was a total surprise.

Russell

Last edited:

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I don’t believe this is DFR. Heard it earlier, I’m thinking it’s testing for one of the subscriber agencies planning to join the system. Possibly Cockrell Hill or SWRRS or someone else if I had to guess.

Also not the same voice as Locution, I would imagine their going to keep the existing Locution dispatch system that’s already in place. Would be very expensive and time consuming to change from Locution. I imagine there would have been approvals required for this due to how much it would cost and I can’t find anything about it in meeting minutes and agendas.

benny919

Premium Subscriber
The locution heard currently on 460.575 is different from what’s in the station. It’s the same
voice but faster, sounding more like Fort Worth’s. It also says the units assigned to the ticket before the run type. I wonder if on P25 it’ll sound like it does on the station or if they’ll keep it the same.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the new Dallas PD talk groups. Now, I am very confused. When I looked at the sites for Dallas, it shows layers 1 & 2; however, DPD talk groups don't show which layer to use.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the new Dallas PD talk groups. Now, I am very confused. When I looked at the sites for Dallas, it shows layers 1 & 2; however, DPD talk groups don't show which layer to use.

Originally, I speculated that Public Safety would be on Layer 1 and Public Works would be on Layer 2. It now appears that Public Safety will be on both layers, and Public Works will roam from layer 2 to layer 1 if needed. We'll have to pay attention as things ramp up to see if I'm correct this time.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Originally, I speculated that Public Safety would be on Layer 1 and Public Works would be on Layer 2. It now appears that Public Safety will be on both layers, and Public Works will roam from layer 2 to layer 1 if needed. We'll have to pay attention as things ramp up to see if I'm correct this time.
In the Public Safety Committee Meeting Video, previously posted, the spokesman giving the update, specifically says one layer is for Public Safety and the other is for Public Works. But I agree we just need to let it Play out. And to address the question Layer 1 appears to be the Public Safety layer.