Dallas P25 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodiebnew

Anyone have an ETA on when Dallas or Dallas County is going to switch over to digital? I know it has been in the works for awhile.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Anyone have an ETA on when Dallas or Dallas County is going to switch over to digital? I know it has been in the works for awhile.
The last date I saw posted anywhere was mid-2020. But no idea if that is still accurate, or has moved one way or the other.

I am hearing some occasion coverage checks on the Dallas Simulcast site of this system, so they may still be trying to determine number, and locations, of sites for the upcoming changeover.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
The last date I saw posted anywhere was mid-2020. But no idea if that is still accurate, or has moved one way or the other.

I am hearing some occasion coverage checks on the Dallas Simulcast site of this system, so they may still be trying to determine number, and locations, of sites for the upcoming changeover.

Any clue of the other NTCOG TGs are any good anymore? Have you seen any activity on them? If not, I suppose it might be a good idea to change the name of the RRDB to Dallas P25 Simulcast system or similar and delete the NTCOG TGs that are old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Look at this thread from late 2017. At that time, they were estimating a 30 month period until the system was complete. December 2017, with 30 months added, would be roughly 2020. But I have not seen anything in local media recently.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Any clue of the other NTCOG TGs are any good anymore? Have you seen any activity on them? If not, I suppose it might be a good idea to change the name of the RRDB to Dallas P25 Simulcast system or similar and delete the NTCOG TGs that are old.

I'm hearing quite a bit more activity on the system, but often it is at a time where I cn't readily see which site was in use (such as Dallas P25 simulcast, or Dallas NCTCOG).

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing quite a bit more activity on the system, but often it is at a time where I cn't readily see which site was in use (such as Dallas P25 simulcast, or Dallas NCTCOG).

I was curious because I thought I’ve read somewhere on the RR forums that the NCTCOG system was deprecated and the sites from this system were repurposed to new systems. I also don’t think I’ve ever had any sites other then the Dallas Simulcast site decode in the past 3 years.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was curious because I thought I’ve read somewhere on the RR forums that the NCTCOG system was deprecated and the sites from this system were repurposed to new systems. I also don’t think I’ve ever had any sites other then the Dallas Simulcast site decode in the past 3 years.

The only site that I remember as being decommissioned was the site at DFW Airport. That was originally shown as a companion to the Tarrant County site. From home, I'm out of range for the Collin, Denton, and Tarrant County sites, so no positive information either way as to their current status. If there other comments, showing one or more of those three as also being taken down, I missed them.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
The NCTCOG sites in Collin, Denton and Dallas counties are, indeed, still active. Some time back, the Tarrant County site was moved to the Dallas side as site 23 - directly connected rather than over ISSI. I'm not sure about the status of the Tarrant site as I'm too far away but I assume it remains active, as well. The P25 controller for the DFW Airport NCTCOG site was repurposed and is the current controller for the DFW Airport P25 system.

The Dallas P25 system and NCTCOG share the same controller and Sys ID. The RR database reflects that (the Sys ID is the database key so we don't want/can't separate them). However, in my scanners I have Dallas P25 and NCTCOG is separate favorites lists and it works quite well. The talk groups don't cross between Dallas P25 and NCTCOG systems (a sysadmin function).

I've run UniTrunker on both these systems and there is encrypted traffic on the NCTCOG system. I suspect that it is Fed traffic and may explain why we hear so little FBI, DEA, US Marshall, etc. traffic on the local Fed systems compared to what we used to hear.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.