Dallas Police/Fire - No longer on 460 mHz?

I know the City of Dallas has had police and fire channels on their trunking system, but it seems police and fire were also on an analog 460 mHz system. There hasn't been any activity on those frequencies for some time. Was this just a simulcast or were they actively using it and the trunking system at the same time? I'm assuming those agencies are now exclusively on the trunked system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I know the City of Dallas has had police and fire channels on their trunking system, but it seems police and fire were also on an analog 460 mHz system. There hasn't been any activity on those frequencies for some time. Was this just a simulcast or were they actively using it and the trunking system at the same time? I'm assuming those agencies are now exclusively on the trunked system.
I'm still getting traffic on some of the old 453 to 460MHz channels.
DFR Station Dispatch, 460.575, is consistently active on both the conventional side as well as on NTIRN.

Also seeing still at least some activity on the 453.875 fire response channel. The DPD patrol divisions that I monitor (Central, Southwest, & Traffic) seem to be almost exclusively on NTIRN.

Yes, I've heard the FD dispatch but that's it. I'm curious why they ran both for so long. I don't have a radio that can receive trunked networks so it was nice to be able to listen.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
There will be times I hear nothing on the DFR Station Alert talkgroup on NTIRN, but the UHF channel is still rattling off... so I'm pretty sure it's still patched, and still a UID of 0 when Locution keys up. I'm guessing they are having issues with implementing it in the TRS.

Have also heard a few DFR units key up on the analog DFR 1 patch as well randomly, definitely sounding patched.

Probably the same reason they're still only really using 4 of the talkgroups, even for structure fires and major incidents.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Why were they using both for so long? We're not all units equipped with the newer radios?
Not sure if all units were completely equipped when the changeover first started. They should be by now.

But I suspect that they left the old channels active, and patched to NTIRN for those who still did not understand exactly how to use the trunked systems. There are many more "channels" (talkgroups) available on NTIRN than what was available on the old analog channels. While I did hear various fire companies go out of service for 'radio training' (before the main changeover occurred) I never heard a single comment along that line for DPD elements. Doubtless that they did do some sort of training, but how much, and how effective it was, leaves many questions unanswered.

As noted, DFR is basically using 4 talkgroups. Fire 1 & Fire 2 are instead being used as Fire Equipment (on Fire 1), and the Rescues on Fire 2.

I also suspect that, at least for DFR, they don't have enough dispatchers to fully utilize the new capabilities. For response to a fire alarm box, they are using 'Channel 4', which is labeled as EMS 2. But, if you'll notice, that while fire companies are responding to a box, and using that channel for size-up and other activities at the scene, the minute the fire is tapped out, dispatch tells them, immediately, that Channel 4 will be shut down (no longer monitored), and all units should switch back to channel 1. So far, I have not seen any use of the designated Tac TGIDs for DFR. so they may not even have that easily accessible at 660.

I am hearing occasional traffic on Biotel 2, less so on Biotel 1. I have heard CareFlite checking in on Biotel 2, to advise details on the inbound patient, and at times rescues may also use it.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
I've been running Unitrunker 2 on the Dallas Layer 1 site for about 48hrs straight now. Not seeing anymore simulcast/patched talkgroups or users with Radio ID of "0". DSO seemed to be the last holdout but, even that has a RID now. Haven't seen the Station Alerting on the system for a while now, guess they could not get it to function properly.

Agree with Steve with the Dispatcher shortage. If you watched the Eric Hurst YouTube video of his ride along with FWFD, they visit the Alarm Office. They mention that they have multiple consoles( 6 or 7) on duty and a working incident gets a dedicated dispatcher to monitor it.

Part 2 of 3.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've been running Unitrunker 2 on the Dallas Layer 1 site for about 48hrs straight now. Not seeing anymore simulcast/patched talkgroups or users with Radio ID of "0". DSO seemed to be the last holdout but, even that has a RID now. Haven't seen the Station Alerting on the system for a while now, guess they could not get it to function properly.

Agree with Steve with the Dispatcher shortage. If you watched the Eric Hurst YouTube video of his ride along with FWFD, they visit the Alarm Office. They mention that they have multiple consoles( 6 or 7) on duty and a working incident gets a dedicated dispatcher to monitor it.

Part 2 of 3.
Harold,
Don't know if you are seeing what I am. But so far, I am seeing more DFR activity on Layer 2, instead of Layer 1, which was, supposedly, the site for public safety coms.

On my SDS200, which is monitoring a number of local systems, in addition to NTIRN, the log count is showing about twice as much DFR activity (on Fire 1 & Fire 2) on Dallas Layer 2, as compared to logs captured from Layer 1. The disparity that I'm seeing on my 325P2 is almost 5 times as many Layer 2 calls versus Layer 1.

Ubbe

Why were they using both for so long? We're not all units equipped with the newer radios?
Fire brigades often have special needs when it comes to radio communication. The guys that use oxygen masks and enter buildings on fire demands high audio quality, reliable communication and hardware that can withstand the excessive heat. It's not uncommon for them to choose another brand of radio than the rest of the public service branches that then involves other aspects of approvals and tests.

When our public service went digital 15 years ago the fire trucks went digital but some districts still used their old analog equipment for the oxygen mask guys 10 years later. Fire chiefs where not too excited about the digital audio quality and that it was more sensitiv to interference issues than the analog system.

/Ubbe