Dallas/Tarrant County 700 MHz TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
700 systems are definately coming. How far off before it happens is the real question. I'm just wondering where they are going to find the money to pay for them, there can't be enough grant money available to pay for all of it. Dallas is in a severe budget crunch and giving non public safety city employees furlough days. I'll bet it doesn't happen for at least 10-years. Unlike the federal government, cities can't print more money to pay for what they need or want!

redhelmet13

Add additional surcharge on landline and cell phones similar to the 911 surcharge fee. $0.25 fee per line per month on each phone. I hate taxes and surcharges for service but in the case of essential public safety functions I dont have a problem paying a small fee. Dont ask me about other non essential stuff though.

DFD855

I was down at Dawson Rd a few weeks ago and got to see the new P25 system. The system is almost complete except for antennas, coax, and tensrs setup for the other sites. The guys were telling me that they were waiting on more federal grant money to finish it out. the system was pretty impressive. I saw the dual smartzone switches, transmitters, and voters. Its all IP based so that is a change. the SZ controllers are software driven PC towers basically. and no more CEB's consoles are going to be "muxed' to so called virtual banks and they will be running mcc7500 consoles.And they have boxes and boxes of subscribers waiting to be programmed and issued to the FD and PD xts2500 MDL 2's and xtl2500's.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I see that the city of Dallas, has applied for an FCC license to erect a Project 25 TRS. Also, the city of Grapevine has applied for a three-site, Project 25 simulcast system. Looks like things are taking shape in this part of Texas.

73s

Ron
The address location entered for the Dallas license submittal is that short tower out by DFR Station 12, in the far southwest corner of the city. If they expand that to use city wide, they'll have to modify the application & add additional locations.

The Grapevine license app locations mirror those of the NE Tarrant County system. So, could be Grapevine is throwing the hat in the ring on behalf of that system. If the cities on the NE Tarrant system do join forces with Arlington on a new system, I presume this license would then become a part of the enlarged consortium.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I was down at Dawson Rd a few weeks ago and got to see the new P25 system. The system is almost complete except for antennas, coax, and tensrs setup for the other ...

Dawson is the 700 MHz overlay site for Dalas County.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
If the cities on the NE Tarrant system do join forces with Arlington on a new system, I presume this license would then become a part of the enlarged consortium.

Somehow, in the back of my mind, I have a feeling that a wide-area consortium is the planning stages for the Dallas-Fort Worth region. I remember one of my friends that works for Motorola mentioning this to me last year. Apparently, such wide-area coverage radio systems have a better chance of receiving federal funding.

73s

Ron

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Somehow, in the back of my mind, I have a feeling that a wide-area consortium is the planning stages for the Dallas-Fort Worth region. I remember one of my friends that works for Motorola mentioning this to me last year. Apparently, such wide-area coverage radio systems have a better chance of receiving federal funding.

73s

Ron
Ron,

While consolidation into a regional system, consortium, whatever term you prefer, would make both operational and funding sense, you're dealing with a lot of independently minded agencies (and their parent cities) that have trouble getting along on day to day operations, much less agreeing on some sort of regional system. An awful lot of municipal egos that need to be set aside before this could be accomplished.

If there is some sort of consolidation of communications, more likely it would begin on the Tarrant County side of the Metroplex. The Fort Worth/Tarrant County system already covers much of that county's cities (in number). If the Arlington/NE Tarrant "marriage" comes to fruition, then the impetus to take the next step and make it a true countywide system by combining with the Tarrant County group would be much stronger. Once that occurs, then the remaining cities will have more incentive to join as well.

The Dallas County side is so fractured, it'd take a large room for all the players to even meet. You have the small suburbs using Vhf conventional, the county also conventional Vhf, Dallas on Uhf, plus multiple trunked systems for the various larger suburbs. I'm not sure you could get that crowd to agree on Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts for the coffee break.

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be to everybody's advantage, operationally, and as far as getting grants to speed the process. And it would definitely be better for inter-agency cooperation than what is done now. It may be interesting over the next year or so to see what develops.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
From the Fort Worth City Councile agenda online at: M&C Review

DATE: 1/26/2010 REFERENCE NO.: **C-24028 LOG NAME: 04REGIONAL INTEROPERABLE COMMUNICATIONS
CODE: C TYPE: CONSENT PUBLIC HEARING: NO
SUBJECT: Authorize the Execution of an Interlocal Agreement for Regional Interoperable Communications with the North Central Texas Council of Governments to Allow the City of Fort Worth to Participate in a Regional P25 Trunked Overlay Radio System at No Cost to the City

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECOMMENDATION:
It is recommended that City Council authorize the City Manager to execute an Interlocal Agreement for Regional Interoperable Communications with the North Central Texas Council of Governments to allow the City of Fort Worth to participate in a Regional P25 Trunked Overlay Radio System at no cost to the City and receive four base station repeaters funded by a Public Safety Interoperable Communications Grant.

DISCUSSION:
Today when public safety first responders in the North Texas Region cross jurisdictional boundaries in their duties in many cases they either lose radio communications or have to go through a manual process to change radio systems/frequencies to maintain necessary communications with their own organizations or others. The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is assisting local agencies in initiating a standards-based interoperable radio communications system that will provide effective communications among public safety agencies' personnel operating within a four county region (Tarrant County, Dallas County, Collin County and Denton County).

The NCTCOG is receiving a grant from the United States Department of Commerce through the Department of Homeland Security and the Texas Division of Emergency Management to pay for services and equipment to be used for standards-based interoperability. The NCTCOG is requesting that the City of Fort Worth provide one of four sites for the region's radio base station repeaters.

The system uses P25 standards based technology, which will make it possible for Public Safety personnel from other cities, other states or even Federal agencies to communicate with each other utilizing their own P25 radios when responding to multi-jurisdictional incidents in this region, saving time and possibly lives. The P25 standard will be the basis for the next generation Fort Worth Radio System. As such the next generation system will interoperate with this four county regional system providing a seamless communications capability for the City's public safety personnel.

This Interlocal Agreement will allow NCTCOG to locate four base station repeaters on the City's leased Burnett Plaza radio site, which will be networked to similar sites located in Dallas County, Denton County and Collin County allowing P25 radios in one agency to communicate with one another or with other agencies throughout the four county area. Through console patching, non P25 radios could communicate from their home area of operation with radios or Dispatch Center in another county. Ultimately, the system can be expanded to allow other similar systems to network together making radio communications possible across the state or even further.

This Interlocal Agreement will allow title of ownership of the base station repeaters to be transferred to the City.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I salute the COG for taking the lead on this project. It is about time. Wouldn't it be great to have a regional wide system that everyone can communicate with each other on during chases, large fires, natural disasters or worst.

Para078

It would be interesting to see Dallas on a regional system. With their modus operandi of patching together systems that don't interface they could really screw up the system.

dpdsgt

DFD855 do you know if they are going to issue officers new radios or are they just going to patch our system and keep us on the xts2500 uhf? We really need radios that have the "man down" button activated and individual identifiers..people always sitting on mics! major safety issues. I'm surprised the city is buying new radios after we just got these like 3yrs ago.

DFD855

yeah they told me at the radio shop that everyone will be issued new radios (again) dont know when yet...

dpdsgt

thx dfd 855

great thx...this system we are on is so far outdated it is absurd! people constantly walking on each other and no emergency button ...the city really puts officers at risk unnecessarily by not getting with the times..

SCPD

QRT
great thx...this system we are on is so far outdated it is absurd! people constantly walking on each other and no emergency button ...the city really puts officers at risk unnecessarily by not getting with the times..

Funny how the City of Dallas get's grants for River front projects, Street cars and computer but no grants or money for a 'Modern' radio system.

dpdsgt

soooo true

I couldn't agree with you more!..hotels and frills around town are more important to this city then the police officers who work the streets!..I was told that before my time they attempted to use EDACS but the system failed and the city had to sue to get out of the contract...during the past week for the NBA events, we were using APX 7500 radios as well as our regular UHF system..the command post and squad leaders had the APX...I hope DFD855 is right and we all get 700 mhz radios very soon...he said they had boxes of radios ready to go and I have seen yall post about dallas getting 700mhz frequency licenses,,,I assume this is all grant money because the officers have not heard anything at all about any of this..I really really pray we upgrade to 700mhz...this WILL save lives!

Status
Not open for further replies.