Dane Countywide digital system article

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Yes, politics are killing the system. The cart was before the horse when they issued the technical RFP before the governance issues (which includes one-time and ongoing funding) were worked out. Technical solutions don't equal political solutions--and most definitely visa-versa. No contract has been signed, per my understanding, on the technical contract yet. If they don't watch out, even if they come to a political solution to system governance, they may exceed the allowable timeframe waiting for technical contract signature and end up having to issue a new RFP, or at least they'd have to negotiate an update. That could be a big monkey wrench, wouldn't it?

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Radio Testing

An interesting item: Maple Bluff Fire did an independent study of P25 and Analog voice quality of multiple handitalkies. They may have some grant money of their own to spend, whether the County system takes off or not.

Testing was specific to Kenwood TK-5210, Motorola XTS-2500, Motorola XTS-5000, Motorola APX-7000, EF Johnson SL 5100, Tait 9135, and ICOM 9011 under normal firefighter work conditions.

See it at: Narrowband Radio Test (Maple Bluff Fire Department Official Site)

Premium Subscriber
An interesting item: Maple Bluff Fire did an independent study of P25 and Analog voice quality of multiple handitalkies. They may have some grant money of their own to spend, whether the County system takes off or not.

Testing was specific to Kenwood TK-5210, Motorola XTS-2500, Motorola XTS-5000, Motorola APX-7000, EF Johnson SL 5100, Tait 9135, and ICOM 9011 under normal firefighter work conditions.

See it at: Narrowband Radio Test (Maple Bluff Fire Department Official Site)
The EF Johnson did outstanding in my opinion with the beta firmware. Great test !

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, 1268. The beta software seemed significantly better.

Yes, N_Jay, you and Voltaire are right on target with that quote!

I'm glad the county wide digital program is not moving forward, it would mean that a lot of the channels I like to listen to would be encrypted :(

Status
Not open for further replies.